Kickstarter Update #108 - Trial version announcement

May be a stupid question but does this mean I won't be able to play it on a Mac running Mac OS?
11 pages and nobody gave you an answer. 1 day ago I would have said no, but things change and could change more in the next month.

Short answer: No, but you can install Windows either via Bootcamp or Parallels 15 or later.

Long answer:
The demo requires 64-bit Windows and DirectX 11. With WINE or commercial versions of it like Codeweavers "CrossOver" app you can run Windows applications directly under macOS without installing Windows. Unfortunately, WINE/CrossOver does not support DirectX 11 on macOS right now. They have been working on DirectX 11 support for a few years now and it's somewhat working on Linux but macOS is further behind. As of May 28th, someone got The Witcher 3 (a popular Windows DX11 game) booting to the title screen on macOS, but they aren't far enough along yet for any DirectX 11 games to be playable on macOS yet. Based on their progress over the past year I'm expecting this to be another 6 months to a year away.

Until today, there would have been no way to run it on a Mac without dual-booting to Windows. A virtual machine would allow you to run it on a Mac without leaving MacOS (you would install Windows inside the virtual machine, so Windows would be there but inside macOS) but prior to today no virtual machine software supported DirectX 11. The best you could do was DirectX 10.1, which VMWare supported. But today Parallels 15 was released which claims to add DirectX 11 support to their Virtual graphics card. There is no guarantee this will support the game, but it meets the system requirements. If you're deparate, Microsoft offers a 90 day trial version of Windows that you can download and Parallels offers a 14 day trial. You could try one or both of those once the backer trial is out if you want to run the game on macOS.

Personally, I have 3 Macs so this situation is something I'm familiar with. Shenmue I & II doesn't run in Crossover for the same reasons Shenmue 3 won't, it requires DirectX 11. So I have to boot Windows any time I want to mess with it. I'll be doing the same for the Shenmue 3 trial next month.

Gotta love all the "no trial" truthers shift to "they're purposefully delaying refunds so they can charge backers for the trial and not give full refunds!!"

But wait, you were demanding the trial a week ago? It's almost as if you aren't being genuine about your concerns, and just want to complain ?

To be honest, I am a little disheartened that the Shenmue 3 demo won't be released on PS4. However, it just makes the actual release of the game for me all the sweeter. Like many of you, I've been dreaming of this day for eighteen years so what's an extra month? At this point, there's only two things I genuinely care about.

1. The future of this franchise and doing our best to secure it.

2. Finally getting to play Shenmue 3. To have my weary eyes gaze on something truly special after so long.

Gotta love all the "no trial" truthers shift to "they're purposefully delaying refunds so they can charge backers for the trial and not give full refunds!!"

But wait, you were demanding the trial a week ago? It's almost as if you aren't being genuine about your concerns, and just want to complain ?

That's opportunists for you always trying to take advantage of the situation. Outside of the physical PC version, all other promises are being kept. Like @Spaghetti said, even if they are given a refund they won't stop. When it comes to refunds, the complaints are either they're stalling, lying, or that some will only get partial refunds. Like I've said before, bridges have been burned and there's really nothing you can do. All we can do now is simply move forward.

I just don't understand how they can't see how fucking insane they all look. We've all been to a shop and seen someone making a scene before, right? You know the type of situation, maybe you're in a queue and there's this one person, who feels wronged, stood holding up the line, screaming and abusing the staff. They just have to be right and just have to make a huge scene. They get more and more irrational with each word uttered. Everyone around them is rolling their eyes and getting increasingly frustrated by them. Eventually security marches them away or staff threaten to phone the police.

Yeah, those guys are the virtual equivalent of that.

While it's true these ppl won't stop, Ysnet, DS and Epic really need to get a move on with the refunds. It's really hurting the series and casting a shadow over it the longer this goes on.

Im sure we're gonna get some great stuff at gamescom, but it's going to be hijacked by refund requests. We can't have this in the game's final push.

At the very least, once refunds are given, these toxic f*ukers won't have a leg to stand on, so we can fire back full blast. Right now, they have some legitimacy to their stupid comments.

Give them the refund. Ban them from the kickstarter, tell them to f*k off and let's move on.

This conversation should absolutely NOT still be happening next month. If it does, we're talking about massive incompetence on behalf of all involved with Shenmue 3. And even I'd agree they're kicking the can down the road. A refund system should not take over 2+ months to implement. It should be priority number 1 and set to emergency as its actively damaging the game.

Admittedly, KS is alot more complicated and nuanced when it comes to refunds due to rewards, tiers and what not, but 2 months should be more then enough time to sort everything out.

Lets hope and pray ppl. This is the very last thing holding the series back. Nip it in the bud and let's push on to release.

