How do you envision the Ryo vs. Lan Di encounter?

AXM

Man Moe
PSN
AxmShenmue
XBL
ShenmueAxm85
Steam
AxmShenmue
Firstly,

@SquallAdv had an interesting theory for the newest trailer.

If you watch the trailer closely Lan-Di segment is located at the same room as the fight with the old man and Ren watching, so probably is just the old man saying something like: "Ryo, imagine/visualize your worst fear/enemy/nightmare...", and then replace the oldman with Lan Di. But probably he's not really there, and it's just an illusion/mental image.

I wanted to spin off on this theory with everyones thoughts on how said encounter(s) with Ryo and Lan Di would actually go down.

My theory is they are showing the real Lan Di here and this isn't going to be the only instance of a fight between them.

Remember that regardless of any skill jump Ryo has in Shenmue 3, Lan Di is such a powerful master of Kung Fu that he was able to kill Iwao in just a few moves.
Lan Di has more experience, training and ability. I suspect and expect Ryo and Lan Di to have 2-3 fights over the course of Shenmue 3 and 4.
Ryo will get his ass handed to him the first time around. It will be no different to slightly better then any fight Ryo ever had with Master Lishao Tao.
Second time it's a near draw or something interrupts the fight. Such as a friend breaks it up somehow.
Third time around, someone "wins". And I have no idea what to expect there.

Second question,

Do you think Ryo will change his mind about revenge?

Last edited:
Ryo will get destroyed and only saved at the last moment before being killed himself. He'll train and perhaps in Shenmue 4 or 5 he'll finally be able to defeat Lan Di after an enormous struggle. But, he'll stop himself before he delivers the fatal blow and he'll finally understand what Master Chen and Xiuying have been trying to tell him, that revenge is not the right thing to do.

Ryo is a young upcoming martial artist. Who has a lot to learn. Lan di is a veteran skilled (almost perfect) martial artist. Lan di has almost no weakness except... His evil motives and the fact that he allows his emotions of revenge and anger get the better of him.

At first ryo will not be able to beat lan di whatsoever because ryo, not having as much experience also suffers from the thirst for revenge and anger which affect his potential to be the perfect transcendental martial artist.

Ryo will lose the first initial fights. But then with the help of his friends, teachers, masters, opponents, training and the companionship of shenhua (not to forget the general experience he gains whilst on his travels) he becomes an enlightened being whose heart, mind and soul is polished like a perfect mirror without any contradiction, his physical external self in-line with his spiritual internal self.

Once he's elevated from the physical philosophies of fighting to the moral and spiritual symbolisms of martial combat, only then will he be able to defeat lan di.

When he does eventually beat lan di... I want to see the story take an unexpected twist with the character of lan di. For me, it would be amazing to see lan di as a diverse conflicted charachter who is not just a simple cold blooded murderer.

All speculations aside, I just want to see whatever yu suzuki has planned.

Last edited:
Ryo will get destroyed in the first fight with Lan Di, but he will be saved by Ren or Xiuying (who will probably die saving him) or Shenhua.

I also don't expect any kind of "good" turn for Lan Di, he has a devilish tattoo on his arm and he's the leader of the Chi You men, and Chi You is a pretty evil entity in chinese mythology.

I really don't see a situation where Ryo meets Lan Di and simply gets his ass kicked, only to come back later and defeat him. That seems too cliche to me. I have a feeling things will be a lot more complex than that...

Maybe Lan Di learns that he's being played by Tentei, perhaps Tentei told Lan Di that Iwao killed his father just to eliminate Iwao for some reason and maybe Tentei was the one who killed Sunming. Maybe Lan Di turns on Tentei like Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.

Ryo will get his arse handed to him. At least the ten first times if I'm the player.

