General RGG Discussion

Wow, Kiryu part in Yakuza 4 is super fast, I mean, Part I, ok, let's get out of Okinawa, Part II, ey, substories and Karaoke! Part 3 "autmatic story drive mode On". I will play Part IV today, but I think that this one is the fastest one to play only the essential and the main story.

So far, one of the best plots of the series.

Really? 4 is almost written as poorly as 2...

Seeing where you are in the story though, your opinion might change soon... that and Kiryu being relegated to a secondary character is a travesty.

Really? 4 is almost written as poorly as 2...

Seeing where you are in the story though, your opinion might change soon... that and Kiryu being relegated to a secondary character is a travesty.
I mean, I have to complete it, but so far the Saejima story and how all 4 character crosess I really like it, but yes, the ending can ruin it, 2 teached me that. About Kiryu, I think that he is there because otherwise people would not buy the game, but you can remove him and everything will keep more or less the same.

4’s story I feel is told better than 2, but it’s still pretty weak overall. I loved the setup to the finale though. I started washing dishes while the ending played, so I wasn’t paying attention. However, I’m pretty positive that after that bullshit Tanimura boss battle, nothing would’ve been satisfying.

It really was awesome seeing the individual characters cross paths though. I feel like those moments were one of the reasons why the studio had multiple playable characters in this one. Playing as Tanimura and meeting Akiyama was really cool, and it still took me by surprise for some reason, despite having beaten the game before. I didn’t like how Saejima showed up later on though, or when Tanimura and Akiyama are running through the sewers. I’m all of letting the audience use their brains, but even for me I found these jumps in the storytelling just a little jarring.

Just fired up Yakuza 5 immediately after finishing 4. Really, playing all these back to back to back really makes the evolution of the series stand out so much more. Ever since playing 0, I stopped caring for Kiryu’s fighting style (the “Legendary Dragon” 1-5 style). But seeing the jump in fluidity between 4 and 5 is crazy. This is the most fun I’ve had with his style in any game, which is surprising considering that both of the previous times I started the game, I beat his section. I just never noticed how fun it was before. That dropkick backflip is pretty stupid looking though.

I mean, I have to complete it, but so far the Saejima story and how all 4 character crosess I really like it, but yes, the ending can ruin it, 2 teached me that. About Kiryu, I think that he is there because otherwise people would not buy the game, but you can remove him and everything will keep more or less the same.

Bingo on your Kiryu statement.

Again, Saejima's character arc and story is just phenomenal, even though they handled it a bit poorly, once the reveal comes out.

They showed 15 minutes of Yakuza 7 gameplay in the IGN stream and Scott Strichart answered some questions
but it wasnt really new or special. It was the demo area and pretty much all of the questions were
about the combat system. Also still no release date info, just that it will be available on Xbox Series X day one.

I’m starting to remember why I didn’t finish Yakuza 5 when it first came to the west on PS3. I just started Saejima’s chapter and it’s really fucking boring. It’s nothing but “Baba, Baba, Baba”. These semi-cut scenes are really out of control. I appreciate that they’re fully voiced instead of being text only, but Jesus they hardly move anything along. I’m all for character development, but it REALLY feels like a whole ton of this nonsense could’ve been trimmed down. Hell, the beginning of the game is like 30 minutes of Kiryu listening to his taxi driver boss tell him what kind of man he is. It’s gotten to the point where unless it’s an actual cinematic playing where the story actually moves, I just get up and go do something else until the semi- cut scene is done.

Yeah I didn’t really get why the prison sequence had to be so long in 5 when it was just a big retread of the part in 4. The whole hunting thing I found a lot more interesting even though doing it all in one go broke the entire pacing of the story.

I’m starting to remember why I didn’t finish Yakuza 5 when it first came to the west on PS3. I just started Saejima’s chapter and it’s really fucking boring. It’s nothing but “Baba, Baba, Baba”. These semi-cut scenes are really out of control. I appreciate that they’re fully voiced instead of being text only, but Jesus they hardly move anything along. I’m all for character development, but it REALLY feels like a whole ton of this nonsense could’ve been trimmed down. Hell, the beginning of the game is like 30 minutes of Kiryu listening to his taxi driver boss tell him what kind of man he is. It’s gotten to the point where unless it’s an actual cinematic playing where the story actually moves, I just get up and go do something else until the semi- cut scene is done.

The last 2 chapters of Saejima's part are REALLY dense and chock full of content, so I think the first two were just done to try and flesh out the story a bit, as much as they could.

Personally, I find that the only part of 5 that truly lags, from a story standpoint; the rest is pretty fast-paced and engaging!

Also, I too had an issue with that first chapter for Kiryu...

I remember enjoying the hunting segment with Saejima on my first play through attempt, even if by that time I didn’t care about what was going on with the story. Is it just me, or does his fighting style play a tad bit differently from how it was in 4? I was having a hard time with the timing of his basic combos. At first, I thought his charge moves were removed. The timing seems a little off compared to 4, where they were a bit easier to pull off.

Soooooo ... Sega and Atlus were in the PC Gaming Show ...
with Persona 4 Gold and Humankind.
Absolutely zero content about any Yakuza, Judgment, Fist of the North Star game / version / remaster / sequel whatever.
Nothing.

Soooooo ... Sega and Atlus were in the PC Gaming Show ...
with Persona 4 Gold and Humankind.
Absolutely zero content about any Yakuza, Judgment, Fist of the North Star game / version / remaster / sequel whatever.
Nothing.
Deeply triggered by the lack of Yakuza 3 port. DEEPLY. All my hopes and dreams are back on the New Game + Expo (June 23rd).

Final Episode of Yakuza 4. I think I will upgrade all 4 characters before finishing the game.

I was watching some of the cut scenes from Yakuza 6 the other night and I can honestly say this is one of the very, very few video games that actually moved me. I didn’t appreciate the game enough during my first play through, but after essentially playing through the entire damn series during this quarantine, watching Yakuza 6 truly felt like saying goodbye to an old friend, as corny as that sounds.

I was watching some of the cut scenes from Yakuza 6 the other night and I can honestly say this is one of the very, very few video games that actually moved me. I didn’t appreciate the game enough during my first play through, but after essentially playing through the entire damn series during this quarantine, watching Yakuza 6 truly felt like saying goodbye to an old friend, as corny as that sounds.

I wish they'd patch this back into the Western version...this bloody song over that opening credits scene set the tone perfectly.

Back