While it's true these ppl won't stop, Ysnet, DS and Epic really need to get a move on with the refunds. It's really hurting the series and casting a shadow over it the longer this goes on.

Im sure we're gonna get some great stuff at gamescom, but it's going to be hijacked by refund requests. We can't have this in the game's final push.

At the very least, once refunds are given, these toxic f*ukers won't have a leg to stand on, so we can fire back full blast. Right now, they have some legitimacy to their stupid comments.

Give them the refund. Ban them from the kickstarter, tell them to f*k off and let's move on.

This conversation should absolutely NOT still be happening next month. If it does, we're talking about massive incompetence on behalf of all involved with Shenmue 3. And even I'd agree they're kicking the can down the road. A refund system should not take over 2+ months to implement. It should be priority number 1 and set to emergency as its actively damaging the game.

Admittedly, KS is alot more complicated and nuanced when it comes to refunds due to rewards, tiers and what not, but 2 months should be more then enough time to sort everything out.

Lets hope and pray ppl. This is the very last thing holding the series back. Nip it in the bud and let's push on to release.
Fingers crossed they initiate the process to apply for the refund asap.

As you say there's some issues around the KS they need to get over. For one I'd want to try and determine those who are genuine refund applications and the ones that are from PS4 owners who are changing their selection in order to abuse the system. I'd have a cut off date that whatever your selection is at the time refunds go live that's it, you can't change it to abuse the system.

Then they are having to work out those who have had rewards implemented into the game and partial refunds. I know it will cause some people to kick off but I see it like this; if you're out for a meal and you have 3 courses 2 of them are great and you have them no issue the 3rd is awful so you complain, you're then given that free/have it taken off the bill. That is a partial refund. The same prinicple applies to the KS refunds. Like it or not they have implemented them and this close to going gold cannot change them, you have had some of your reward so they refund accordingly to whatever you've not had.

I wonder if they will get this lvie before the demo goes online and then I wonder quite how many will plump for a refund knowing they won't get access to the demo if that's fully refunded.

Either way les get rid of them asap so we can enjoy the final push into November with a little September service stop :)

They really don't have legitimate complaints. We've gone round in circles over this and I know we don't want to turn this into another Epic debate, but come on.

Complaint 1 is the physical PC version is not a physical version because the data is not on the disc. Whilst I'm not a fan of the practice, it's pretty common in 2019 and even more common on PC. They're still physical editions. The physical version of Wolfenstein Young Blood on Switch is just a code in a box, it's still a physical copy.

Would I be annoyed if the same happened to the PS4 version of Shenmue 3? Yes, probably, but not enough to not buy it or enjoy the game. Not enough to demand a refund or spam my displeasure and occupy every comment thread on the internet. I'd say "well that kinda sucks" and would then move on my life like any normal person with a life and more important stuff to worry about.

Complaint 2 is that the press got to play 15 minutes of the game at E3 before backers. So what? It's not like a bunch of every day nobodies can download a demo on PSN and play the game. I would put the press in a different category from regular consumers. You have to be a real pedantic fuck to get bent out of shape over this, when it's part of the marketing process.

Complaint 3 regarding Steam and Epic I will leave aside since we've had that debate a million times.

And just be prepared for a lot of shit when the refund process does begin. Expect lots of "Ys Net will only issue partial refunds to disgruntled backers of Shenmue 3" or even "Ys Net refuses refunds to some backers" articles when it's reiterated in the process that you will not get refunds for rewards that have already been fulfilled or sneaky PS4 backers realise they won't get a refund by changing their pledge to PC a couple of weeks ago.

Item 9a addendum... Yu Suzuki must make a video wearing a t-shirt that says "I'm so very, very sorry" in every written language while he admits that he is actually not a very influential game designer

I do find it funny as heck that these people suddenly have amnesia about Yu's pedigree as a game designer.

Must have quite the track record to be given a life-time hall of fame award from the Interactive Arts academy handed to him in person by Miyamoto(The first recipient) along side a complimentary photo to immortalized the occasion & their legendary rivalry run during the Sega vs Ninty war.

They really don't have legitimate complaints. We've gone round in circles over this and I know we don't want to turn this into another Epic debate, but come on.

Complaint 1 is the physical PC version is not a physical version because the data is not on the disc. Whilst I'm not a fan of the practice, it's pretty common in 2019 and even more common on PC. They're still physical editions. The physical version of Wolfenstein Young Blood on Switch is just a code in a box, it's still a physical copy.

I'm in the middle of preparing to build a new rig...and every pre built rig I've seen on sale does not have an optical drive. That's how little optical drives matter in 2019 for PC. Hell, I know when I get my Switch Lite in September I'm not even gonna bother with physical. I'm just gonna grab a 200GB SD card and go full download.

