I Always Preferred Japanese Voice with English Subtitles - Same for 3!

I didn’t mean to mock or disrespect anyone who enjoys the English dub. I have no issue with that. I just think people should be realistic about what the English dub means. It’s pretty much fan service and they’re struggling to put the game together as it is. It’s just a poor allocation of resources imo.

In my haste to start the game, I accidently started it without selecting Japanese voices and English subtitles. I've played mostly with Japanese voices (Japanese 1, European 2), but I had also played the English dubs (1, 2 on Xbox).

I can say that Shenmue 3 seemed to be the worse dub of all. Once I changed it to Japanese, all of my issues (with weird dialog) went away.

IMHO, although I had no intentions on experiencing the English dub until my second play through, I highly recommend everyone turn on Japanese audio as I found the English to be unusable.

I firmly believe some review scores would be higher if they were forced to play it with English subtitles.

The elitist vibe here is maddening. It’s not a joke to play it in English. You underestimate how many people enjoy it. I found it grueling in Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast reading subtitles every second and it put me off talking to people. You have no right to ask for the dub to be removed just because you don’t personally like it. Your all entitled to enjoy it in Japanese but the condescending, smug belittling tone adopted to those who love the English dub makes my stomach turn. Pull your heads out of your asses and realize not everyone likes what you like you bunch of elitist snobs.

I guess the Yakuza series is elitist, then, since with a couple of exceptions the games have only been offered with a Japanese dub. It’s because it’s too expensive to include multiple language tracks. It’s nice Ys Net is looking out for all fans, but they clearly made many sacrifices to make this game. It’s not really relevant since the game has an English dub whether we like it or not, but I hope they didn’t cut other features because of it. You bet I’d take a Japanese only dub if it meant better music implementation, new music, or throws in combat... I don’t think that’s because I’m elitist but because I want the best Shenmue Ys Net can make.

Last edited:
I guess the Yakuza series is elitist, then, since with a couple of exceptions the games have only been offered with a Japanese dub. It’s because it’s too expensive to include multiple language tracks. It’s nice Ys Net is looking out for all fans, but they clearly made many sacrifices to make this game. It’s not really relevant since the game has a terrible English dub whether we like it or not, but I hope they didn’t cut other features because of it. You bet I’d take a Japanese only dub if it meant better music implementation, new music, or throws in combat...
That doesn’t make sense. Yakuza never had a dub to compare so fans aren’t missing anything. Shenmue 1 & 2 had a dub and it is an essential part of the experience for many fans no matter how much you look down your nose at it. I’ve spent nearly 20 years listening to Corey as Ryo during my many playthroughs throughout the years. He is Ryo Hazuki for me. Not for you obviously but that’s the beauty of diversity and differing opinions. We all have our cake and eat it thankfully for Shenmue 3. Please don’t try and force its removal; it shows lack of respect for the countless fans who love it like I do.

That doesn’t make sense. Yakuza never had a dub to compare so fans aren’t missing anything. Shenmue 1 & 2 had a dub and it is an essential part of the experience for many fans no matter how much you look down your nose at it. I’ve spent nearly 20 years listening to Corey as Ryo during my many playthroughs throughout the years. He is Ryo Hazuki for me. Not for you obviously but that’s the beauty of diversity and differing opinions. We all have our cake and eat it thankfully for Shenmue 3. Please don’t try and force its removal; it shows lack of respect for the countless fans who love it like I do.
Yakuza 1 on ps2 was a dub, the only entry in the series to have one, Sega cut it from future release due to budget and it was the only way we would get future release at the time.

Also your "live and let live" statement would go over better if you weren't coming in to a pro-Japanese VO thread to push the English VO.
oh no, sorry I interrupted your circlejerk with my opinion.

Last edited:
oh no, sorry I interrupted your circlejerk with my opinion. Please, get back to jerking each other off over how much you love the Japanese va.
Lol, nice strawman, god forbid anyone point out that you're here to start a fight not a conversation as is clear by your attitude.

The elitist vibe here is maddening. It’s not a joke to play it in English. You underestimate how many people enjoy it. I found it grueling in Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast reading subtitles every second and it put me off talking to people. You have no right to ask for the dub to be removed just because you don’t personally like it. Your all entitled to enjoy it in Japanese but the condescending, smug belittling tone adopted to those who love the English dub makes my stomach turn. Pull your heads out of your asses and realize not everyone likes what you like you bunch of elitist snobs.
It's not elitist to point out that the English dub is bad, it's just the truth. It's not elitist to say the dub fundamentally changes the characters and makes them worse, it's just a fact. Stop taking everything so personally and actually read what I said instead of just translating it all in your head to be nothing more than "people who like the dub are stupid" because that isn't what anyone said.

We all have our cake and eat it thankfully for Shenmue 3.
But this is directly wrong. Thanks to the English dub there are no proper subtitles for the Japanese voice overs so there are many instances of the subtitles being changed to fit the dub. So, no, the people who are fans of the pure Japanese experience of Shenmue don't get to have their cake, only dub fans get their cake, and it cost the game considerably for them to do so both in it's budget and it's reviews.

Last edited:
It's not elitist to point out that the English dub is bad, it's just the truth
Yeah that's called an opinion my dude, and sorry you seem to think nobody but the "Japanese purists" are allowed to have one lmao.

