I just can't shake this feeling S3 will be influential...

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Like in one way or another...pave or proof of concept in the game industry that something Major Publishers/AAA-Dev have written off since they're not willing to risk or not enuf confidence to try.since the industry has stagnated ever since the visionaries are force to take a backseat & the suits have taken over. Guys...Ur Thoughts? :coffee::unsure:

Like in one way or another...pave or proof of concept in the game industry that something Major Publishers/AAA-Dev have written off since they're not willing to risk or not enuf confidence to try.since the industry has stagnated ever since the visionaries are force to take a backseat & the suits have taken over. Guys...Ur Thoughts? :coffee::unsure:
I think in some respects it will break ground but not in the way the originals did.
Shenmue 3 will take us to a world full of imagination and immersion. It will show us that depth is better than the repetitive size of other worlds.

It will show creative how industry can be

Got to agree with @spud1897 , if it's going to be groundbreaking, which I'm not expecting in any other way than what truly matters; continuing the story!, it'll be quality over quantity, patience over quick satisfaction (most of the time, who hasn't felt the rush of just one more in the You Arcade or in front of Abe's shop?).

I agree. Side effect of being a Yu Suzuki game.

I think the Shenmue FREE gameplay design is still innovative because nothing else has copied it yet. Sure, there are open-world games with weather effects, but few where the NPCs react to it, and none where the NPCs simulate consistent daily lives on the scale of Shenmue, and none that combine a hand-to-hand fighting engine with adventure with RPG elements. That being said, gaming media didn't really get Shenmue in 1999, and it won't in 2019 either. Anything outside of the genre molds will confuse journalists who are rarely enthusiasts, rarely have historical perspective, and who are trained to make cookie-cutter comparisons. Maybe indie gaming news will have something important to say about Shenmue 3, and within that group there will be some influence, but indie gamers probably won't have the hardware to run the game, so that will limit its influence even more.

In my opinion, if the music is as incredible and memorable as the first games, and the story really surprises us, these factors could make Shenmue 3 a big moment in gaming history. It won't get the 'star' treatment this time from Sega. It's not featured on a hyped new console. So, it won't be as magical for the same reasons as it was 20 years ago, but I think a larger number of gamers are more sophisticated today, and if the story impresses, word of mouth could result in Shenmue 3 being as cult as the originals. I'll have to wait and see. We also don't know what newer, younger team members are contributing to this project. Shenmue 3 could have an entirely different feel than what we are used to and expect.

What I'm looking for in Shenmue III might be a bit different. My expectations out of Shenmue III is for the game to teach me certain lessons that I can apply to my real life. I and II were the only games I've ever played that did such a thing. I'm fairly confident that Shenmue III will likely not just exceed my expectations, but probably surpass them. What I'm looking for is for the game to connect me to it's environment like it did 20 years ago. From what I've seen so far, it looks like Shenmue to me so I'm happy about that.

Also too, I'm very curious to know what Yu Suzuki was talking about when he said that "The part that means the most to me in the Shenmue story happens in the third game". Also I hope he sheds more light into what he means when he says that "Shenhua represents his life work".

Though it would be lovely for S3 to be as special as the first two, I have to admit that I am personally at an age now where I take great comfort in knowing that I just want a continuation of this story more than anything else. For the longest time, I just plain accepted that Shenmue 3 was never going to happen. To the point where it had kind of became a joke in my head along with a new Tool album as things that were probably not going to be happening any time soon. So when the announcement finally did come, I have to admit that the game kind of his a free pass of goodwill from me unless it just is irredeemably terrible. Otherwise, I feel like I'm probably just going to take satisfaction in seeing where the story goes from where it left off.

Especially in a time where hyperbole seems to have a stranglehold on all forms of entertainment. For my liking, there's always far too much noise surrounding whether something is revolutionary or groundbreaking. When everything gets billed as the next best thing and FOMO pressures you into buying the next thing before you finished the last because actually, this is the new greatest game to ever exist. I think, for my money, there is some joy to be had in just wanting something old and familiar done well. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking because Shenmue already was.

Basically, as far as I'm concerned this game even existing in any form feels like some kind of impossible miracle. That is enough of a victory for me.

It will probably be swimming against mainstream tendencies. But I don't think it'll be influential (or revolutionary).
Most of the achievements of the originals have been already left behind, but what made them so good was the mix between elements and atmosphere.
Hell, we are just seeing gradual improvements on already working formulas.
I hope the Shenmue magic is still there, I don't really care about being revolutionary.

Especially in a time where hyperbole seems to have a stranglehold on all forms of entertainment. For my liking, there's always far too much noise surrounding whether something is revolutionary or groundbreaking. When everything gets billed as the next best thing and FOMO pressures you into buying the next thing before you finished the last because actually, this is the new greatest game to ever exist. I think, for my money, there is some joy to be had in just wanting something old and familiar done well.

I agree. Also, as I get older, I'm not only skeptical of "revolutionariness", I don't even like it anymore. I much more appreciate traditional art done well. If the industry just keeps moving on in search of originality after doing one cool thing, nothing good ever gets developed as it should. So, if Shenmue 3 is a carbon copy of the originals done well, I'll be very happy indeed. If it's 100% vintage Shenmue done better than the originals, I'll be overjoyed about it.

Influential how exactly? “I have a feeling that it’ll show suits how it’s done” is a pretty vague thing to say, and I’m not sure which visionaries you’re referring to.

I agree with Jetmcfancy in that I don't personally require Shenmue III to be influential or revolutionary. But since we're just wondering whether it will be or not, I'm curious to see what the creator of Virtua Fighter comes up with in his new "realistic but accessible" combat system. It's the least important aspect of Shenmue for me, but it will be interesting nonetheless to find out what he's had in mind and whether it finds traction in the industry going forward.

I'm still confident that Suzuki will make something original and maybe, revolutionary. Maybe not at a graphical standpoint but gameplay wise.

Sometimes you don't need a lot of money to do something revolutionary but to be creative, and that is something Suzuki IS.
We have a lot of examples with those indy games. Money helps but it's not everything. Suzuki can do more with less.

I don't think it will be groundbreaking or influential like the first games, but I don't want it to be either. I just want the series to continue with the same feel and tone as the originals.

It could be influental indeed. Even 1 and 2 are still influental. They Show how the open world concept should be done right. I am not saying this out of Nostalgia. I missed Shenmue back then and just played it about 1 year ago for the first time. Have played many modern Open World Games before Shenmue and I never liked the Genre. In most modern open world games, you are just a random dude or gal in a big but empty world. No Immersion. Shenmue on the other Hand gives you the Feeling that you are part of the Word. It is amazing.

If Shenmue 3 can create this Feeling again it can be make quite a Impact as well. Maybe not as big as the first 2 games did but still..

I came to the realization that even if S3 sucks, closure will be immensely satisfying.

I'm ignoring the fact that we're probably due for another cliffhanger ending.
That had been confirmed :)
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/01/shenmue-3-will-have-an-open-ending-to-allow-for-a-sequel
The real question to me is, if the hypothetical 4th game will close the saga or not.

Back on topic, what I'm expecting from S3 is the highest level of attention to details in all game compartments. Quality over quantity.
I'm not expecting it to innovate or being particularly influential on future production, but I'd be more than glad to be surprised. :love:

The gaming landscape is completely different now than it was in 2001. I think the idea that Shenmue III will be influential on modern game development is a little absurd. If anything I expect Shenmue III to take influence from the many open-world titles that have come out since then.

Back