Judgement Series

Well, the Kaito DLC hasn't been released yet (it's why I haven't removed LJ in my, "Currently Playing," below my avatar), so that'll be the next thing and I forsee it being a couple hours long or so.

After that and especially with Nagosh being gone, I could see a new spinoff be done, with the same engine and the same setting, just looking at a different character and background (perhaps a cop?).

I wonder what happens next with this franchise?
Hard to tell because we dont know anything about that agency issue.
It was never really official confirmed that there is or was a problem,
we dont know how old the news about the problem really is,
we dont know if they were able to solve it or not,
we dont know if Sega maybe is okay with the console sales numbers for the Judgment series
and therefore are going to ignore PC in this series.
We dont know how involved Nagoshi or the other old RGG Studio members who now left
were in Lost Judgment, so maybe the 'new' team isnt interested in a Judgment future,
maybe the old team wasnt really involved in Lost Judgment
and the new team is already working on a sequel.
Who knows if Takuya Kimura is even interested in working with Sega again
or if his agency pulled the plug.

I dont know, there are tons of questions. Depending on the answers, there are a lot of different paths.

Btw something that i noticed in the Lost Judgment skate park,
i thought that you would get the most points, if you collect all the blue coins + more than 7000 combo points
and then collect all new golden coins while still keeping up the combo points.
So with collecting all coins + full combo chain i got like 15.000 points max.

But then later i ignored all the coins and simply drove between two pipes
with one jump in the middle and farmed these three elements for perfect combos,
which is way easier than collecting all the coins etc,
and then in the end i got 20.000 points for that.

Isnt that kind of weird that the more difficult path gets less points than the most simple path?

I just went for the gold coins, basically; getting coins and doing a trick ONLY when there was a coin to get, I believe the most I got was 17,600 or 18,100 or something.

Ah i see, there is a difference between the coin and the combo points.
I thought 20.000 combo points would also give you the amount of coins but it doesnt,
you only get the coin bonus for coins you collected. So if you want to grind coins,
you have to collect coins. 20.000 combo poins and like 6 collected coins
only give you about 5000 coin points.
But if you collect all the coins you can get between 14.000 and 18.000 coin points.
So in this case the combo style points are kind of useless, they only matter in the story missions
where they want you to reach a specific amount of combo style points.

Last edited:
yeah, with yakuza apparently staying turn based, i'm really hoping this series keeps going beyond that agency's fuckery - still haven't finished last judgment, kinda taking my time there in case it's all we end up getting

Ah that would be cool with a decent budget.
The one thing i'm wondering about: could Takuya Kimura do these action scenes or how would that work?
I mean a lot of the set pieces have fight scenes,
so would they always use stunt guys and you never see his face or like full greenscreen CGI?
How would they pull off these skateboard chase scenes etc?
(not that they would use or recreate the game scenes but the character Yagami has a lot of action scenes)
Or would they scrap all of that (the 'gameplay parts') and only use the detective work + dialogues
and make it more grounded?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd think they would scrap the, "non-gamey," portions of the game and just focus on plot.

Maybe he'll get into a fight or two? lol He did do a bit of fighting in Blade of the Immortal...

It creates some funny scenes in my head
with like a super grounded dark tone and image quality like The Dark Knight,
Yagami sitting in super dark rooms with only one light shining at his face while slowly smoking a cigarette,
Yagami walking in a rainy night with the neon signs reflections in the puddles.

And then suddenly like techno + rock music starts and the scene switches
to some ultra greenscreen Dynasty Warrior fight
where Yagami has glowing fists and he punches five enemies 3 meters up in the air at once,
and then knock them out with some bike throwing heat action move.

And then suddenly back to dark gritty streets with jazz music.
Kinda ridiculous, kinda cool.

ljt.png

I did it! It actually took me exactly 100 hours to finish it.
Got the trophy for all side cases too. School story arc completely finished.
Played on hard difficulty as always.

