Higher res texture mods possible (example photo)

I've been tinkering and it is possible to add higher resolution textures.
This was a quick one I did. I'm not saying it looks better, it was just the first texture I found.
But the original texture file was 512x512 whereas the new one is 768x768.

I'm encountering errors when going too high so I will play about a bit more.

Attachments

• 20180821180535_1.jpg
    20180821180535_1.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 280
  • 20180821191155_1.jpg
    20180821191155_1.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 285
I can't wait to see the mods you guys make for this game man... I'm so excited for that more than anything...

Lovely stuff you guys are gonna be on this so fast!

Just a suggestion for your errors (knowing nothing about the engine) have you considered resizing your new texture to a power of 2? Like 512×512 1024*1024 etc?

As a rule, I usually double everything, not sure why it's giving errors, I'm sure I will figure out why at some point.
Here is a quick example of the bookshelf.
Obviously, the planking would need positioning so it was more logical. But I'm quickly testing and that's the texture I had at hand.

Attachments

• 20180821194711_1.jpg
    20180821194711_1.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 20180821200156_1.jpg
    20180821200156_1.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 155
How are you changing the textures? Are you changing them in the actual game files or in memory?

Dumping and injecting. At this stage, it's mostly for sourcing textures and seeing how well they apply (and how they are applied).

Guessing you're using SpecialK, yea I tried it, works fine.

Attachments

• cFuBrER.jpg
    cFuBrER.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Shenmue_2018-08-21_18-16-52.jpg
    Shenmue_2018-08-21_18-16-52.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 136
Yep. Still trying to get into the original files without the need of dumping them. But as it stands that's the only current way.
I haven't tried an ENB , Reshade or Sweet FX yet either.

They thought it would be great to make a proprietary container format to store all the files.
I hope someone can make a unpacker/repacker for these files.

Great work! This will be the biggest Shenmue mod ever if we can get people together who are good textture artists to redo everything. I just wish we knew how to rig the Shenmue Passport models with the correct facial animations for super HD.

I know this was done before as shown off here by this video I saw on YouTube.

But it appears that once the facial animations kick in it goes back to the original facial model. I think making a composite model of the Passport head with the Ryo model from Shenmue 2 might be good here? But again the animations become an issue.

From what I heard it was actually the models ripped directly from Shenmue. That was back on the old forums aaround 2010-12 I believe I was speaking to a guy about ripping that model for use in Garry's mod. He said he was going to rip it but never got around to it. A lot of those guys workign on that Gmod project left. But from what I remember that was ripped from the original game for Sonic All Stars.

Edit: Holy shit no it appears the head is from the Passport model and the body was redone!

23814.png

Download for this extracted model is available here too! How lucky are we?

https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/sonicandsegaallstarsracing/model/23814/

It would have to be pieced together differently from the Shenmue version... it couldn't just be simple.

Yeah, rigging and animating a new model for a game that never had mod tools is going to be quite the undertaking. But that is why the passport model was suggested as it would be most likely easier.

It's doable, just time-consuming.
I pasted the patch on and then blended, changed the colour and added a leather texture effect (which is subtle, but quite nice)
I mean, that's 15 mins work, with a lot more time I think even a texture overhaul is doable, even if it has to be injected.
jacket1.png

Wow nice! So I guess at least having the tiger patch from that model came in handy. That looks way nicer already. I quite like the look. With more polish and more people helping out this will come together in no time.

Yeah, I think with enough time, polish and people we could certainly aim for a nice restoration project.
I have a hard drive that has about 60gb of hi-res textures, anything from plants, brick and fabrics so I tend to use them for blending and making textures seem a bit more hi-res than they are.

jacket2.jpg

WOW, the cracks in the leatther are such a nice touch! I am still kind of a noob with texture editing, but I have made and published 2 historical total conversion mods for Battlefield 2 on PC one in Korean War, and another remake of BF 1943, working on my 3rd mod Baattlefield 1944 now which is more or less an HD remake of 1942. I can do basic texture edits here and there. I am just not super skilled to take on something like this or do a lot more than what you are doing. But who knows maybe if I get more skilled I could help out with this one day?

Back