Kickstarter Update #99 - Reboot Develop 2019!

It seems they’ve left Yu to his own devices for marketing. Because of Yu’s humility he will fail to build the hype the way that is traditionally done in the gaming world, but then again, we’re probably not going to have sky high expectations like EA created for Bioware’s Anthem.
To be fair it seems like Deep Silver have been relatively strict in what Yu can show to the public and press, hence the slow drip of screens and footage. I think they will take the reins soon enough for a proper marketing push.

i didnt wanna say it cuz some may consider it blaphamous but for as much as I think Yu Suzuki is a genius, I think he is equally terrible at taking screenshots.

So many pictures that would look so much better if they at least had a normal angle.

Random gamers opinions of the newest Shenmue 3 screens.

An interesting take because they’re probably a little more objective than us fans.

Here:

View attachment 2704
I feel like this comment section isn't that bad by the standards of "random group of internet users". There are actual positive comments in there as well as mixed ones, and the negative ones seem more genuine and measured than hate-bonerish (that's a word look it up) to me.

That said, I'm not trying to be dismissive as I understand everyone interprets the same images differently, but I am literally staring at his hands in that one image and not seeing anything strange. Are they saying his fingers are curling too much for an otherwise relaxed pose?

To be fair it seems like Deep Silver have been relatively strict in what Yu can show to the public and press, hence the slow drip of screens and footage. I think they will take the reins soon enough for a proper marketing push.

Yu indeed talked about "long negotiations" with Deep Silver for showing fight gameplay in the MAGIC trailer. Pretty indicative about what may happen in the coming months.

Last edited:
Indeed. The images we received on Friday have just continued to make me more excited with each time I look at them. Absorbing them. Looking ever closely at the new video game environments I will call home. I adore them, from the cobbled stones on the ground, the style of the architecture, the Panda Arcade having its sign carved into a huge section of a cut tree trunk. The fact that the entire Bailu Village branch is made from materials such as corrugated sheets, and whatever other makeshift materials they could use. cannot wait to hear the rain on that tin roof as I try and beat my last QTE Fighter score. Its a good bet that the Choubu branch of the Arcade will be made of more sturdy materials, like brick or concrete, and probably a little bigger. That's sheer attention to detail, which I love about Yu Suzuki, and why I can look past any of the usual internet hyperbole.

The one question I have been trying to get the answer to for quite a while now is are those buildings on the right hand side of the dock (left hand side in the trailer where the boat arrives) accessible. or is that all just for show? I need to know if I can explore all of that.
yeah that worried me to,that railing makes the game feel very small and boxed in

This shot...

20-reboot_2019_walk_a1pj23.jpg

...reminded me a lot of this:

dreamfall_chapters___screenshot_by_allenrgamer-d882gdh.png

Even though Dreamfall Chapters is set in the future, it has a Chinese-inspired water front with market stalls. It's also another Kickstarted sequel to a dormant series created on a limited budget (though much less than Shenmue III), but in Unity, not UE4.

The Gamekyo comments are the perfect example why I stopped reading Internet comments in the first place. They have no substance. Some People want to be funny but they are not. Other People are just criticising for the sake of criticising.

I also do not think that these People are more objectiv than us fans. If they were would underline their critics with some Arguments. Instead of stating Shenmue Looks ugly, they should bring some examples which games Looks better and what Things can be improved. Just saying it Looks bad is not enough to warrant a real discusion.

This shot...

20-reboot_2019_walk_a1pj23.jpg

...reminded me a lot of this:

dreamfall_chapters___screenshot_by_allenrgamer-d882gdh.png

Even though Dreamfall Chapters is set in the future, it has a Chinese-inspired water front with market stalls. It's also another Kickstarted sequel to a dormant series created on a limited budget (though much less than Shenmue III), but in Unity, not UE4.
I know it's apples and oranges on many fronts, but it also speaks to how more sophisticated, visually, Shenmue III is than other AA counterparts.

I know it's apples and oranges on many fronts, but it also speaks to how more sophisticated, visually, Shenmue III is than other AA counterparts.
Less Apple to oranges than you may think. The second game in the The Longest Journey series, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is one of the most similar games to Shenmue in core gameplay.

It's a 3D adventure game with fighting combat... albeit badly implemented.

Yeah, they did extremely well with DFC considering the budget and team size (well, apart from the terrible performance at launch thanks to an outdated version of Unity). It's honestly a really nice looking game in most instances thanks to good lighting/shadow, just a little basic in terms of geometry.

I'm kind of expecting Bailu Village and surrounds to be similar in size to Europolis in DFC.

The Dreamfall series is awesome . One my favourite gaming series as well. Have not played dreamfall chapters yet though. But the one comparision screen looks awesome.

The Dreamfall series is awesome . One my favourite gaming series as well. Have not played dreamfall chapters yet though. But the one comparision screen looks awesome.
I backed it at the time and I'm a shamed to say I've only put around 4 hours into it, despite buying it again on PS4. What I have played has been great though. Deeply underrated series in my opinion. Both TLJ and Dreamfall were excellent games, but not without their quirks (combat in Dreamfall, some bad puzzles in TLJ).

Last edited:
i didnt wanna say it cuz some may consider it blaphamous but for as much as I think Yu Suzuki is a genius, I think he is equally terrible at taking screenshots.

So many pictures that would look so much better if they at least had a normal angle.

Being a very talented game developer does not make one automatically also a marketing talent. Back at his time at Sega he had his own people for that. Now they have probably not the money to hire the perfect marketing gurus.

And it seems that DS is also quite restrictive in deciding what can be shown and what can't be shown.

The comments at the frech page cannot be taken seriously anyway though. Was reading more of them and as expected a single "genius" said S3 looks like a PS2 game

And that cannot be taken seriously. This people were either to young to really experience the PS2 or have forgotten how games looked. And anway how decides how a PS4 looks.

This a PS4 game

and this a ps4 game as well

The second game looks less impressive technically seen but it is still a ps4 game although this stuff might be even possible at the ps2.

But nobody called it a ps2 like game. It was praised for the different graphical styles.

So it is funny that they insult Shenmue 3 as a ps2 game although there a re many other games out there that look more than ps2 games than Shenmue.

S3 does not look like a ps2 game at all for me. And unlike the funny people that state that I still use the ps2 in 2019 from time to time. And I cannot see an parallels between S3 and a ps2 game. Not even the best ps2 games.

Always wanted to try Dreamfall. Where do I begin?
@ShenmueTree is right, The Longest Journey is definitely worth playing. Don't be afraid to use a guide when you're stuck, though. It's definitely more about the world, story and characters.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey isn't a direct sequel (there never was a direct sequel) but you'll definitely get more out of it if you've played TLJ. Dreamfall is more similar to Shenmue, I guess, but doesn't have any of the "life sim" elements. It's more of a straight-up action/adventure lite.

Back