General RGG Discussion

Sobo?

While I don't speak more than 50 words of Japanese and I don't know what half of them mean, I listened to that song so much when I played the game, I memorized the entirety of the song lol.

Proper annunciation and everything too ;). The entire game had so much heart in it and it can truly be seen in the story progression and Hirose's entire arc; this is a game that tugs at the heartstrings, but it is done in the, "Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku," way, not the shoehorning 2/Kiwami 2 way.

Akiyama Level up to 20, most of the substories done.

Now I am with the most boring character ever, Tanimura, trying to level him up. He is so bland I am starting missing Yagami at some points (well, not really, but almost)

I think time is vindicating my thoughts and stances towards the series; for years, I was a black sheep because I strongly disliked 2 and 4, while loving 3 and 5.

As the series has become more accessible and played, more and more people like 3 and 5 and 2/4 are falling by the wayside.

I just got to Haruka’s chapter in 5, just short of where I first stopped years ago. It’s still a great change of pace, considering how bored I was with the previous chapter. I’m hoping to finish the game before the end of the month, but it’s unlikely.

Isn't it? I know OL and/or @SCQ absolutely hated it and refused to go back to the game as a result, but I thought it was a wonderful change of PACE and her AD is the most-heartwarming and pleasant of all of them.

It's funny, I was a video game design major back in college from 2005-2008. My big project, I guess like a thesis or something, was a game that played almost exactly like Yakuza, just a bit more light-hearted and with the Jet Grind Radio asthetic (and me as the main character, of course). Even these random dance battle sequences were included. I got the idea from an episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog, where Courage breakdance battles a big-ass robot.

Usually im terrible at rhythm games and don't like them much, but the fact they did it Parrapa style rather than Amplitude style made me happy and I did enjoy the change of pace. Plus, there were literally like 3 songs you were even required to do for story.

For the life of me, I still cannot understand why SEGA won't localize Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin outside Japan. The Ryu Ga Gotoku franchise has proven profitable globally. Titles such as Sekiro, Mark of the Ninja, Nioh, Ninja Ryukenden, Strider, Samurai Spirits, Metal Gear Rising Revengence, and the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima prove that people love samurai and shinobi video games. Also unlike Kenzan, there really isn't anything that could be considered controversial outside of Japan.

Such a wonderful game, Ishin is...

I think they just want to move away from the spinoffs and any remastering they do, will be reserved for the mainline games.

Updated 'Events' in OP with the upcoming Tokyo Games Show Online 2020 taking place this September 23rd - 27th. We usually see RGG Studio announcements prior to then but anything can happen with 99% of SEGA's workforce working from home atm.

Also ICYMI I want to mention that 'Playstation Hits' versions of Yakuza 6, Kiwami 2 and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is available from tomorrow across Europe from many online retailers. Just preordered FotNS: LP from thegamecollection.net for £13.95 since I originally passed on it at launch (in favor of something else).

-----

Catching up on prior convos here: Love Sobo! That track has soul and agree with danielmann it's absence is felt in that intro. I'm glad RGG have opted to nagoshiate negotiate these music licensing deals world wide from K2 onwards.

Great to hear some of you enjoying/revisiting Yak 3-5 remastered collection. Such a great package!

Also good to also see/hear more from peeps starting/binging 0/K1 for the first time on the Gamepass side of things too.

Should be a good few months ahead!

For the life of me, I still cannot understand why SEGA won't localize Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin outside Japan. The Ryu Ga Gotoku franchise has proven profitable globally. Titles such as Sekiro, Mark of the Ninja, Nioh, Ninja Ryukenden, Strider, Samurai Spirits, Metal Gear Rising Revengence, and the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima prove that people love samurai and shinobi video games. Also unlike Kenzan, there really isn't anything that could be considered controversial outside of Japan.

Yeah i wish they would give us at least a "samurai package" with Kenzan and Ishin in english 1080p 60 fps.
But with all the ups and downs over the last 2-3 years with these two games and how it got super quiet again
after that small hopeful time frame, it feels like we will never see or hear anything about it ever again.
There really was a time where i thought it could be possible because of Sega's survey
and Daisuke Sato's interviews but in the end it was Sega that made a final comment
and they said no plans. And Sega / RGG still needs to bring Fist of the North Star, Judgment and Yakuza 3-6 to PC
and then theres also the multi platform release for Yakuza 7.
So i think nothing will happen with Ishin and Kenzan, case closed, put them in the lost and forgotten games closet.

I’m starting to struggle over here with Yakuza 5. I just started Shinada’s chapter, but mid-way through Saejima’s chapter I was already bored out of my mind. Everything after Kiryu I just tried to play the story straight through without touching any side quests or activities, which is a first for me for the series. Even then, I don’t know if I’ll be able to beat this one. Feels like such a chore. I gotta rank this after 4 but above Kiwami as my least-liked games in the series.

Yakuza 4
Tanimura Leveled Up to 20, also all substories completed, also all missions with the red guys, also all missions with the trainer foreign police girl, I needed to do all that to raise him up to max. Thanks god I will only have to use him in the final chapter.

Now playing Saejima, the fighting style is pretty complex, I still need to get use to it. Also I want to train this Hideo guy in the Dojo but so far is elusive as Cabaret at the begining or Toy Race, I need some tips on that area.

I still don´t know if try to Platinum it, I will decide once I finish the last chapter

Yeah, I always had a tough time playing as Saejima at first. His timing takes some getting used to. I think Kiryu’s beast style from Yakuza 0 kind of showed how Saejima’s style could’ve been, and I probably would’ve preferred it that way. As it stands, I think Saejima is pretty slow, but if his moves couldn’t be stopped mid-combo like how the beast mode was, then the speed/strength trade-off would make more sense.

I finished Shinada’s chapter in Yakuza 5 yesterday. Totally blew right through it, only doing one or two side quests and not even touching any of the other side activities. I really liked his character though, despite the whole baseball storyline boring me to tears. I didn’t bother leveling him up completely either, but I still liked his fighting style (it was really well animated, if a little slow). And I LOVED that Sho Aikawa was in this. Seriously, he was one of the reasons why I kept pushing through the game in the first place.

Last edited:
Man...this Yakuza 5 story...

This has got to be the biggest pile of bullshit-ass nonsense in any game I’ve played, let alone this series. It’s like the developers held a meeting with their team and just said the words pop star, disgraced baseball player, secret marriage, retired action star, and man-eating grizzly bear...GO!

Yet, it still doesn’t manage to piss me off more than Yakuza 2’s story.

Back