How do you envision the Ryo vs. Lan Di encounter?

I think Ryo will encounter Lan Di along with Ren and Shenhua and will lose the fight. Lan Di is pursuing Shenhua but she will get away with Ren (on horseback like in the art) which will separate Ryo from the rest and Lan Di will keep him captive. This way Ryo will get to know Lan Di and the Chi You Men (such as Ziming and Niao Sun as well...maybe even Tentei will make an appearance?) Ren will come back for Ryo and free him and escape to another area where Shenhua is.

First of all I hope things get concluded in Shenmue 3 because I don't even want to risk the chance of the game dropping off again. I want closure lol.
Well...

http://cogconnected.com/2018/02/shenmue-3-developer-says-4th-game-planned/
Shenmue 3, a highly anticipated sequel to a game that came out almost 17 years ago, is not planned to be the final game in the series, according to series creator Yu Suzuki. “Yes, the end will be open for a sequel. It will not be possible to finish with this third episode,” said Suzuki in a recent interview with GamersFlag, a French gaming news website.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/shenmue-creator-wants-to-make-shenmue-4
In an AMA interview on Reddit, Suzuki has revealed that he'd be interested in completing the entire story, which would go beyond just Shenmue III. "There are a total of 11 chapters that make up the whole story," he said. "Over the past 14 years I originally planned for there to [be] four or five games to the series. If at all possible, I would still like to realize the full story of 11 chapters."

I expect it to be pretty much move-for-move the same as this fight

Here is my comedic choice

Here is my serious choice

Considering the game takes place during the prime of Benny Urquidez and Mike Tyson, I’d like to see Ryo fight games based on them

The thing with him fighting him now is the game has shown Ryo needs lots of training(can't even hit a homeless man) so will be no match for lan Di.

Who from what we've seen would be more than willing to kill him and could do it in one blow.

Its going to be ... Magical... literally, LanDi turns into a Dragon, Ryo dies and turns into a Pheonix, Purple wind , something
eadd4d8e81e03fd7a495f789efbbe3ea.jpg

... or perhaps they just resolve their differences and trade capsule toys

The whole thing between them is the same really. Lan Di killed Ryo's father, but Iwao (supposedly) killed Lan Di's father. It's all relative. Who's the white knight here? It's all for revenge.

Shenmue 1
He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will,
His courage shall determine his fate,
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity,
I await whilst praying,
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus the saga…
Begins…

Shenmue 2
From a distant land in the East, from across the sea,
he shall appear.
He does not know of the strength hidden within him.
The strength that would destroy him.
The strength that would fulfill his wishes.
When he is ready, he shall seek me out.
And we shall brave together the rocky path.
I shall wait...
This encounter has been my destiny since ancient times.
A Dragon shall emerge from the earth and dark clouds

shall obscure the heavens.
A Phoenix shall descend from above,
Its wings will create a purple wind.
In the midst of the pitch-black night

a morning star shall glisten... alone...

The established story is quite dull, Ryo's father tells him to keep his family and friends close, but Ryo ignores that, Ryo ignores a lot of advice given to him In Shenmue 1 + 2 by wiser and stronger people, Ryo is arrogant and his fight skills are sub-par and is no match for Lan Di or Nozomi
It could be that Lan Di is Ryos brother or mirror (both have face scars in the same place) and Ryo must learn to avoid going to the Dark side.. Unless Ryan Johnson writes Shenmue 3 and subverts all expectaion... Anyway with the appearance with the Sword at the end of Shenmue 2 and all the Shenmue Online Cinematics this introduces actual Magic.. and Lan Di will surely want to do something with that power, its not something Ryo can kick his way out of ( I wonder if he will learn some sword play?)

The 'final' battle should be between Shenhua and LanDi, but I think at this point we just want an ending to the story, no matter how bad it might be. In the context of an Anime Ryo's personality makes sence, you might have wished for Ryo to tell Nozomi he loves her but In Anime that happens in the last episode even if the love interest is a sexless robotic grouch

If Yu was smart he would add some cool unique gameplay mechanics that could allow Ryo to return in future games, or Ryuji Hazuki the son of Nozomi & Ryo set in 1993 Yokosuka ... Ugh Tbh I'd settle for a Shenmue WareHouse Simulator.. I love the Forklift Job... seeing those Forklifts in the intro of Shenmue 2 made me so excited .. and what happened ..

