Hands On Review - Jeuxvideo.com (French)

This guy is obviously lying lol.

I'm not one to cry about negative reviews, there are plenty of things in Shenmue games that people hate and I understand that perfectly well. Shenmue III's graphics aren't the best, but his claim about it "not even being 720p" is just a blatant lie. We've already seen the footage from IGN Japan that's from an earlier build, and it's clear, crisp 1080p.

I would take anything from this publication with an absolute mountain of salt, just on that basis alone.

This guy is obviously lying lol.

I'm not one to cry about negative reviews, there are plenty of things in Shenmue games that people hate and I understand that perfectly well. Shenmue III's graphics aren't the best, but his claim about it "not even being 720p" is just a blatant lie. We've already seen the footage from IGN Japan that's from an earlier build, and it's clear, crisp 1080p.

I would take anything from this publication with an absolute mountain of salt, just on that basis alone.

The journalist is a cool guy, I don't think he had bad intentions. Probably an issue with the PC.

About most of the things he described, we saw them through our own eyes on IGN so his article is mainly a matter of opinion as said above. It's not like he was free to explore the full game or even the full Guilin area. If I decided to create this thread, it's to bring you the few new facts rather than what he thought about the game.

The journalist is a cool guy, I don't think he had bad intentions. Probably an issue with the PC.

About most of the things he described, we saw them through our own eyes on IGN so his article is mainly a matter of opinion as said above. It's not like he was free to explore the full game or even the full Guilin area. If I decided to create this thread, it's to bring you the few new facts rather than what he thought about the game.

If it was an issue with the hardware and not the game, and he's written a hands-on review where he's telling people the game isn't capable of running at 720p+ then that is even worse tbh.

Like I said, I would not take a single word from this journo/publication seriously.

It was a non-starter on credibility once he made the student project comparison. Of all the hyperbole, that one sticks out as particularly the most vicious, and false.

The National Film and Television School is probably one of the best funded media schools anywhere, and you'll hear pretty commonly that it is a world class establishment to learn at. It is almost literally considered the best film school in the world, for example.

They have a game design course, and one of the games that was (is?) being produced out of that unit is something called Falling Sky; a cinematic game where you drive about using Google Maps. They technically have technology not even Ys Net have access to, like full motion capture rigs that include the face cameras, and a permanent mo-cap studio + professional staff to clean the data up for utilisation in-game.

This is five minutes of their gameplay:

Shenmue III is definitely not a student project. It is a functional and fleshed out actual video game. Calling it a student project is harmful and disrespectful to the staff who put in years of work to make it, and setting unrealistic heights for students making the likes of Falling Sky to hit.

Here's the thing--

Shenmue will always bring out the ire in some people for inexplicable reasons. It is as if someone reached into a time capsule, pulled out a game loads of people wanted. But wait--it wasn't the game they wanted to see return, subconsciously or otherwise.

Thus, they hate it. That..or they can't understand that this is a low-budget entry to give fans what they wanted and the fact somehow it IS, while they don't like it, simply melts their brain.

Some of these people have never played nor understood what these games are and who this game is for. It is a continuation of a Dreamcast-era series with some tweaks. That's it. Sorry.

People used to give me the side-eye when I defended Duke Nukem Forever. "It's a basic FPS like 30 years old!".

That was it's point. That was always its point of its return to existence and release.

What a drama queen. That line about it looking like a student art project is super disrespectful. I'd definitely like to have a word with him about where his mind was on that one. Has he SEEN the typical student project?

People used to give me the side-eye when I defended Duke Nukem Forever. "It's a basic FPS like 30 years old!".

That was it's point. That was always its point of its return to existence and release.

This is exactly it. We didn't want GTA: Guilin. We didn't want Yakuza 1987. We didn't want Elder Scrolls: East of Morrowind. We wanted Shenmue III. This is Shenmue III.

"Let me answer the messages that say "Yes, but it's not the graphics that matter, it's the story" blah. Yes I know, thanks. And I want to say: precisely. The first thing you have to understand is that we aren't talking about a game that's just a little ugly. The whole technical aspect is wrong. I've rarely seen a game in such a technical state, a few months before release. That being said. "Yes, but the story". The story is impossible to experience if the characters bringing it to life are as alive as crash test dummies. Have fourth-graders play Romeo and Juliet and the emotion will not be the same as if you see the play performed by real actors. It may seem extreme but that's where we are with Shenmue 3."

well i think that the last sentence is true, there is only two games i recall in the recent past that look so rough so close to the release,one is just one year ago:the quiet man.i agree that if shenmue 3 will hit the shelf in this state or close to this it will be teared apart, in this final rush they need to polish all this bad angles of the game,even if the budget is low i don't think they cannot achieve decent animations(that's the 90% of the problem)

Is this the point where everybody suddenly forgets the other positive hands-on sessions or...?

French games journalists are a bit... dramatic, I find. Maybe it's the language.

It's not the language only. It's the choice of words. They're being REALLY HARSH. The preview changed a few words as they claimed the game looked like "student project". Other french previews talk about an industrial disaster. Really, this is why I hope Deep Silver do something. Because as of right now, my expectations were reviews sitting in the "60" range. I'm not expecting it to review like Syberia 3.

For those who wonder what it means:

It's not far off from high 50s to 60s though. I'm betting a similar metascore, maybe higher.
Syberia had many problems using Unity though.
And yeah, there are parts in Shenmue that look amateurish, today a single guy can make a great looking game if they play around their limitations (that's why there are so many FPS walking simulators in abandoned places).

Except Romain Mahut from Gameblog, french medias are unanimous and that makes me sad. The interview from Puyo (Gamekult), he looks really affected (he's an old fan). So unless he's acting, I still don't get it.

Except Romain Mahut from Gameblog, french medias are unanimous and that makes me sad. The interview from Puyo (Gamekult), he looks really affected (he's an old fan). So unless he's acting, I still don't get it.

Honestly, a lot of what Puyo is saying is bullshit. Saying the NPCs aren't doing anything is bullshit. We know they have a routine. We see it from the Bailu footage. I honestly feel like he basically sat in the room, played some mini games and called it a day. Now, it's not the press fault if DS and YsNet decided to show this to the press. They're underselling their game, but Puyo also is saying a lot of shit.
When he's saying the UI feels "early"' that's full of shit. When he's saying "NPCs feels like 2002 tier" when it comes to their facial animations when it's basically in the range of AA titles you can play this generation. He's claiming the open world is limited. Genius played like 15 minutes of an adventure game. When it comes to the battle system, while I agree with the inertia, the guy is totally misinformed. He's claiming "the QTE has been integrated to the combat system". He's been playing in Automatic Mode -___-.
I wont talk about the Yakuza comment (especially when it comes to NPCs :) )

What you're saying makes a lot of sense actually. It's just that I don't understand why they're doing this free bashing. Same for jv.com and even Julien Chieze (I remember seeing old videos from him where he was supporting the game). Anyway, I'll just ignore these reviews until we see more gameplay. It should be a matter of months.

About the underselling, that's what I'm afraid of. Some kind of strategy to create a wow effect at the final release. Not sure if this will work.

Back