Jokes aside, I'd love to see Lan Di as a more complex figure than just evil incarnated. I'd also like Ryo to take to heart Xiuying and Master Chen's advice on the futility of revenge. I don't think Lan Di will turn, but if he did I'd enjoy them collaborating towards some greater good. It'd also be cool if Shenhua somehow stops Ryo in his tracks, about to kill. Have we yet seen anything specific on what Shenhua thinks of revenge as a concept? Looking forward to see what's in store for the two of them.

Ryo trains in Brazilian Jiujitsu under Rickson Gracie and wins by arm bar.

Other than that, I’m assuming there may be three fights between Ryo and Lan Di throughout the remaining chapters. I think Lan Di will have a minion fight Ryo first, Ryo beats him, but is tired from the fight and Lan Di acknowledges him. He witnessed his fight with Dou Niu, and he beat most of his men, Im sure Lan Di knows Ryo has potential and won’t take him lightly

We know the first part of Shenhua's prophecy has already come true, but surely the latter part,
"A dragon shall emerge from the Earth, and dark clouds shall obscure the heavens.
A phoenix shall descend from above. Its wings shall create a purple wind.
In the midst of the pitch-black night, a morning star shall glisten alone"
is speaking of this final fight between Ryo and LanDi.
And since the ending of S2 had that magical sword, it makes the possibility of other mystical powers (e.g., dragon, phoenix, purple wind, morning star) to be more literal than figurative.
Therefore, on the extreme end of the spectrum: maybe Ryo turns into the phoenix to fight LanDi as the dragon, they battle and they both die, then Shenhua is the star to heal Ryo and bring him back to life.
Notice in this newest S3 trailer that at the 59second mark, just as Shenhua says "morning star" she appears on screen. The part that worries me is the word "alone" which could mean a main character dies, forever.

First of all I hope things get concluded in Shenmue 3 because I don't even want to risk the chance of the game dropping off again. I want closure lol. I remember Yu mentioned something years ago in an interview without giving away too much info that Ryo will basically sort of cast aside the vengeance thing which leads me to believe that he will eventually defeat Lan Di but spare his life. I'm not sure about him getting beat by Lan Di first though, I think if Lan Di deafeted Ryo he'd just kill him not beat him up and leave.

Probably in the middle of a Toulou in SIII.
Tentei theory is quite realistic though.
For all we know Lan Di doesn't give a shit about Ryo, he could have killed him in SI and probably in SII if he wanted (though Ryo was with his friends), probably defeats him the first time and spares him trying to make the whole "I'm just like you" character turn.

Regardless of how the battle happens, it would have been cool if whether or not Ryo spares Lan Di depended on how the player had played the entire series to that point.
Which is to say,
Did Ryo look after the cat?
Was he conscientious towards Ine-San or did he keep coming home very late?
Did he speak frequently to Nozomi and co or did he cast aside his friends in pursuit of vengeance?
Did he speak to Shenhua and get to know her, or was he just impatient to get to the next part of his quest?
etc
There are a lot of moments in the games that would define Ryo's character and how obsessive he is, and all those moments are in the players control.
So as well as saying much about who Ryo is and whether or not he would spare Lan Di, it also sheds light onto the player.
Plus it would be nice if all the "side" stuff ended up meaning a lot more in the grand scheme.

Of course, with the lack of save transfer, we can absolutely be a 100% certain this will never happen.

Ryo will definitely be destroyed in the first fight and get saved by Xiuying

Why Xiuying? Just curious! Enjoy reading theories.
We saw how she was worried about Ryo in Shenmue II also when she saved his ass from the people ganging up on him without him knowing she’s the one that took all of them down. She’s in the shadows watching Ryo to be sure he’s safe.

I think the Guizhang will return but also probably die fighting LanDi at somepoint allowing Ryo and Shenhua to escape or something along those lines.

As he knows Joy - he must surely be able to find out where Ryo is and travel directly to Guilin.

I think Ryo is going to encounter and fight Lan Di early on in the game but Ryo will lose and spend the rest of or majority of the game training and possibly fighting other members of the Chi You Men along the way.

Back