It was great! First thing where i have to give the team credit, is the theme of the story.
It actually was very 'thin ice' in some cases and i think its great that the team wasnt afraid of that.
A US or EU studio probably would have received more complaints for that.
The team has some balls to make a serious story videogame with these kind of topics.

Did it surpass Judgment 1? Personally for me, it didnt.
I think the story in Judgment 1 has a bit more punch when it comes to the surprises and twists
and its a tiny bit darker in its tone.
The elements in Judgment 1 are really slowly coming together and then you are like 'aahhhh i seeeeee'.
Lost Judgments story wasnt actually that 'complicated' and a lot of times i already saw the clues
before the game told me about the clues. It still worked very well but i feel like it didnt have the same impact.
But still, Lost Judgment does win in some of the categories,
for example i'm pretty sure there is overall way more to do in Lost Judgment than in Judgment
and especially a lot of different stuff and variety.
Skateboard and boxing was a lot of fun.
They also did exactly what i was hoping for with more gadgets and how you can select dialogue options
but even here: i wish the detective elements and dialogue options would be even deeper than that.
I also liked that the different school activities didnt have like 50 missions each.
I think most of them had a reasonable length.

What else? Oh, the german text translation was awesome!
This game had some of the funniest translations ever. Like for example this side mission with the angry teacher
and how he screams at his students ... oh my god. 10/10.
Japanese voice cast was perfect too of course.

Yeah, so i guess i would give Judgment like 8.8 / 10 and Lost Judgment like 8.4 / 10.
And please dont misunderstand, its not a low score at all, i dont give many games a 9 or higher.
I think a 8 / 10 is still very good.
One thing that i remember, if Yagami isnt coming back in whatever way for whatever reason,
cant we get a game with someone like Kisuke Watanabe, the cop? I would like that.
Well done RGG Studio.

Heres a 4K wallpaper that i made by overlapping two screenshots
Lost Judgment_20220215004644 mega verwackler schwarz rauschen2.png
Lost Judgment_20220215004644 mega verwackler schwarz.png

Last edited:
Great points!

My only comment is that this is definitely the, "darker," plot game, over the first. The first is just a rogue branch of a pharmaceutical company, conducting experiments on people who are, "going to be killed anyways." (Yakuza, drying patients, etc.). Not that it ISN'T dark, but it's just more-sinister of a situation.

This game, the tone of the plot and the stakeholders are inherently more-evil and cold-blooded than the first and that darkens it quite a bit. What makes it such a fantastic plot however, is that the reasoning behind the killings, no matter how evil and heinous, appeals to a bit of our human noble side, as the targets are not people simply marked/ready for death like in the first game, but rather people who need to atone for a wrongdoing (revenge is NEVER good and I don't condone that shit at all).

It's why I stay out of Reddit and Gfaqs discussions on the plot; people actually defended Kuwana, because it sparked some admiration in them, as the, "killing is noble," completely ignoring the fact that, you know, HE'S PURPOSELY GETTING PEOPLE TO KILL IN COLD BLOOD AND HE'S FACILITATING IT ALL <_<.

A plot that can blur the lines between good and evil (even though it is 100% evil and should be taken as such) in a case like this, is an absolutely brilliant plot. Plus, while I love a good conspiracy with Big Pharma, bullying is a much more-universal subject and it affects everyone through every walk of life, regardless of age, gender, skin colour, etc. The way it was written as well, in terms of its use of plot devices, character traits and behaviours, settings and the like?

Phenomenal plot.

Yes, i had no problem with how it was written or the quality.
The thing i liked about Judgment a bit more, is that a lot of times
i was actually totally clueless about what was going on and why
and how does this or that have anything to do with the other stuff.
Thats why the twists and clues worked so well in the end because
thats when i was 'ah thats why, i get it'.

