Higher res texture mods possible (example photo)

If there are some incredible mods released by the community, I'll have to pick up the Steam version of Shenmue 1 & 2 as well. I've been playing it on the Xbox.

Damn. I wish my HDD didn't crash a few years ago I made a lot of hd textures...

I wouldn't mind taking a crack at making a higher-res Ryo's jacket texture if someone can give me the original and tell me the size and format required.

I used to have all the original textures ripped from disc but I lost them at some point.

I believe someone has already changed Ryo's jacket by using either the passport or Sega racing model. (see image below).
I don't know who the original person was who ripped it / compiled it.

Just want to post a quick 15min mockup I did.
Funny.png

As you can see I took some creative liberties with it, but just wanted to see how quick the turnaround was.

funny2.png

Original for reference.

SlimLivelyAntarcticgiantpetrel-poster.jpg

Great work so far!

Is there a dedicated topic for HD textures? I'm a graphic designer and I've been dying for an excuse to recreate some of the signs in the game. If I have time this weekend, I think I'd like to tackle some of them.

Great work so far!

Is there a dedicated topic for HD textures? I'm a graphic designer and I've been dying for an excuse to recreate some of the signs in the game. If I have time this weekend, I think I'd like to tackle some of them.

I would say this is pretty much the thread for discussing it. Because it was the first thread showing off textures and stuff but up to the community if they want to make an official thread. I think this thread is good enough for it though. But there are already a few other threads started about the same topic.

I would say this is pretty much the thread for discussing it. Because it was the first thread showing off textures and stuff but up to the community if they want to make an official thread. I think this thread is good enough for it though. But there are already a few other threads started about the same topic.

Yeah, it would be great to consolidate everyone and disperse chunks of textures to be worked on.

I'm down for retexturing as well. I've done retextures for other games in the past like FFX and Mass Effect 2/3 so I'd like to make mods for Shenmue as well.

Someone send me a texture pack from the HD collection and I will work on new textures. I don't think I have a good enough PC to run the game and well.tbh right now I can't even afford to buy it....So I can't test it properly but if they look the same as GDI texture rips I can work with the files.

The textures are all the same as the Xbox and Dreamcast version of the games. So they should work for you to use as a template if you can extract the files.

The textures are all the same as the Xbox and Dreamcast version of the games. So they should work for you to use as a template if you can extract the files.

What's the maximum resolution I should be using, if I'm modding the face textures? Or if that's too broad an answer, what's the maximum scope I should increase by? 50%? 100%? I can probably test them out after, but it helps to know the max that's working right now.

Related question: any new ideas on why it's crashing when you increase the res further?

I have no idea what the cap is currently. I've seen some people say the game crashes for them if you go much higher than the default res, but I've injected 2k, 4k and 8k textures just to see what I could get away with and it worked fine each time.

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.25 - 06.03.23.42.jpg
    Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.25 - 06.03.23.42.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 105
I have no idea what the cap is currently. I've seen some people say the game crashes for them if you go much higher than the default res, but I've injected 2k, 4k and 8k textures just to see what I could get away with and it worked fine each time.

The resolution just needs to be a power of 2, I think.

Back