How old are you?

16, looks like I'm the more younger one around here :p
I discovered Shenmue only like about a year ago when Vinesauce Joel streamed it, I ended up really liking it, so I played the second one myself with a DC emulator, had such a blast!
Damn, that's certainly a record at this point in time. Nice.

16, looks like I'm the more younger one around here :p
I discovered Shenmue only like about a year ago when Vinesauce Joel streamed it, I ended up really liking it, so I played the second one myself with a DC emulator, had such a blast!
Yeah that's a record. Very happy to have you aboard. And im glad there's decent streamers spreading the Shenmue love instead of trashing the games and being negative.

(I can't believe I am only now seeing this... I'm such a tool)
I found out what Shenmue was when I was reading about upcoming PS4 games earlier in the year (read an article about Shenmue 3). I did some research into the previous games and assumed I would never be able to play them because I didn't have a Dreamcast... but days later they announced the 1+2 remaster! ...it was fate!!! Lol

(I can't believe I am only now seeing this... I'm such a tool)
I found out what Shenmue was when I was reading about upcoming PS4 games earlier in the year (read an article about Shenmue 3). I did some research into the previous games and assumed I would never be able to play them because I didn't have a Dreamcast... but days later they announced the 1+2 remaster! ...it was fate!!! Lol
Oops this was supposed to be a reply to someone and I can't figure out how to delete it. Sorry!

29. 30 in March, and fully intend on not remembering the two weeks prior or after.

Also, bollocks to having kids @Peter, I can only manage bein in the same room as my nephews for five minutes before I wanna down a glass/cyanide cocktail.

Well, my memory’s pretty sketchy atm. Mission accomplished!

Turned 35 today. I'm old!

Born in the highlands of New Hampshire 400 years ago, he is not alone. There are others like him; some conservative, some liberal. For centuries he has moderated the forces of darkness, with Shenmue forums his only refuge....

Infinity. I believe in reincarnation. Lucked out with a Shenmue III timeline this time.

It seems like alot of the members here are 30-35.
I wonder if the game is so addicted to us since we got a game at a very young age wich was so supreme to what others where playing! And with the years we still got back to play it again, just to get a new perspective to the story...

If i where 20+ at the time the first time i played it, then im not to sure if i would have played it again since it wouldnt have been a game wich i had accosiated with my youth.

It seems like alot of the members here are 30-35.
I wonder if the game is so addicted to us since we got a game at a very young age wich was so supreme to what others where playing! And with the years we still got back to play it again, just to get a new perspective to the story...

If i where 20+ at the time the first time i played it, then im not to sure if i would have played it again since it wouldnt have been a game wich i had accosiated with my youth.

I think that in part, Shenmue was lucky to come out during a time when people our age actually had time to fully invest in things to the degree that there are now so many of us who are dedicated to the game. This was before the internet had reached the power and reach that it has now, there were generally just fewer things that were fighting for your attention. Sometimes I take a look at myself in relation to how invested I could get into things compared to how invested I get now, and there's definitely a case of "Has the world changed, or have I changed?"

So probably like most things, Shenmue came along at the right time. No sooner, or later than it was needed. In truth, had the game been released nowadays I am not entirely sure I would have ended up completing it because I feel like the world is designed so much now as "I like this thing until the next thing comes out in a week's time." But again, this could just be a personal issue that I have rather than a problem at large with the rest of the world or whatever. Sometimes things just find us at the right moment with no rhyme or reason, and you wouldn't think that something relatively innocuous could have such an impact so many years later.

I find myself getting caught up in what-if situations so much as I get older, it can be a bit maddening. What if I never met this person? How would my life be if I did this instead of that? So much of what we love and are influenced by seems to be down to the pure coincidence of timing. Which, I'd love to think more about but I prefer to have my moments of existential dread after lunch instead of before.

Simple thread. Has always been around. I am not doing this to enable age-shaming in either direction. I am really curious! I know I was always one of the "older" people on the Dojo - while most of you were 14 - 17 when they got into Shenmue I was already 20... which now sounds very very silly! Is there a new generation around? A new generation of teenagers who are just discovering Shenmue? How awesome would that be!! (y)

By the way, I am 35 and you don't need to post your exact age. A rough age bracket would be nice, though.
Love this topic. Can't go wrong asking, as I was 13/14 when I first came upon this wonderful game.

I've spent half my life as a Shenmue fan. We've come a long way. I'm 30. Feels like just yesterday I was signing up at the Dojo as a newbie to the forum world, lol.

I'm looking forward to meeting new day fans.This fan base will not fade anytime soon...

Shenmue came out right when it was supposed to. You're absolutely right Jetmcfancy. Not sooner, nor later. I know I needed to learn from it at the time.

I still can learn from Shenmue 3. Patience.

Back