Yeah that's called an opinion my dude, and sorry you seem to think nobody but the "Japanese purists" are allowed to have one lmao.
It's really not an opinion. No one would call Shenmue I, II, or III's dub good. You pretending like you think it's good would have more weight if you didn't call it "awkward" in your first post. Shenmue I, II, and now III's dubs have all been universally panned, fact. Meanwhile the original Japanese voice overs are universally praised. Gee it's almost like a cinematic game about revenge wasn't supposed to have a terrible dub that makes every line awkward and it was only a side effect of the era in which it was made.

Last edited:
But this is directly wrong. Thanks to the English dub there are no proper subtitles for the Japanese voice overs so there are many instances of the subtitles being changed to fit the dub. So, no, the people who are fans of the pure Japanese experience of Shenmue don't get to have their cake, only dub fans get their cake, and it cost the game considerably for them to do so both in it's budget and it's reviews.
My god you are the bottom of the barrel of Shenmue fans. You are stating opinions as objective facts and treating anyone with a contrary opinion like their morons. I hope you are not such a pain in the ass in real life.

Last edited:
My god you are the bottom of the barrel of Shenmue fans. You are stating opinions as objective facts and treating anyone with a contrary opinion like their morons. I hope you are not such a pain the ass in real life.
Listen to you throwing around insults. I sure didn't throw around any insults in my comments like telling people they have "their heads up their asses" or that they're "the bottom of the barrel of shenmue fans". Like you're the one being a jerk here. I'm just stating legitimate facts about Shenmue and you can't handle them so you're freaking out. Like I said in the post you should have replied to (and actually read): Stop taking everything so personally and actually read what I said instead of just translating it all in your head to be nothing more than "people who like the dub are stupid" because that isn't what anyone said.

The dub is bad. Deal with it. The ORIGINAL voice overs are better and convey what the creator was trying to convey. Deal with it.

By the way, it's "like they're morons". Just so you know. ;)

Last edited:
I always preferred Shenmue 1 in English and Shenmue 2 in Japanese. I started my first playthrough of 3 in English and I like the English voices much better then 2 I could never get used to the 2nd game English dubbed. But I'm not having any issues with the 3rd game this time around. Once I complete Shenmue 3 I'm going to try NG+ in Japanese to see the differences.

I have no problem with them including an English dub. I don't even have an issue with how "wooden" the lines are delivered in the dub. I do have a problem with the translation for the dub in Shenmue III, it's terrible. It changes the meaning of the scenes. Far worse than Shenmue I and Shenmue II's dubs. If you are a fan of the dub, I would personally be angry at how badly it was done for Shenmue III. That's why I will constantly advocate everyone to play through with the subtitles. It's simply the best choice in this version, and that is whether you prefer dubbing over subtitles or not.

I have no problem with them including an English dub. I don't even have an issue with how "wooden" the lines are delivered in the dub. I do have a problem with the translation for the dub in Shenmue III, it's terrible. It changes the meaning of the scenes. Far worse than Shenmue I and Shenmue II's dubs. If you are a fan of the dub, I would personally be angry at how badly it was done for Shenmue III. That's why I will constantly advocate everyone to play through with the subtitles. It's simply the best choice in this version, and that is whether you prefer dubbing over subtitles or not.
But aren't the english subtitles a transcript of the english dub ?

In my opinion, Corey is too old to be Ryo... They should had got a different younger person to do Ryo.
In my honest opinion, there would be no difference to me if he was changed, I think would been better.
After playing with Ryo in Japanese you start to see that Ryo sounds weird in English.
Like Ryo is too robotic while in Japanese he has more personality.

I think it's not about age. Masaya Matsukaze must be the same age, or even older than Corey Marshall. It's more about skills and experience. No disrespect towards him but check Corey's career resume. He has not been involved in many VA jobs actually... Then check Masaya's resume : he is working in many anime and video game dubs. It is his full-time job.
Corey Marshall is back only for the sake of nostalgy and fan-service (especially for English-speaking countries)...

My only issue with the Japanese dub isn’t even the dub, it’s reading the subtitles that are actually not a translation but a caption of the English dub. I know it isn’t realistic to expect a different sub track but it’s still kinda annoying when the Japanese VO and the subtitle are very different.
This is 100% a problem. The translation has really bad mistakes at certain points. They translated はい (hai - yes) as “hello” at one point. I don’t even understand how that happened. There’s so many instances where the responses Ryo has make no sense in English but the Japanese ones are fine. There is another one that stood out when Ryo wants to stop chopping wood. I don’t remember the exact phrasing in English, but it was so disjointed compared to what the shopkeeper said. In Japanese, Ryo says やめておきます (yamete okimasu - I’ll quit/I’m gonna quit/etc) and it was translated completely differently.

I love the game, but it’s really rough if you are relying on the subtitles. I understand the appeal of the corny dub, but I can’t support bad translation. You can have the cheesy English acting with a script that actually makes sense.

This is 100% a problem. The translation has really bad mistakes at certain points. They translated はい (hai - yes) as “hello” at one point. I don’t even understand how that happened. There’s so many instances where the responses Ryo has make no sense in English but the Japanese ones are fine. There is another one that stood out when Ryo wants to stop chopping wood. I don’t remember the exact phrasing in English, but it was so disjointed compared to what the shopkeeper said. In Japanese, Ryo says やめておきます (yamete okimasu - I’ll quit/I’m gonna quit/etc) and it was translated completely differently.

I love the game, but it’s really rough if you are relying on the subtitles. I understand the appeal of the corny dub, but I can’t support bad translation. You can have the cheesy English acting with a script that actually makes sense.
........... I hope they didn't use the English sub to make the other languages translations.

Back