Hell, I think if Sony and Microsoft could get away with it, they too would abandon physical drives. The only reason they don't is because they know they're serving markets that still benefit from physical release thanks to Internet limitations in certain places...I'm kind of glad they can't get away from it because I still like buying physical releases from time to time.

But when it comes to PC, it's going the way of the Dodo. Most builds don't have physical drives in them anymore....of course you can build one with a Blu Ray drive or buy an external drive or just put in your own drive. But it's not so standard anymore. Hence I don't really have a problem with them not going the full physical on disc route....optical drives are not the norm in PC land.

But anyways, like you said. It doesn't feel like a legitimate complaint. Even if they did give a disc, it still wouldn't have all the data on that disc...it'd be like 8GB and the rest downloaded. Just makes me wonder "why bother? Might as well just download the full thing at that point."

Last edited:
So outside of the EGS debacle...graphics complaints seems to be the brunt of a lot of ire/criticism.

I hope the demo can kill off these complaints and those with very good rigs plz give us screens/vids of Max setting HD shots of the game running fully optimized as well to use to quell back dissenters.

So outside of the EGS debacle...graphics complaints seems to be the brunt of a lot of ire/criticism.

I hope the demo can kill off these complaints and those with very good rigs plz give us screens/vids of Max setting HD shots of the game running fully optimized as well to use to quell back dissenters.

I'm on it. Trust me.
Not only I'm going to provide you 4k screenshots downsampled from 8k, not only I'm going to record a load of 4k60 footage, of gameplay but also I'm going to try to do off camera stuff like timelapses.
Also, I'm going to push the game as far as possible with ini tweaks, like draw distances and such.

I'm in the middle of preparing to build a new rig...and every pre built rig I've seen on sale does not have an optical drive. That's how little optical drives matter in 2019 for PC. Hell, I know when I get my Switch Lite in September I'm not even gonna bother with physical. I'm just gonna grab a 200GB SD card and go full download.

Hell, I think if Sony and Microsoft could get away with it, they too would abandon physical drives. The only reason they don't is because they know they're serving markets that still benefit from physical release thanks to Internet limitations in certain places...I'm kind of glad they can't get away from it because I still like buying physical releases from time to time.

But when it comes to PC, it's going the way of the Dodo. Most builds don't have physical drives in them anymore....of course you can build one with a Blu Ray drive or buy an external drive or just put in your own drive. But it's not so standard anymore. Hence I don't really have a problem with them not going the full physical on disc route....optical drives are not the norm in PC land.

But anyways, like you said. It doesn't feel like a legitimate complaint. Even if they did give a disc, it still wouldn't have all the data on that disc...it'd be like 8GB and the rest downloaded. Just makes me wonder "why bother? Might as well just download the full thing at that point."

Haha my Switch now has a 400GB card in it and it's glorious. I definitely recommend one if you can find one on sale and plan to buy a lot of digital games. Hell, as I said, a lot of physical games still have large patches or mandatory downloads required for the cartridge to even work anyways.

And yup, my laptop doesn't have an optical drive either.

Haha my Switch now has a 400GB card in it and it's glorious. I definitely recommend one if you can find one on sale and plan to buy a lot of digital games. Hell, as I said, a lot of physical games still have large patches or mandatory downloads required for the cartridge to even work anyways.

And yup, my laptop doesn't have an optical drive either.
remember the 2mb floppy disks?!
we've come a long way ....

I remember desperately trying to fit all my coursework onto 2mb floppy disk drives. Ah those were the days... I was also in an alternative metal / nu metal band in my teen years and played the keyboard, which had a floppy disk drive for transferring MIDI files and the like. It was nu as fuck.

I remember desperately trying to fit all my coursework onto 2mb floppy disk drives. Ah those were the days... I was also in an alternative metal / nu metal band in my teen years and played the keyboard, which had a floppy disk drive for transferring MIDI files and the like. It was nu as fuck.
I remember a friend of mine wanted to put c.s. 1.6 in a floppy disk.
Everyone in our class laughed like crazy! hahaha

remember the 2mb floppy disks?!
we've come a long way ....

Oh god yeah! I remember the early days of MP3 compression where if you wanted to get one song onto a 3.5 inch disk, you would have to compress the shit out of it (usually 64/96KB per second levels of compression depending on the length of the song)...you could get one MP3 onto one disk...it was utterly useless and sounded like AM transmission with the compression and all. But you could do it. And I did do it (for the hell of it...I think I did it with the Shenmue theme)

Or the days when Windows 95 came on 12 or 13 3.5 inch disks because CD drives still weren't the standard at that time.

Yeah, I remember those days...and now you can get a 1TB thumb drive that's 1/4 the size...how far we've come.

Back