I think shenmue 4 will tell the story of baisha and xi an city.

I never forgot Baisha since it's been a Backer goal.
But I'm guessing it was replaced with "Fortified Castle" and it'll be scraped aside like the Boat chapter.

What led you to believe the story will go to Xi An city?

It's all but confirmed that Ryo will eventually head to Meng Cun because that's where his father supposedly killed Sunming and is also the birthplace of Bajiquan, which received a lot of focus in 3.

Wait, where was this scene on the Great Wall in the final game?

I'm wondering if this "Battle DLC" is an epilogue where Mr Muscles returns. Maybe in that, we'll know where Ryo, Ren and Shenhua are headed to next.

Wait, where was this scene on the Great Wall in the final game?

I'm wondering if this "Battle DLC" is an epilogue where Mr Muscles returns. Maybe in that, we'll know where Ryo, Ren and Shenhua are headed to next.

Its very possible that Yu used some of the early KS investment money to develop some assets to Shenmue IV. Much like a lot of the 47 million clearly went into the second Shenmue instead of the first.

For me, Shenmue IV will be something like this:

Magnificent-Hengshan-Mountain-01.jpg

Based on:

MFheMi3.png

I believe its Luoyang. I think @LanDC posted something about the remaining chapter locations on Facebook if I'm not mistaken.

I think the locations present in Shenmue 4 are going to be dependant on what Yu-san ultimately decides to do with the overarching story. Certainly his intention at the outset of developing 3 was that he wouldn't compromising his story to fit it all into one game. If there have been no alterations to the planned story and we are only 40% through, Yu-san may very well stick to his plan and hope he can make another 2-3 games. However, if he has already made the concession and decided to trim the story down in 3 so he can finish everything in 4, we'll be looking at a very different game in terms of locations. At this point in time, until we get an interview with Yu-san where he answers that question, it is probably too early to tell where we might visit.

Apparently, the remaining locations are:

Chapter 7: Luoyang
Chapter 8: Mengcun
Chapter 9: Xi'an
Chapter 10: Beijing - The Forbidden City
Chapter 11: Xinjiang

But as @Niaxi says, some of these might get reworked/cut depending on how many more games Yu decides to make.

After all, Shenmue 3 was meant to feature Baisa but that ended up being scrapped.

Apparently, the remaining locations are:

Chapter 7: Luoyang
Chapter 8: Mengcun
Chapter 9: Xi'an
Chapter 10: Beijing - The Forbidden City
Chapter 11: Xinjiang

But as @Niaxi says, some of these might get reworked/cut depending on how many more games Yu decides to make.

After all, Shenmue 3 was meant to feature Baisa but that ended up being scrapped.

Where did these possible locations come from? I know Yu-san at one stage was planning on 16 chapters, but condensed some of them down (possibly like how he just skipped chapter 2). However, I was unaware he had given away locations for this latest incarnation of the plan. Also are we counting the Guilin part at the end of Shenmue 2 and the Bailu part of Shenmue 3 as one chapter; number 5. Or is chapter 2 on the boat now discounted, making Aberdeen/Wan Chi chapter 2?

Also, in relation to the events on the boat, if the comic is still cannon and Ryo pitched Chai overboard, how on earth did he survive, given they were in the middle of the sea?

I believe he released a map of the remaining chapters at GDC 2014 and fans decoded the locations from there. But I read that exact list on the Shenmue 500K Facebook group from a big Shenmue fan on this Dojo. These are apparently the locations, but you never know they could be wrong. And like you say, it might not ultimately matter until Shenmue 4 is in our hands as locations which were planned since the 90's can suddenly change during the creation process (Baisha > Niaowu Castle etc).

Using the GDC 2014 concept art, the current chapter plan appears to be:

1: Yokosuka
2: Hong Kong/Kowloon
3: Train ride (???)
4: Martial Arts Tournaments (???)
5: Guilin
6: Baisha Niaowu
7: Luoyang
8: Mengcun
9: Xi'an
10: Beijing
11: Xinjiang

Shenmue 1 adapts material from chapter 1.

Shenmue 2 adapts material from chapter 2 and parts of chapters 4 (Kowloon Street Fights?) & 5.

Shenmue 3 apparently adapts material from chapters 3, 4 (Rose Garden Arena?), 5 & 6.

Personally, I regard the boat chapter to be non-canon because Yu has hinted in a recent interview that this deleted chapter would be re-adapted for Shenmue 3 (I'm assuming in one of the DLC packs). Could be wrong though.

Is xinjiang really planned to be the final location? 😂
I'd be shocked if he kept that as is with the current situation there.

Hmm, that's an interesting list, given that it doesn't seem to line up with the actual games. If I recall correctly, Ryo took a bus to Kowloon and a boat to Guilin. I was always under the assumption that Aberdeen/wan chai and Kowloon were separate chapters. However, this could be based on the old 16 chapter plan.

Hmm, that's an interesting list, given that it doesn't seem to line up with the actual games. If I recall correctly, Ryo took a bus to Kowloon and a boat to Guilin. I was always under the assumption that Aberdeen/wan chai and Kowloon were separate chapters. However, this could be based on the old 16 chapter plan.

The story is largely based on these concept images at GDC 2014 during Yu Suzuki's Shenmue Postmortem.

These were drawn when the game was still called Virtua Fighter RPG and not Shenmue, so there's some obvious differences between these and the actual games (e.g. the train ride on card 3 that would have happened before Guilin but got cut):

698943.jpg

1574714899887.png

I believe he released a map of the remaining chapters at GDC 2014 and fans decoded the locations from there. But I read that exact list on the Shenmue 500K Facebook group from a big Shenmue fan on this Dojo. These are apparently the locations, but you never know they could be wrong. And like you say, it might not ultimately matter until Shenmue 4 is in our hands as locations which were planned since the 90's can suddenly change during the creation process (Baisha > Niaowu Castle etc).

Using the GDC 2014 concept art, the current chapter plan appears to be:

1: Yokosuka
2: Hong Kong/Kowloon
3: Train ride (???)
4: Martial Arts Tournaments (???)
5: Guilin
6: Baisha Niaowu
7: Luoyang
8: Mengcun
9: Xi'an
10: Beijing
11: Xinjiang

Shenmue 1 adapts material from chapter 1.

Shenmue 2 adapts material from chapter 2 and parts of chapters 4 (Kowloon Street Fights?) & 5.

Shenmue 3 apparently adapts material from chapters 3, 4 (Rose Garden Arena?), 5 & 6.

Personally, I regard the boat chapter to be non-canon because Yu has hinted in a recent interview that this deleted chapter would be re-adapted for Shenmue 3 (I'm assuming in one of the DLC packs). Could be wrong though.

And Niaowu is based on Fenghuang.

I have vague memories of Yu talking about Lan Di and Ryo being stranded together or working together and Ryo finding forgiveness. Is this something that was actually talked about or am I crazy.

I have vague memories of Yu talking about Lan Di and Ryo being stranded together or working together and Ryo finding forgiveness. Is this something that was actually talked about or am I crazy.

It's been talked about here on the dojo, but I don't recall Yu-san ever mentioning it. It would be a rather big plot detail to give away if he did. Though when then chances of Shenmue 3 were remote, his tongue may have been a bit looser.

If the original outline of the 'chapters' is to be believed the next two cities are going to by Xian and Luoyang. However, Suzuki has changed and cut so much of the original story structure that it might be a moot point now.

Back