Kickstarter Update #93 The Final Total!

180a010f3b.png

1XmmarR.png

Grant Di

Last edited:
I love what this thread has become

Last edited:
I'm going to be that guy, but it's somewhat amusing that we've now seen images of some of the rewards they are manufacturing before we've even seen gameplay... :p

IGN just put up their article about it, and yet again it reminds me why I don't visit that site anymore (only came across this because I saw it on twitter :p)

Shenmue series creator Yu Suzuki, however, was not content with the amount raised and continued looking for further ways to help make this project live up to his vision. He even re-opened the Kickstarter via Paypal through what was described as a "Slacker Backer period."

I mean, they are not wrong lol but I just hate how they word their stuff so much. They are basically putting words in Yu's mouth and then acting as if a slacker backing is a new thing that hasn't been done like 100 times before lol Hate IGN!

IGN just put up their article about it, and yet again it reminds me why I don't visit that site anymore (only came across this because I saw it on twitter :p)

I mean, they are not wrong lol but I just hate how they word their stuff so much. They are basically putting words in Yu's mouth and then acting as if a slacker backing is a new thing that hasn't been done like 100 times before lol Hate IGN!

Wow Jesus, that's some negative framing! Pretty much every KS does some sort of slacker backer campaign these days.

I'm no fan of IGN, but that quote doesn't seem off-base to me. "Yu Suzuki, however, was not content with the amount raised and continued looking for further ways to help make this project live up to his vision." It actually seems to be phrased in a fairly neutral way. It's not like they said something like, "Yu Suzuki, scoffing at the efforts of the Kickstarter backers, greedily set about looking for ways to sponge even more money from fans..."

But saying Yu Suzuki was 'not content with the amount of funding achieved' is pure conjecture and not a quote that can be attributed to Suzuki. The official reason for the Slacker Backer campaign was to allow people asking for a Paypal option or those who missed their chance to get involved.

It might be conjecture, but I'd say it's correct - almost to the point of stating the obvious. Of course he wasn't content with it, and knew he needed more funds to achieve his vision for the full Shenmue experience. Hence not only the Slacker Backer, but also the publishing deal that was struck with Deep Silver.

I'm no fan of IGN, but that quote doesn't seem off-base to me. "Yu Suzuki, however, was not content with the amount raised and continued looking for further ways to help make this project live up to his vision." It actually seems to be phrased in a fairly neutral way. It's not like they said something like, "Yu Suzuki, scoffing at the efforts of the Kickstarter backers, greedily set about looking for ways to sponge even more money from fans..."

It's just the passive-aggressive way of saying it (or "proffesional journalist way").
But that's just bad reporting, the guy is just a conjecture about YS motives and feelings.
And pointing it out as something out of the ordinary of kickstarters is just disingenuous.

But saying Yu Suzuki was 'not content with the amount of funding achieved' is pure conjecture and not a quote that can be attributed to Suzuki. The official reason for the Slacker Backer campaign was to allow people asking for a Paypal option or those who missed their chance to get involved.
I didn't see anything wrong with the text at first, but I think this is a great point. At the very least, the writing is unprofessional (though I suppose unprofessional is exactly what you expect from "professional" journalists these days tbf).

More ā€œjournalistsā€ framing for fame and propaganda profits

I just found an article about inXile, a AA developer who was purchased by Microsoft, making mention that AA development has gone from $5-6 million in 2012 to $15-20 million today.

So I would say there is a bit of negative spin in the IGN article, but it isn't too far from the truth to extrapolate more funds were needed, hence the partnership with Deep Silver.

I just found an article about inXile, a AA developer who was purchased by Microsoft, making mention that AA development has gone from $5-6 million in 2012 to $15-20 million today.

So I would say there is a bit of negative spin in the IGN article, but it isn't too far from the truth to extrapolate more funds were needed, hence the partnership with Deep Silver.
The joke is that AA games didn't even exist back in 2012 and only made a comback in the last few years.

Back