General Impressions

You have a new studio that developed its first game, which is apparently riddled with issues only an amateur could make. Not sure how Ys Net could accomplish anything you’d like them to accomplish. I’d be shocked if they’re able to fix many of these flaws next time around.

Perhaps it’s better to let the people who enjoy Shenmue 3 continue enjoying it and face the fact that what you like about Shenmue is gone and won’t ever return? Maybe that’ll make the next game less disappointing.

I'd like to engage with you in conversation but this comes off a bit as sarcastic and not serious. I'm looking forward to (although not particularly invested in) what comes in the patch and DLC. It's not unheard of these days for games to improve over time. There's some notable cases of this (what's that game called, No Man's Sky?).

I'd like to engage with you in conversation but this comes off a bit as sarcastic and not serious. I'm looking forward to (although not particularly invested in) what comes in the patch and DLC. It's not unheard of these days for games to improve over time. There's some notable cases of this (what's that game called, No Man's Sky?).
I truly think, after looking through the credits, the team is just very small and inexperienced, aside from Yu Suzuki. NMS was always meant to be an endless kind of game, so it makes sense it’s gotten continued support. I’m not sure Ys Net can tweak this game significantly or that it’s even worth the effort; they’re not gonna pick up major sales at this point.

I truly think, after looking through the credits, the team is just very small and inexperienced, aside from Yu Suzuki. NMS was always meant to be an endless kind of game, so it makes sense it’s gotten continued support. I’m not sure Ys Net can tweak this game significantly.
Yeah, I don't think so either (level of tweaking) but looking forward to how it turns out anyway. Maybe they hack away at some of the low hanging fruit and it turns the corner for some people.

I backed at a similar level. I did it because I really sincerely loved Shenmue 1 & 2 in a way I didnt love other video games and had the disposable income at the time. I also probably didn't even spend a fraction of that on games in the 15 years that had passed. I was pretty much absent from gaming since the Xbox went off the market...

The final result is definitely not the final result of my dreams, but I had no real expectations going in. I think if I had, I'd be much more like the @register2viewspoilerforum-s of the forum. I just find it difficult to feel strongly one way or another about the game now that it's out. There is plenty of good criticism in the OP's post, but also a fair share of what I would definitely call nitpicking--things that I wouldn't be surprised feature in much higher budget games. (For example, complaining that Ryo's mouth doesn't move when he says he can't go somewhere--that's just nitpicking. Sorry, but it is). On the other hand, it's easy to nitpick when the game is presented somewhat amateurishly, so I get it.

Anyway, I like Shenmue III enough that I'd happily purchase Shenmue IV, but I also doubt I'd spend more than the retail price of the game if funding were open to the fans. If the market's not there, it's not there. Hopefully YS can work on something else if that happens. I hope the true hardcore Dojo members and real fans can move on as well and try to dwell less on what other people think about the game and figure out how to actually engage in real discussions about the game.

I think it's great there were people like yourself backing the game at that incredible level. I backed it at 300 and I expected a game similar in size like the first game and got a bigger experience but also a game that had some serious issues, especially in pacing. Overall I'm pretty satisfied but now I'm worried about the sequel. Again.

Look, No one expected Shenmue to become a AAA Title. Its a very niche game for a very niche crowd. Nobody knows about the series except for us here, and The developers knew this. Unfortunately, with such a small amount of supporters and the over saturated B.S Way games are these days (Blockbuster COD and GTA games, im lookin right at ya), Shenmue 3 never had a chance to reach the potential that we all deserved it to reach since we put in alot of money. 2000 is alot of money no doubt, so you deserved alot more for your efforts and contribution to this game.

That being said, Shenmue 3 was a tough one for me, because i personally was overhyped for it since it was announced, and i sorta expected too much i guess.....It just didn't embody that traveler from far away getting lost and ending up on rooftops feel that shenmue 2 had.

In Shenmue 2, we had epic fights, running through the dark hallways handcuffed to ren, Falling huge heights, discovering shocking revelations and along the way, we witnessed Ryo meet so many interesting characters in multiple different places all with their own ideas and agendas..............But here in 3, there was definitely a lack of all of those aspects... I'm not let down by the game itself. its a miracle that it ever existed and im honestly very thankful i had the chance to play it, but i dont see a Shenmue 4 coming at all. Yu did mention though, that 3 was gonna be a slower pace, focusing on Ryo and Shenhua more on a personal level.

But i think the reason this one disappointed so many people is that, there wasnt a real sense of travel that we had in the last game. In Bailu village, i was pumped to see where our story would lead us, but it fell flat because Niaowu seemed unimportant to the story, ironic as that sounds.

It lead up to an anti climatic ending because of the lack of strong characters getting introduced in this chapter. there wasnt enough time to really build a bond with any of the new characters.

I think it's great there were people like yourself backing the game at that incredible level. I backed it at 300 and I expected a game similar in size like the first game and got a bigger experience but also a game that had some serious issues, especially in pacing. Overall I'm pretty satisfied but now I'm worried about the sequel. Again.

I'm extremely worried about a sequel

Look, No one expected Shenmue to become a AAA Title. Its a very niche game for a very niche crowd. Nobody knows about the series except for us here, and The developers knew this. Unfortunately, with such a small amount of supporters and the over saturated B.S Way games are these days (Blockbuster COD and GTA games, im lookin right at ya), Shenmue 3 never had a chance to reach the potential that we all deserved it to reach since we put in alot of money. 2000 is alot of money no doubt, so you deserved alot more for your efforts and contribution to this game.

