I think shenmue 4 will tell the story of baisha and xi an city.

does anyone else think it would be nice to go back to HK and Yokosuka on the way home for ryo? i'd really like to see the old characters and see the old areas in the new engine and it would be cool for nostalgia too

If the GDC cards are anything to go by, Ryo may never make it back home, as he may go to Mongolia (I find it HIGHLY appropriate and awesome that it was a dialogue choice when talking with Shenhua); we already know that card 11 is most-likely set in Inner Mongolia, so it appears he may be heading farther west.

However, if the GDC cards are not important anymore, it would make sense for him to come back home and settle into a life like his father.

We'll see.

If the GDC cards are anything to go by, Ryo may never make it back home, as he may go to Mongolia (I find it HIGHLY appropriate and awesome that it was a dialogue choice when talking with Shenhua); we already know that card 11 is most-likely set in Inner Mongolia, so it appears he may be heading farther west.

However, if the GDC cards are not important anymore, it would make sense for him to come back home and settle into a life like his father.

We'll see.
man that totally slipped my mind when i had that convo with her, i think i said Canada as my answer. good memory bro

Last edited:
lol if not for the fact that I've lived every second of my life in Canada (LIVED, not vacationed, though I've done a bit of that too, here ;)), I probably would've picked it too, for Nozomi and all (to see if he would bring her up).

But I've always had a thing for Mongolia, so yeh :D

I'd love for Mongolia to be a setting in a future game because of the inevitable horseback riding.

But I'd still want for Ryo to come back home at the end. A Yokosuka epilogue where you get to roam around town and see how much has changed would be the perfect ending.

I'd love for Mongolia to be a setting in a future game because of the inevitable horseback riding
Chapter 9 was supposed to be Inner Mongolia (technically a province of China, not Mongolia). there is concept art of Ren riding a horse.

But I'd still want for Ryo to come back home at the end. A Yokosuka epilogue where you get to roam around town and see how much has changed would be the perfect ending
I've thought that this could be a fitting denouement to the story. Maybe there would be a scouring of the shire kind of thing where Ryo would be changed by his journey.

The original plan though shows Ryo going west 'on a new quest'. I think the original ending of the game, based on the GDC talk, was that Ryo was supposed to get revenge only to become disillusioned and lost in life and embark on a new journey alone. It seemed like a tragic ending. Shenmue 3 foreshadows this a little bit.

However, given the way the story is panning out, and fan interest, it may very well return to Yokosuka in the end.

Chapter 9 was supposed to be Inner Mongolia (technically a province of China, not Mongolia). there is concept art of Ren riding a horse.

CHapter 9 was most-likely X'ian and there is no horse:

index.php

Chapter 6 is Xian (The first card in the second row). You can see that here on the map
View attachment 5984

Chapter 9 is third from the left.

Also, Ren on the horse:

View attachment 5985

Chapter 9 is the top one, just right of chapter 11.

I definitely remember the concept art of Ren on the horse, but it isn't a part of chapter 9's card, is what I meant.

I don't know China's geography too well, but I thought chapter 11 was Inner Mongolia. Looking at a map of China now, indeed 6 looks like X'ian and I was getting Xinjiang confused with Inner Mongolia, so I looks like I was thrown off, bearing-wise (hence my contradictions).

Apologies for the argument.

I believe its Luoyang. I think @LanDC posted something about the remaining chapter locations on Facebook if I'm not mistaken.
Im confused why they removed the tapestry of Luoyang and the picture of the scary mountains from Shenhua's house and replaced them with photos of Bailu Village.

Maybe the Luoyang part has been cut from the plot?

But on the other hand :There's also a conversation between Ryo and Shenhua in S3, where Shenhua says she frequently dreams of walking around in the old imperial capital and she sometimes feels like she has already lived for hundreds of years.

Keep in mind that these chapters were conceived when Shenmue was still called Virtua Fighter RPG: The Legend of Akira. I think Akira embarking on a new journey would be an attempt to set up Virtua Fighter 1 & 2.

Now that Shenmue is a completely different beast with no ties to the Virtua Fighter franchise, the ending could now be completely different.

Beijing; the one that is circled in red saying END.

I never noticed that before. If the game truly ends in The Forbidden City in Beijing, I'm wondering if the 11th chapter might just be a closing cutscene.

Originally it would be Akira heading West to start a new journey to set-up Virtua Fighter 1 & 2, but now it could be anything. :unsure:

Last edited:
Maybe the Luoyang part has been cut from the plot?

But on the other hand :There's also a conversation between Ryo and Shenhua in S3, where Shenhua says she frequently dreams of walking around in the old imperial capital and she sometimes feels like she has already lived for hundreds of years.

[/QUOTE]
I remember that conversation with Shenhua aswell. Luoyang has always been the area I look most forward to see i future Shenmue games before the E3 announcement I used to think we were going to visit Luoyang in the 3rd game. For some reason I think Yu changed the order of the locations we were goingt visit in the series I don't know i may be wrong.

I have vague memories of Yu talking about Lan Di and Ryo being stranded together or working together and Ryo finding forgiveness. Is this something that was actually talked about or am I crazy.

I remember Yu mentioning in a interview that, in a certain point in the journey, Ryo will lost interest in the revenge. And I believe that is bound to happen. In the recap movie, the narrator says that "Without understanding the last words of his father, Ryo pursues his revenge". So I think eventually Ryo will understand that and change his values.

Back