Hands On Review - Jeuxvideo.com (French)

What you're saying makes a lot of sense actually. It's just that I don't understand why they're doing this free bashing. Same for jv.com and even Julien Chieze (I remember seeing old videos from him where he was supporting the game). Anyway, I'll just ignore these reviews until we see more gameplay. It should be a matter of months.

About the underselling, that's what I'm afraid of. Some kind of strategy to create a wow effect at the final release. Not sure if this will work.

Because Julien Chièze's opinion is based on Jeuxvideo.com's article and another guy making a video.
It's not to say everything's fine in Shenmue III. And as I said, they really need to fix the jankiness of the game, because we can already see how it is used to push the narrative that "the game is a disaster because of it".

But the line is crossed when people resort to misinformation or straight up lies.

Is it possible someone was messing around with the settings during their session and set the graphics to low or something? Might explain the huge difference in some of the impressions.

Is it possible someone was messing around with the settings during their session and set the graphics to low or something? Might explain the huge difference in some of the impressions.

Nah. Actually John told me elsewhere that it seems the game was running at a low resolution. The difference is that he knows it doesn't matter, since you can always runs at higher resolutions on PC.

This is not free bashing - neither a conspiracy as I could read somewhere. Shenmue 3 videos are truly shocking depending the way you're receptive. I swear I was shocked the same way the first time I watched at the IGN videos and I easily understand these negative reviews. The demo has a lot of little flaws which the sum is really tricky to handle when you've originally a great opinion of Shenmue 1&2.

So I don't agree with most of Ghostrick is saying there. For instance, UI does feel "early". In terms of design, it's horrible. As Shenmue fans, we can appreciate because it's what we wants. But show a random person this, he's likely to find this ugly.

The problem with these journalists, is multiple:
  • They expected a beta or close-to-gold game. Puyo was told the game was almost definitive.
  • They probably expected a formula revamp, because they might think Shenmue formula is a bit dated (Puyo was not sure if Shenmue 1&2 has aged welI). They didn't expect the game design would exactly be the same.
  • Great memories they had with the game are likely to idealize their views and twist their comparisons. Remember that Shenmue 1 & 2 were the top in terms of tech revolution and realistic art direction.
  • They were unprofessional - or, with fairer words, they think "previews" are only there to give their primal feeling to prevent customers from being surprised at the release... while as readers, we also need their perspective, their expertise. As "journalists", they have to take the development into account while giving their opinion. And S3 dev is WIP and special at the same time. S3 has no equivalent in gaming history so you can't preview this game like another random game.
Add the respective personality of the French journalists:
  • Puyo from Gamekult is known to be naturally pessimistic, about every games.
  • Epyon from jeuxvideo.com is often unpredictable. And I don't think he's used to play independent games.
  • While being not a journalist, Chris Liberty's is used to play AAA games (Uncharted, Spiderman, etc). From all previews, his criticism is the poorest as it's obsessed by the technique.
That's why these French previews have eventually poor value. But wait for Gameblog hands on impressions, Romain Mahut is a true fan and I believe he's writing his preview on the demo.

Last edited:
This is not free bashing - neither a conspiracy as I could read somewhere. Shenmue 3 videos are truly shocking depending the way you're receptive. I swear I was shocked the same way the first time I watched at the IGN videos and I easily understand these negative reviews. The demo has a lot of little flaws which the sum is really tricky to handle when you've originally a great opinion of Shenmue 1&2.

So I don't agree with most of Ghostrick is saying there. For instance, UI does feel "early". In terms of design, it's horrible. As Shenmue fans, we can appreciate because it's what we wants. But show a random person this, he's likely to find this ugly.

The problem with these journalists, is multiple:
  • They expected a beta or close-to-gold game. Puyo was told the game was almost definitive.
  • They probably expected a formula revamp, because they might think Shenmue formula is a bit dated (Puyo was not sure if Shenmue 1&2 has aged welI). They didn't expect the game design would exactly be the same.
  • Great memories they had with the game are likely to idealize their views and twist their comparisons. Remember that Shenmue 1 & 2 were the top in terms of tech revolution and realistic art direction.
  • They were unprofessional - or, with fairer words, they think "previews" are only there to give their primal feeling to prevent customers from being surprised at the release... while as readers, we also need their perspective, their expertise. As "journalists", they have to take the development into account while giving their opinion. And S3 dev is WIP and special at the same time. S3 has no equivalent in gaming history so you can't preview this game like another random game.
Add the respective personality of the French journalists:
  • Puyo from Gamekult is known to be naturally pessimistic, about every games.
  • Epyon from jeuxvideo.com is often unpredictable. And I don't think he's used to play independent games.
  • While being not a journalist, Chris Liberty's is used to play AAA games (Uncharted, Spiderman, etc). From all previews, his criticism is the poorest as it's obsessed by the technique.
That's why these French previews have eventually poor value. But wait for Gameblog hands on impressions, Romain Mahut is a true fan and I believe he's writing his preview on the demo.

In term of design the UI actually feels complete. It's well animated, it has its own unique style and font. It's well elaborated and nothing from it feels like "unfinished". Every buttons has a nice animation coming with it.

I don’t have any issue with the UI. I honestly don’t get why people are so bothered with it.

Back