Lost Judgment wasnt really that ... riddle, twist, surprise heavy i guess?
It wasnt really about big surprises out of nowhere and more about how can we clear this whole situation.
I mean there were chapters where Yagami, the player and the team actually all new what happened,
they just had to figure out what to do with it. There wasnt any really big question left,
you already had all of the answers.
Most of them time i was able to put the clues together fairly early.
I feel like Yagami was a bit more clueless in Judgment 1 overall.

So in comparison i liked the narrative style in Judgment 1 a bit more
because it was more focused on surprises and i still remember that there were a lot of reveals that made me smile
because i finally understood what this all was about.
So Judgment 1 is kind of focused on a very specific clear theme, item, a 'product'
while Lost Judgment is more focused on very broad themes, not specific products or whatever ...
Judgment is about something you can take hold of, the overall theme of Lost Judgment is nothing you can really overcome.
I hope you understand what i mean.

Thats why i liked the conclusion of Judgment 1 a bit more just because for me it works better
in terms of 'the detective figured it out'.
In Lost Judgment he cleared the specific case but he cant overcome the overall problem.
In Judgment the overall problem of why the 'enemy' is doing all this still exists too in the end
but the difference is that the solution for the problem on the 'evil side' didnt actually work.

They thought they were doing it for the greater good and that they are on the correct side but they were wrong.
So actually Yagami stopped this whole process in the end and cleared the situation.
The whole case file with all is paths is closed.
The solution of the 'enemy' for the problem in Lost Judgment is just about ... revenge for very specific people?
Like killing people ... to kill them. Theres no greater good goal.
Yagami cant stop the overall problem in Lost Judgment, hes just following the damage that was already done
to figure out why it happened and then has to convince people that this is not the correct path to take.
But its kind of missing the big conclusion part. All of this stuff can happen again.
And thats not a bad thing, its just missing that satisfaction part for me.

Last edited:
Currently playing through Lost Judgment - and gotta say I think the boxing is the most fun I've had with the school stories so far! It's honestly good enough to be its own game, loved it. Robotics, not so much since getting to the tournament stage...

I just completed it today. 78 hours, school stories complete, all but 2 side quests complete, 90% completion of tasks.

It was another brilliant game; the story was compelling and made me feel on edge a lot. Loved the side stories; I think RGG as always got a good balance of darkness and humour. I think it helps that I tend to do all the side quests at once, so I can concentrate on the story. That way, the tonal difference isn't as jarring.

I think I enjoyed the boxing the most of the school stories. The robotics was fine, but much too grindy.

Looking forward to the Kaito expansion in a couple of weeks!

I do get a bit of RGG burnout, but a few months rest and i'm back in the game. I really ought to do Fist of the North Star again; it's the only one in the series i've not completed which is pretty strange!

I just completed it today. 78 hours, school stories complete, all but 2 side quests complete, 90% completion of tasks.

It was another brilliant game; the story was compelling and made me feel on edge a lot. Loved the side stories; I think RGG as always got a good balance of darkness and humour. I think it helps that I tend to do all the side quests at once, so I can concentrate on the story. That way, the tonal difference isn't as jarring.

I think I enjoyed the boxing the most of the school stories. The robotics was fine, but much too grindy.

Looking forward to the Kaito expansion in a couple of weeks!

I do get a bit of RGG burnout, but a few months rest and i'm back in the game. I really ought to do Fist of the North Star again; it's the only one in the series i've not completed which is pretty strange!
Do you have any advice re the robotics? I'm not sure I've got the time or patience to deal with it, which would be a shame as I was really enjoying the school stories until I got to the first tournament match...

Do you have any advice re the robotics? I'm not sure I've got the time or patience to deal with it, which would be a shame as I was really enjoying the school stories until I got to the first tournament match...
I got to be honest, I think because I bought the DLC pack (more for the Kaito expansion), it gave me a bunch of tools to do it a lot easier! I did have to re-do a couple of matches to get some parts in order to do an upgrade. The other thing I did was to try to get a square in their home area as that makes a 100% completion rate.

Sorry I can't help any further :(

Back