That being said, Shenmue 3 was a tough one for me, because i personally was overhyped for it since it was announced, and i sorta expected too much i guess.....It just didn't embody that traveler from far away getting lost and ending up on rooftops feel that shenmue 2 had.

In Shenmue 2, we had epic fights, running through the dark hallways handcuffed to ren, Falling huge heights, discovering shocking revelations and along the way, we witnessed Ryo meet so many interesting characters in multiple different places all with their own ideas and agendas..............But here in 3, there was definitely a lack of all of those aspects... I'm not let down by the game itself. its a miracle that it ever existed and im honestly very thankful i had the chance to play it, but i dont see a Shenmue 4 coming at all. Yu did mention though, that 3 was gonna be a slower pace, focusing on Ryo and Shenhua more on a personal level.

But i think the reason this one disappointed so many people is that, there wasnt a real sense of travel that we had in the last game. In Bailu village, i was pumped to see where our story would lead us, but it fell flat because Niaowu seemed unimportant to the story, ironic as that sounds.

It lead up to an anti climatic ending because of the lack of strong characters getting introduced in this chapter. there wasnt enough time to really build a bond with any of the new characters.
I agree with your opinion around not having enough time to build bonds with the characters apart from Shenhua.

I understand being disappointed, but for me it comes down to expectations. At the time of the KS campaign I never would've dreamed we'd get such a fully-fledged Shenmue experience with III. The majority of complaints I've seen come down to budget, even the more structural issues like pacing, and I refuse to drag them through the mud for those aspects of the game.

Because, ultimately, Yu and his team poured their heart and soul into III and did the best they could with what they had. It may not be perfect, but I'm so happy it exists, and now I'm desperate for IV.

the jokes about kof14's initial graphics being psone cgi tier were legendary, this image still cracks me up
Qa1p4hg0m_SxDswDh3PDE0Qs9KUXJQqOqqnj52je3QA.jpg

Honestly, Street Fighter V isn't that much better when you look at it.

Honestly, Street Fighter V isn't that much better when you look at it.
fuck no street fighter 5 was leagues better than kof14 was at its start, kof14 looked legitimately awful graphics-wise and had barely anything resembling a artstyle cause the models were so incomplete.

fuck no street fighter 5 was leagues better than kof14 was at its start, kof14 looked legitimately awful graphics-wise and had barely anything resembling a artstyle cause the models were so incomplete.
XIV did get a nice graphics patch at one point to make it look better. But yeah SFV looks leagues better and anyone claiming otherwise... well I not so politely disagree. I mean, yes we can all laugh at Ken's face/hair on the character select screen but when actually fighting he doesn't look that bad! Plus what SFV benefits from is some truly excellent animations for each character (Dhalsim especially looks flippin' fantastic in this game).

I don't think you and others (Truck specifically) are sincere in your replies when it comes to those that criticize the game. I think your aim is to downplay and while not using the term multiple times in this thread, I think you believe most critism is "nit-picky." That's the general spirit I take away from you and others that routinely reply in step to critism of the game. It comes off as fake and forced.

I don't wish to engage one who's done little other than be negative and talk down about others, but 3 things:

1. No, you truly cannot gage sincerity from posts, however I will do that right now and...

2. ... you have friggin' audacity and balls to question someone's, "sincerity," when their username is, "register2viewspoilerforum." Tongue-in-cheek or not, yeah, you're borderline full of it.

3. It hasn't struck a nerve or anything (it's just text, nothing more), but I honestly don't really know HOW to be insincere; I can't even hug or smile to someone without being 100% sincere, as I don't know how to fake it (I've come to realize that I believe I'm the only person I've ever encountered who is like this lol). So yes, everything that comes out of my mouth (or my fingers) is with 100% sincerity (a personal gripe or nitpick is a personal ******* gripe or nitpick, if it isn't objectively bad. That's the truth, deal with it). Take it or leave it, but that's straight from the horse's mouth.

I think it would be best to avoid each other going forward

I don't wish to engage one who's done little other than be negative and talk down about others, but 3 things:

1. No, you truly cannot gage sincerity from posts, however I will do that right now and...

2. ... you have friggin' audacity and balls to question someone's, "sincerity," when their username is, "register2viewspoilerforum." Tongue-in-cheek or not, yeah, you're borderline full of it.

3. It hasn't struck a nerve or anything (it's just text, nothing more), but I honestly don't really know HOW to be insincere; I can't even hug or smile to someone without being 100% sincere, as I don't know how to fake it (I've come to realize that I believe I'm the only person I've ever encountered who is like this lol). So yes, everything that comes out of my mouth (or my fingers) is with 100% sincerity (a personal gripe or nitpick is a personal ******* gripe or nitpick, if it isn't objectively bad. That's the truth, deal with it). Take it or leave it, but that's straight from the horse's mouth.

I think it would be best to avoid each other going forward
This already played out (the referenced posts and replies are there for others to see) and since it's unlikely for us to come to an agreement on our viewpoints without derailing the thread further, we'll have to agree to disagree, move on, and let those that were following along make their own decision. Have a good weekend.

"The cartoony graphical style chosen for NPCs in this game is not good, and the graphics of NPCs should resemble realism just like the original games did."

For me this was an HUGE issue! Most of the NPCs looks just stupid. Even the main villains.
There's always been unrealistic villains, though. Chai's basically a fantasy character, and Dou Niu looks and sounds pretty darn stupid to me.

Back