Yeah Shenmue 3 can be garbage but if theres a working forklift I will be happy

If Yu was smart he would add some cool unique gameplay mechanics that could allow Ryo to return in future games, or Ryuji Hazuki the son of Nozomi & Ryo set in 1993 Yokosuka .

If Sega wanted to really make some easy money. They could do Shenmue Chapter 12:Kamurocho. Takes place in 1995 right after the events of a certain protagonist going to jail. I'd play it.

The forklifts in the Intro of Shenmue II were like clickbait. The moving-crates and Lucky-Hit-Jobs were annoying to me. I don't think that Lan Di will meet Ryo so early in the game. I like the first Theory of Squadvall. When Ryo would meet Lan Di he would react not so relaxed like in the Trailer.

I get a feeling more and more they'll fight but they'll end up, teaming up or an uneasy alliance.

Although it would be painful to watch, I think Ryo's friends getting killed due to his own selfish actions would tell a good story.

Actions have consequences, and all that. It would be entirely Ryo's fault if/when certain characters die, and this would shape him into a more fearsome character, hell-bent on revenge.

Last edited:
Hahaha, sounds like straight out of a Clint Eastwood moive, Clint! :D

Although, a bunch of events in S2 suggest that Ryo will in fact develop into quite the opposite of a hell-bent on revenge character, such as the Taiji Scene in Guilin.

Story-wise I'd really like the idea of some of the people close to Ryo getting killed by the Chi You Men due to Ryo's foolishness. But as you said, that might be heartbreaking for us as player's who've grown into loving those characters so much.

Ryo trains in Brazilian Jiujitsu under Rickson Gracie and wins by arm bar.

Other than that, I’m assuming there may be three fights between Ryo and Lan Di throughout the remaining chapters. I think Lan Di will have a minion fight Ryo first, Ryo beats him, but is tired from the fight and Lan Di acknowledges him. He witnessed his fight with Dou Niu, and he beat most of his men, Im sure Lan Di knows Ryo has potential and won’t take him lightly

I agree and to further add to this, I think Lan Di's cruel streak is going to be reinforced in Shenmue 3. I can imagine Chai getting in Lan Di's way somehow and Lan Di killing him with a single blow. :LOL:

Firstly,

@SquallAdv had an interesting theory for the newest trailer.

I wanted to spin off on this theory with everyones thoughts on how said encounter(s) with Ryo and Lan Di would actually go down.

My theory is they are showing the real Lan Di here and this isn't going to be the only instance of a fight between them.

Remember that regardless of any skill jump Ryo has in Shenmue 3, Lan Di is such a powerful master of Kung Fu that he was able to kill Iwao in just a few moves.
Lan Di has more experience, training and ability. I suspect and expect Ryo and Lan Di to have 2-3 fights over the course of Shenmue 3 and 4.
Ryo will get his ass handed to him the first time around. It will be no different to slightly better then any fight Ryo ever had with Master Lishao Tao.
Second time it's a near draw or something interrupts the fight. Such as a friend breaks it up somehow.
Third time around, someone "wins". And I have no idea what to expect there.

Second question,

Do you think Ryo will change his mind about revenge?

I think all of this is correct. I'm thinking there will be some kind of imaginary sequence where Ryo is visualizing his adversary as a tool for learning.

Also, and I've thought about this since way back during Shenmue I, I have a feeling Ryo will end up giving up on killing Lan Di. Unless I'm mistaken, I recall Lan Di getting revenge on Iwao, and I can see Ryo coming to the realization that killing Lan Di would make them sort of one and the same, especially if Lan Di is revealed to have a loved one who would mourn his loss. The story is themed so much around the personal journey and growth/maturity of ones' self, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the outcome, or is hinted at, at the very least.

Back