Is the timing of the QTE's broken?

If you have a modern flat panel you should also play video games with ‘game mode’ enabled. It will reduce latency.

Not directed at you but it still shocks me that people invest and buy 4K TV’s and don’t bother to optimize and have different settings for films, sports and video games. You don’t necessarily need your TV professionally calibrated but go online and for most models you will be given ideal settings you should have your display set as.

Mine usually fucks with the display/colours of the game I'm playing in a way that I don't really like the look of, so I leave it off. I did change it for Shenmue III though, made fuck all difference as far as I can tell, I still sucked at the QTEs.

Mine usually fucks with the display/colours of the game I'm playing in a way that I don't really like the look of, so I leave it off. I did change it for Shenmue III though, made fuck all difference as far as I can tell, I still sucked at the QTEs.

That’s why you need to check online and determine ideal video settings for your gaming mode and just not rely on preset values. As you indicated gaming mode at least on LCD and in my case OLED panels generally reduce brightness and saturation levels. Thus you need to make adjustments.

Also I firmly believe the QTE timing window are broken and far too short. I can clear and get pretty substantial scores as super expert in QTE arcade game yet failed 90% of QTE’s first time. There’s clearly a disconnect and again something that should have been extensively play tested.

It has nothing to do with the QTE's being too short, but does anyone find QTE Title to be SIGNIFICANTLY harder with the head fakes and shit? Shenmue I and II had this but you had to be real high up in points before the difficulty got that much harder.

I kinda like it. If I was a professional e-sport gamer I'd use this as training to keep my reflexes sharp.

It has nothing to do with the QTE's being too short, but does anyone find QTE Title to be SIGNIFICANTLY harder with the head fakes and shit? Shenmue I and II had this but you had to be real high up in points before the difficulty got that much harder.

I kinda like it. If I was a professional e-sport gamer I'd use this as training to keep my reflexes sharp.
They made the arcade games much harder too, definitely. In 1 and 2 QTE Title would start out with just the ABXY buttons but now it’s everything together now and quicker faster.

Okay so they are not broken but the timing is very strict and it's noticible. I beat the game on easy and still struggled with 90% of the QTE events that took place.

Nothing too major since you can restart from the same point

After hearing so much negative hype on the qte's here, I was expecting way worse, like they are strict but I dont think they are unfair, theres been a few times where my hand wasnt fully on the controller and I was still able to make it in time.

I don't feeled anything is broken. It feels like in the previous Shenmue-Games.

I've struggled.

The vast majority of qte's I havent been able to do first time. It's frustrating for me because it ruins the flow.

The problem with the QTEs is they appear on the screen before they are ready to respond to your input, causing me to sometimes have to wack the direction and button twice to get it to register or simply cause me to miss

I struggled a bit more with QTEs from Shenmue 2 than I ever have - I guess that's the 15 years. It doesn't help that it takes me an extra half a second at least to process which symbol on the PS controller is which - mostly it's circle and square I get mixed up

Despite those factors the Shenmue 3 QTEs are absolutely relentless. I usually just fail and have to memorize them. It's also disappointing there aren't branching QTE paths - either within the sequence itself or an actual different story path you can take if you win or fail.

The good point is that QTEs in chase sequences are still predictive (A to jump, right or left to dodge). Guessing the right button is very rewarding in this condition.

The lack of branching is highly frustrating though. And why did they remove the original sound design? It was way more rewarding.

Can I just add that I always hated that Sony uses symbols on their buttons. I especially hate it more when triangle shows up. In a flurry of signs its too easy to confuse it with Up.

Some of those button presses aren't reactable too during the catching chickens QTEs. Feels like you have to guess. I'm pretty sure there's something going on in the background where it gets easier if you miss it a few times, but the timing window on the unreactable QTEs need to be fixed. Even if it was their design intent to make you guess, I don't know if that was the right design intent to go with.

The QTEs during scenes where Ryo is dodging stuff or fighting people feel fine.

Last edited:
These QTEs have definitely caught me off guard several times, but honestly I kind of like it. The fact they aren't just a given like in a lot other games is nice.

The input time is incredibly short. I noticed that if I have my finger on square and the qte is circle there just isn't enough time to move my finger from square to circle no matter how fast I react. I'm not someone who struggles with QTEs either, even the ghost hall building wasn't much of a challenge for me.

They're really not that hard. I get most of them first time. What throws me sometimes though is that some of the chosen inputs seem a bit random. They were more predictable in 1 and 2.

They are not broken, just hard. It is just a follow up to the qte of 2. It has about th same difficulty level as the command qte in 2. Can be annoying sometimes but I do not mind.

The Shenmue QTE were always quite hard for me. Maybe the non CRT factor is a part of that. I experienced my first run of Dreamcast Versions of S1 and 2 in early 2018 on a LCD. And it was always quite hard. Maybe the originals were really easier on a CRT. I cannot judge that. It have not played an CRT since I left my parents house 13 years ago. My first own TV was a LCD already.

But I really cannot complain about the QTE. They are hard some times, but after finishing Fahrenheit or Indigo Prophecy as it was called in the states no QTE game can shock me anymore. Fahrenheit has the worst QTE of all time. Compared with the Fahrenheit QTE the S3 QTE are nothing.

QTEs in Shenmue 3 are definitely a mess and should be patched with bigger reaction time. It's that simple.
I don't even understand why there are people trying to defend this.

Mainly because a lot of people are saying they are impossible, when they aren't, they are just super quick. I do agree that they might need to be tuned though. I just hope they tune them relative to the difficulty setting. As Yu mentioned before, they scale with the difficulty, so keep the harder difficulty's QTE's hard please :D

Mainly because a lot of people are saying they are impossible, when they aren't, they are just super quick. I do agree that they might need to be tuned though. I just hope they tune them relative to the difficulty setting. As Yu mentioned before, they scale with the difficulty, so keep the harder difficulty's QTE's hard please :D

Ok for hard difficulty settings it might make sense, but not on the normal mode.

Back