How do you feel about the rewards distribution?

Benwahwah

Disciple of Hokuto
I am a major fan of the Shenmue games, I quite enjoyed Shenmue 3 regardless of its weak story, and would back Shenmue 4 to the best of my ability in the future. But I really do find the rewards distribution situation frustrating.

I have always been well aware that distribution of the rewards would come after the game was initially released, so wasn't surprised about the delays. However, when you think about it, the delays really are inexcusable. The initial release date for Shenmue 3 was 2017, which granted was never going to be met. Eventually the game was released 4 years after the Kickstarter was finished. Surely that was ample time for the rewards to be prepared? Also, why are the rewards being sent out in piece-meal fashion? The coronavirus has been used as a reason for manufacturing delays, but wasn't 4 years enough time for them to prepare everything anyhow? The final items are due to be shipped from July onwards which by my reckoning is a whole 5 years after the Kickstarter ended. (I may be a few months off, I'm going by memory.)

When I signed up for the Collectors Editions of the games, I was expecting to receive a nice big boxset, instead, items are being sent out one at a time. Overall in my opinion, this is far from satisfying. I'm interested to know if you guys think I'm over-reacting, or whether my frustration is valid.

Its not ideal and its not cost efficent from their perspective so I have no idea why they are doing it this way to be hones
But we will get everything eventually and they are making good on promise so all good 👍

While communication hasn't been great and they've sent things in an odd manner I really don't see what the fuss is about.

I've seen so many people kicking off about the rewards yet they dont read the updates that the whole thing has become tiresome.

While communication hasn't been great and they've sent things in an odd manner I really don't see what the fuss is about.

I've seen so many people kicking off about the rewards yet they dont read the updates that the whole thing has become tiresome.
I’d argue that communication has actually been fairly good. It’s the continued delays that people are getting annoyed with. It’s not like they haven’t had nearly 5 years to prepare these things.

I've read every email, I know when everything is due to come. That is the exact reason I am annoyed. With the amount of time that there has been between the end of the Kickstarter and the release of the game there realistically should have been ZERO delays. As I think about it I actually get more annoyed.

You really don't see what the fuss is about? How about the fact that YS Net / Fangamer knew what they were getting themselves into, and are now so far failing to deliver on their end of the deal. Yes the items themselves are relatively inconsequential, but that isn't the point. If any of us operated in a similar way at work constantly delaying what was promised we would be fired.

I've read every email, I know when everything is due to come. That is the exact reason I am annoyed. With the amount of time that there has been between the end of the Kickstarter and the release of the game there realistically should have been ZERO delays. As I think about it I actually get more annoyed.

You really don't see what the fuss is about? How about the fact that YS Net / Fangamer knew what they were getting themselves into, and are now so far failing to deliver on their end of the deal. Yes the items themselves are relatively inconsequential, but that isn't the point. If any of us operated in a similar way at work constantly delaying what was promised we would be fired.
This is the type of attitude that really grinds my gears

You backed a game and you're being rewarded for doing so. It's not a pre-order for said items, it's a reward

Yes it's annoying but why people are getting wound up over items that have no meaning/impact on the game or society is mental. And they're subject to change. Remember if the game wasnt made you would get Jack shit.

Also do you know the production timelines? Making a T-shirt is easy, I made loads when I was gigging but the rest meh we've no idea. It should have been dealt with sooner but as with many kickstarters the stuff is delayed.

This is why I'm not worried.

Have to agree on this one. Fangamer have handled this very poorly. Rewards could easily have been sent out before release. I can’t see any excuses for fans to still be waiting 4 months later.
I think it was ridiculous that many people got the game after it was released to the public the game should had been released only to the Backers a month before actual global release.

I am a major fan of the Shenmue games, I quite enjoyed Shenmue 3 regardless of its weak story, and would back Shenmue 4 to the best of my ability in the future. But I really do find the rewards distribution situation frustrating.

I have always been well aware that distribution of the rewards would come after the game was initially released, so wasn't surprised about the delays. However, when you think about it, the delays really are inexcusable. The initial release date for Shenmue 3 was 2017, which granted was never going to be met. Eventually the game was released 4 years after the Kickstarter was finished. Surely that was ample time for the rewards to be prepared? Also, why are the rewards being sent out in piece-meal fashion? The coronavirus has been used as a reason for manufacturing delays, but wasn't 4 years enough time for them to prepare everything anyhow? The final items are due to be shipped from July onwards which by my reckoning is a whole 5 years after the Kickstarter ended. (I may be a few months off, I'm going by memory.)

