General RGG Discussion

Thats pretty stupid. I mean why dont they put a code in the PS4 retail box that one PS account can redeem
on PS5 for a free upgrade. Yeah sure you could share this code but someone still paid for the game
and also Xbox users only have to pay once and that unlocks the game for every Xbox console.
If you buy the normal Xbox one version, you will also get the Series X enhanced version.
Thats not cool. The new consoles arent even here yet and it already starts to be annoying.

Its almost like their plan is to kill physical this generation.

Think about it.

Digital owners get a free upgrade while physical owners have to pay for another.

Digital only consoles are 100$ cheaper than their counterparts trying to entice people to make the switch to the cheaper console where they can sting you with digital sales.

Yeah, it’s almost like they’re trying to kill the physical market.

You can buy a physical Watch Dogs Legion and AC Valhalla version on PS4
and you will get a free PS5 upgrade (works digital too of course),
all you have to do is enter the disc
and you always need the disc to start the game because of the license.
It will download the PS5 version for free.

I wonder who is at fault here though. If It’s left to the publisher to make the decision then doesn’t the blame fall on SEGA for this? Are we really surprised considering they charged for New Game Plus DLC in Japan?

I wonder who is at fault here though. If It’s left to the publisher to make the decision then doesn’t the blame fall on SEGA for this? Are we really surprised considering they charged for New Game Plus DLC in Japan?

I think in one of the PS blogs after the official PS5 reveal it said that it is possible to upgrade every PS4 game
to a PS5 version for free but only if the publisher / studio is interested in that function.
So it seems like Sony is offering this feature and its probably pretty easy
but they cant force anyone to use this function.
Which means that it is a decision made by Sega, probably to make sure
that people wont wait until March 2021 and then buy cheap PS4 disc versions from Ebay.
I mean out of all money hungry companies even Ubisoft offers free upgrades (physical and digital)
for two of their biggest upcoming titles ...
What does this tell us about Sega

I don't think this is a big issue, tbh. The PS4 will essentially be dead a year from now. There will be a bunch of cross-generation releases, but I don't see the PS4 getting any major titles after Q3 of 2021.

Also, the longer the PS5 has been out, the less interested publishers will become in supporting the PS4. It has always been this way with consoles, it will always be this way with consoles.

This whole PS5 upgrade issue will only be relevant for a very limited amount of time.

Ishin!, 0 and Kiwami, all came out on the PS3.

PS4 will still get major titles until the end of 2022 at the earliest.

As it's day 1 PC now, I'll be playing that for sure, but at the same time I really want to have a Physical version to go with my Yak Collection. I'll most likely keep my PS4 order to keep the boxes similar. They just posted this as well, so turns out they are not screwing over Physical owners ( still want that PS4 theme from when they screwed us over for the Remastered Collection though!! :p )

Why can't Sega clarify these things earlier, my god.
How hard is it to put these information in the other tweet?
Why even release official comments on PR sites, Twitter etc where it reads as the upgrade is only for digital buyers
when in fact you can also upgrade the disc version?
Just make clear statements. Come on Sega, how long are you in this business?

You can buy a physical Watch Dogs Legion and AC Valhalla version on PS4
and you will get a free PS5 upgrade (works digital too of course),
all you have to do is enter the disc
and you always need the disc to start the game because of the license.
It will download the PS5 version for free.
Then it is certainly weird. Why would they do such an arbitrary decision.

Edit: I should finish reading the thread before replying. What a messy PR situation they got...

Ishin!, 0 and Kiwami, all came out on the PS3.

PS4 will still get major titles until the end of 2022 at the earliest.
Those were Japan only, weren't they?

Anyway, this whole PS5 upgrade thing is a non-issue to me. If someone is planning to get a PS5 any time soon, they shouldn't be buying cross-generation games on PS4 anymore imho. Just get the games on PS5 directly and you're good.

Question... is Yakuza 7 going to be on Gamerpass?

At the end of October or the beginning of November,
there will be a new video interview with Toshihiro Nagoshi about the Yakuza 15th Anniversary.

EjDKWIvUMAIS_8R

Those were Japan only, weren't they?

Anyway, this whole PS5 upgrade thing is a non-issue to me. If someone is planning to get a PS5 any time soon, they shouldn't be buying cross-generation games on PS4 anymore imho. Just get the games on PS5 directly and you're good.

Hmm, Ishin! and 0, yes. Kiwami though, I'm not sure... I think you're right and it was.

Still, my point remains ;)

I've been really thinking about going back to Yakuza 0 lately and doing another playthrough. Either that or 6. Something about 0 and 6 has been entering my brain lately saying "PLAY 'EM AGAIN BEFORE Y7"

I've still got get around to beating the PS4 remasters of 4 and 5 yet as well. Too many games.

Isn't there already a Yakuza Movie?

I can't say I've seen it mind you...

Yes but thats a low budget indie movie, made with a permission by Sega.
Sega, Nagoshi, RGG were not directly involved in the production. They just said yeah okay,
and then everything else was handled by the movie company.

The new project seems more like the movie / studio crew have the right to create a Yakuza project
but it will only happen if Sega / Nagoshi approve the whole thing.

Back