How much money does Tencent earn for Shenmue III sells?

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Shenmue III is using Unreal Engine, this engine is owned by Epic Games, nearly 50% of Epic Games is owned by Tencent, Tencent is the biggest propaganda company the chinese Techno-Autocratic regime has, so if you buy Shenmue III you support dictatorship and violation of human rights.

I realized that _after_ I bought my copy of Shenmue III...
If I knew that before I had avoid buying Shenmue III.

Anyone has a clue how to find out how much money this disgusting company make with Unreal Engine license fees?

If you make over a million, 5% of your game's quartlerly sales go to Epic.

If you sell through the Epic Games Store, they take about 12-15% (there's a discount for UE games. It's much less than what Valve takes on Steam).

Good luck sticking with this, as some of the biggest and most popular games in the industry use UE4, and will use UE5 in the future...that's a lot of games you won't be playing.

Good luck sticking with this, as some of the biggest and most popular games in the industry use UE4, and will use UE5 in the future...that's a lot of games you won't be playing.
Do you know what's more important then having fun playing videogames?
Freedom and the life of human beings!

I'm curious, BSWeb. Do you buy or consume products from any major brands?

Do you use any products or services with even minor associations to companies such as Abercrombie & Fitch, Acer, Adidas, Alstom, Amazon, Apple, ASUS, BAIC Motor, Bestway, BMW, Bombardier, Bosch, BYD, Calvin Klein, Candy, Carter’s, Cerruti 1881, Changan Automobile, Cisco, CRRC, Dell, Electrolux, Fila, Founder Group, GAC Group (automobiles), Gap, Geely Auto, General Motors, Google, Goertek, H&M, Haier, Hart Schaffner Marx, Hisense, Hitachi, HP, HTC, Huawei, iFlyTek, Jack & Jones, Jaguar, Japan Display Inc., L.L.Bean, Lacoste, Land Rover, Lenovo, LG, Li-Ning, Mayor, Meizu, Mercedes-Benz, MG, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Mitsumi, Nike, Nintendo, Nokia, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Polo Ralph Lauren, Puma, SAIC Motor, Samsung, SGMW, Sharp, Siemens, Skechers, Sony, TDK, Tommy Hilfiger, Toshiba, Tsinghua Tongfang, Uniqlo, Victoria’s Secret, Vivo, Volkswagen, Xiaomi, Zara, Zegna, ZTE, amongst others?

If so, you're contributing to the problem: https://www.aspi.org.au/report/uyghurs-sale.

I agree that the violation of human rights in China and other countries is a terrible affair. But if you actually cared, I suspect you wouldn't be cherry picking something so small as the engine in which Shenmue III uses to be outraged over.

If you're looking for drama and outrage. Look elsewhere
Stop that fanboy posting!
Human rights are not "drama and outrage"!
If you don't care about your responsibility it's your thing, but leave others alone with that.
I'm curious, BSWeb. Do you buy or consume products from any major brands?

Do you use any products or services with even minor associations to companies such as Abercrombie & Fitch, Acer, Adidas, Alstom, Amazon, Apple, ASUS, BAIC Motor, Bestway, BMW, Bombardier, Bosch, BYD, Calvin Klein, Candy, Carter’s, Cerruti 1881, Changan Automobile, Cisco, CRRC, Dell, Electrolux, Fila, Founder Group, GAC Group (automobiles), Gap, Geely Auto, General Motors, Google, Goertek, H&M, Haier, Hart Schaffner Marx, Hisense, Hitachi, HP, HTC, Huawei, iFlyTek, Jack & Jones, Jaguar, Japan Display Inc., L.L.Bean, Lacoste, Land Rover, Lenovo, LG, Li-Ning, Mayor, Meizu, Mercedes-Benz, MG, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Mitsumi, Nike, Nintendo, Nokia, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Polo Ralph Lauren, Puma, SAIC Motor, Samsung, SGMW, Sharp, Siemens, Skechers, Sony, TDK, Tommy Hilfiger, Toshiba, Tsinghua Tongfang, Uniqlo, Victoria’s Secret, Vivo, Volkswagen, Xiaomi, Zara, Zegna, ZTE, amongst others?
I boycott all the companies you listed, but my list is much bigger.
Also I always try to support local companies or when I have no other choice I buy stuff second hand.