When I signed up for the Collectors Editions of the games, I was expecting to receive a nice big boxset, instead, items are being sent out one at a time. Overall in my opinion, this is far from satisfying. I'm interested to know if you guys think I'm over-reacting, or whether my frustration is valid.
Agree with you, not only they took way to much to send rewards, the rewards are "cheap" looking. I was expecting a poster instead got some plastic laminated picture, the design is not the same as in the kickstarter the white and black picture of Ryo that looked cool.
Next time there is, if there is a Kickstarter I don't plan to contribute, other than perhaps digital copy, instead going to buy the superior "Limited edition".

This is the reward we should had got, not a cheap sleeve.

When Initially donated I expected something similar to this as a reward. This what we fans deserve no less.View attachment 7571

A nice box like this with the book, CD and game included.
In their defense, they were very clear about what the rewards were going to be. By all means complain about those rewards not being with you already, but complaining that you didn’t get something that wasn’t promised seems a little entitled to me.

Surely you just answered your own question? Poor communication and the odd way they have sent things out. Odd is being kindly it's been very poorly sent out.

This is the type of attitude that really grinds my gears

You backed a game and you're being rewarded for doing so. It's not a pre-order for said items, it's a reward

Yes it's annoying but why people are getting wound up over items that have no meaning/impact on the game or society is mental. And they're subject to change. Remember if the game wasnt made you would get Jack shit.

Also do you know the production timelines? Making a T-shirt is easy, I made loads when I was gigging but the rest meh we've no idea. It should have been dealt with sooner but as with many kickstarters the stuff is delayed.

This is why I'm not worried.
Okay, you say they are rewards, but let’s be honest they really aren’t. People like to give the impression that this was a donation. But if that is the case why have the tiers? The tiers were for different items. That then becomes an order for the said items. I have been burned by a few Kickstarter projects and it sucks. I know that I have no recourse on this if the stuff never comes, but does that then mean I have to sit down and shut up if I’m not happy with how things are playing out? No.

Production timelines? They had 4-5 years! This isn’t something that was decided at the last minute, they made a commitment in the Kickstarter to provide these items. Why they aren’t provided yet is beyond me.

Like I’ve said before, I’m a fan of the series and will continue to support it as much as I can, but let’s be honest this rewards stuff became farcical a few months ago.

Okay, you say they are rewards, but let’s be honest they really aren’t. People like to give the impression that this was a donation. But if that is the case why have the tiers? The tiers were for different items. That then becomes an order for the said items. I have been burned by a few Kickstarter projects and it sucks. I know that I have no recourse on this if the stuff never comes, but does that then mean I have to sit down and shut up if I’m not happy with how things are playing out? No.

Production timelines? They had 4-5 years! This isn’t something that was decided at the last minute, they made a commitment in the Kickstarter to provide these items. Why they aren’t provided yet is beyond me.

Like I’ve said before, I’m a fan of the series and will continue to support it as much as I can, but let’s be honest this rewards stuff became farcical a few months ago.
It's not an order. It's a donation where you're given something back for doing so.

It sucks, but I only backed Shenmue 3 so I could play Shenmue 3. I was never very interested in the rewards. I am a principally digital-only gamer because I personally hate clutter.

Is this a joke? This is really stretching for things to complain about :rolleyes:

It sucks, but I only backed Shenmue 3 so I could play Shenmue 3. I was never very interested in the rewards.
In general I’m of the same opinion. I guess it was the fact that the corona virus has been thrown in as a reason for delays that got my goat.

I knew we would receive our stuff a bit after the release date of the game. But I expected to receive it maybe around December/January. Like I’ve said previously, they had 4 years to make this stuff, the only real delays I expected were going to be due to delivery, but hearing that things have been delayed due to the coronavirus means they hadn’t even started production on stuff until this year!

I'll also add that, to me, the $200 I pledged was a donation for development...I didn't even realize I was getting a copy of the game at first. So, again I'm not personally bothered too much - Shenmue 3 almost feels like a distant memory already. But, this should have been handled better. In Yu's defense, we basically handed him 7mil and everything had to be built out from there - not like there was already a team and infrastructure in place to process 70,000 pledges.

Back