Kickstarter Project Update #103: A message from Ys Net, Epic Games & Deep Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, still just maddening to hear for the last few days. I could point them to some kickstarters that have truly taken people’s money and given nothing in return. At least YSNET has a product to give.

Anyways this is just me venting frustration from seeing that line all week so think nothing of it.

Elysian Shadows
Paprium
Saber Rider
Slave

4 projects off the top of my head I have backed that have more or less vanished. Elysian Shadows ran out of money and lost half its team, although Falco, bless him, does continue to work on the game not realising there's no chance he will ever finish it. And with Paprium, they literally told backers last year they were going to have a launch party and the game was ready to ship and then they didn't ship it because they had lied and the game wasn't really finished (the "launch" party showed off an unfinished, buggy, beta mess).

Yes the disappointment is understandable and I seriously hope that the backers will get the keys they voted for. But some People overacted in the Internet. But that did not happen in the dojo. So it would be fair to be super harsh to the People that did some fair criticial Points here in the dojo. I was a bit over ciritical to the People here, my apologies.

The truth is I did not trust the Project that much at all. I did the slacker fully knowing that many of these Things did not went well . I still decided to help Ys net but I was fully aware that it could go terrible wrong.

So I am just glad if they deliver at all. But some fans might have really trusted them and now they are genuinely mad about the epic controversy.

My faith in the People envoled in the Project was just not there. So I saw my Money as donation which maybe could help S3. I trust Yu-San as a developer but as much as businessman. That's why I was sceptical. and had low Standards.

I am more than happy if we get a game at all.

Hm, they wouldn't post this if they didn't have a solution brewing. I have a feeling this'll work out. They're probably working out some kinks now. Unfortunately for them, some people have zero patience which is ironic since Shenmue is all about patience.

They deserved the backlash 100%. I'm not a PC gamer but I understand why they're upset. Even Adam on YouTube had trouble defending their decision and he usually always has their back. This hurt shenmue really bad! Everyone on social media is angry and it's going to hurt sales big time. What they did was stupid. They'll lose money because of this..

Hm, they wouldn't post this if they didn't have a solution brewing. I have a feeling this'll work out. They're probably working out some kinks now. Unfortunately for them, some people have zero patience which is ironic since Shenmue is all about patience.

Funnily, it's because Shenmue III is as close to release as ever that people gets impatient.

How many people here were super hyped to play on August ? How many rewatched the trailers for more than 50 times ?

“Either give us what we want or let the series die a very sad death.”

Makes me sad/gutted to see comments like this on Kickstarter tbh. ?

On one hand I appreciate that so many people pledged money to the Kickstarter to get Shenmue 3 made. On the other hand, I wish some of these morons had never been a part of it. I understand wanting the game for Steam as pledged, but come on, these comments are idiotic.

The fact they're even posting this update indicates to me that reparations are incoming. I imagine we will see backers issued Steam keys, as promised, while new purchasers will only have the option of buying on EGS throughout the exclusivity period.

Fingers crossed everything works out and the reputation can be recovered somewhat.

They deserved the backlash 100%. I'm not a PC gamer but I understand why they're upset. Even Adam on YouTube had trouble defending their decision and he usually always has their back. This hurt shenmue really bad! Everyone on social media is angry and it's going to hurt sales big time. What they did was stupid. They'll lose money because of this..
That depends.

If the epic deal was for $40 a copy and they bought 1million copies that's $40 million. Hell 250k copies is $10 million. Would they sell 1 million pc copies? I'd be shocked so if they were offered that I can see why they took it.

Of course we don't know what the epic deal was.

Either way they should have given backets the steam keys or had a solution ready to go to help quell the justified anger.

Though those kickstarter comments boarder on ridiculous most of the time. Rational anger is fully justified

I have a feeling they will announce something that will be right for everyone, hopefully the damage isn’t irreparable.

I wouldn't build your hopes up. I feel they'll try to justify it rather than fix it. I hope I'm wrong.

Just a big What if... What if they offer backers the game without going to EGS but neither Steam? I mean, something like GOG or self distribution or just the old style shenmue3.exe in a zip? I mean, would that be ok?

The fact they're even posting this update indicates to me that reparations are incoming. I imagine we will see backers issued Steam keys, as promised, while new purchasers will only have the option of buying on EGS throughout the exclusivity period.

Fingers crossed everything works out and the reputation can be recovered somewhat.

I don't think so. I think they have to wait a year until they're able to release it on steam.

Just a big What if... What if they offer backers the game without going to EGS but neither Steam? I mean, something like GOG or self distribution or just the old style shenmue3.exe in a zip? I mean, would that be ok?

i dont think Deep Silver would do that.
Deep Silver and Koch Media are doing everything they can to punish piracy.
if you use peer to peer methods to download a product that is published or distributed by Koch Media,
there is a very high chance that you will receive a adhortatory letter from their lawyers.
you then have to accept to pay a fine (800€+) or you dont accept it and have to go against them in court.

if they give all of the PC backers (some of them will still be angry) some kind of free download method
so that they can play the game without any copy protection,
you can bet that someone will upload or share this whole thing on day one.

“Either give us what we want or let the series die a very sad death.”

Makes me sad/gutted to see comments like this on Kickstarter tbh. ?
I tried to post some positivity there at first but gave up a long time ago. Maybe it's the format, a never ending stream of escalating ridiculousness. Who is 'Shizooks'?

The real thing is the nagative attention from outside of those following the game closely. People getting mad about EGS exclusivity has been happening for a while. Deep Silver have attached Shenmue 3 to this.

I don't think so. I think they have to wait a year until they're able to release it on steam.
Looking back at the Metro Exodus controversy, they still fulfilled all Steam pre-sales on the platform despite the Epic exclusivity. I know it's slightly different as no proper pre-sales have been made in this case, but I don't think it would be entirely impossible for keys to be distributed.

Only speculating, of course, but this would be the best case scenario for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back