Last edited:
I boycott all the companies you listed, but my list is much bigger.
In that case, you really shouldn't be buying any games at all given that most of them utilise DirectX which is a Microsoft owned API; a company you are supposedly boycotting.

Even if you use open source implementations such as DXVK, the purchase of a title that uses said technology contributes directly to it's growth.

This may sound like splitting hairs, but I don't really see how it's any different to the point you made in the OP.

In that case, you really shouldn't be buying any games at all given that most of them utilise DirectX which is a Microsoft owned API; a company you are supposedly boycotting.

Even if you use open source implementations such as DXVK, the purchase of a title that uses said technology contributes directly to it's growth.

This may sound like splitting hairs, but I don't really see how it's any different to the point you made in the OP.
Nope.
As I said if I have no choice I buy second hand.
And.. there are many games that run natively under GNU/Linux, you know... especially at gog.com

Nope.
As I said if I have no choice I buy second hand.
And.. there are many games that run natively under GNU/Linux, you know... especially at gog.com

You do have a choice though. You could just not buy games that utilise DirectX at all.

And I'm not denying that there are games that run natively under GNU/Linux. But even without DRM, unless the game is FOSS it's difficult to say what companies all of the libraries and APIs used have links to, so you better stay away from those too. Y'know, just to be sure.

You do have a choice though. You could just not buy games that utilise DirectX at all.

And I'm not denying that there are games that run natively under GNU/Linux. But even without DRM, unless the game is FOSS it's difficult to say what companies all of the libraries and APIs used have links to, so you better stay away from those too. Y'know, just to be sure.
Nice trolling.
But I see I attack the fanboys hearts and the will break if I punch to hard.
You see I've waited for Shenmue 3 as long as possible and I instant bought it at gog.
If people here are so childish that they can't take any critics, then this is pathetic.

My technic is called "The Iron Palm of youhaveafuckingresponsibiltyforeveryoneoutthereoryouareanasshole"

Terrible people have their hands everywhere, OP. You're bound to contribute to their coffers just by being a member of society.

The solution is to be a hermit and live in the mountains.

Terrible people have their hands everywhere, OP. You're bound to contribute to their coffers just by being a member of society.

The solution is to be a hermit and live in the mountains.
Better get to catching those chickens in the mountains of Guilin.

To be clear, nowhere in this thread am I or any other member of the team trying to downplay the efforts that we as a collective should be making to fight human rights violations in the general gaming space.

If you actually want to try and make a difference, there's a great thread on Era with actions that you can take right now to try and make your voice heard instead of cherry picking issues and complaining on forums.

Let me paraphrase Era member Salient_Lion repost some of them here:

Petition Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to stop the utilisation of slave labour in the manufacturing process of their consoles:
Sign the petition at https://www.change.org/p/stop-uighur-slave-labour-in-playstation-xbox-and-switch-manufacturing and contact them directly via these links (email links with template text)
- Sony
- Microsoft

Write to local politicians about your concerns:
You can find information on who/where to write to at the following links
https://www.writetothem.com/ (UK)
https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials/ (US)

If you want more resources, I really recommend checking out the full thread on ResetEra: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ou...nd-genocide-heres-what-to-do-about-it.386693/

Nice trolling.
But I see I attack the fanboys hearts and the will break if I punch to hard.
You see I've waited for Shenmue 3 as long as possible and I instant bought it at gog.
If people here are so childish that they can't take any critics, then this is pathetic.

My technic is called "The Iron Palm of youhaveafuckingresponsibiltyforeveryoneoutthereoryouareanasshole"
If it makes you feel any better, our best sales estimates seem to suggest that Shenmue 3 did not sell enough copies to cover the fee that Epic paid for PC exclusivity. With that in mind, it’s highly likely that Shenmue 3 actually took money out of the pockets of Tencent and the Chinese oppressors.

TLDR: Shenmue 3 is leading the fight against human rights abusers. All hail Shenmue.

Back