KS Update #92; Surveys #6 A thank you from Yu Suzuki and final survey deadline!

We might as well start getting our predictions in for the total amount we think the campaigns have generated before they give us an update.

I’ll be very happy if we’ve reached 8 million but I’m not holding my breath.

I don't think any NPCs will be text-only while some have recorded lines, as that'd be a jarring mix. I think it's more likely that we can't interact with the ones roaming the streets or aren't key to the story.

Money-wise, they might've raised less than we think as people's cards or banks are often rejected. Although maybe they take this into account earlier.

No reason not to have a fully-voiced game IMO. It's not like they would need 200 different actors for 200 individual NPCs.
Besides, as others have suggested, fans would happily provide voice-over work for free if it came down to it.

If they need to cut corners on NPC voices,
they might just use the same voice clips for multiple similar NPCs.

As for game size, I wonder if they are using a system, similar to the "seed" one in SH1&2 ?
Having a improved and more complex seed system could compress the game's data,
efficiently, while avoiding most "copy-paste" feeling.

But, we don't know the extent of what is possible with the engine used.
(I'm still hoping that the final game has quite flexible floating elements,
like Ryo's jacket or realistic dresses, for Nia Sun and Shenhua, for instance.)

I think recording the dialogue in both English and Japanese is going to be harder on the budget than voicing every NPC in one language. Still think they made a mistake doing it in both languages. I know we all love Corey, but...

I was very surprised when they announced that Corey was returning. I just assumed that it would be Japanese audio only. I still think that's the way to go, but I guess it's too late now.

Corey Marshall's voice work should have begun back in May, so hopefully everything is going swimmingly on that front.

Corey said that quite a while ago when the game was still on schedule for a 2018 release. They only started Japanese voice work at the very beginning of June (or end of May), so I doubt very much that English voice work began then. I'm almost certain that they have not begun work on the English voices yet.

Corey said that quite a while ago when the game was still on schedule for a 2018 release. They only started Japanese voice work at the very beginning of June (or end of May), so I doubt very much that English voice work began then. I'm almost certain that they have not begun work on the English voices yet.
Ah, right. I haven't been keeping up with progress on that front. Thanks for the update.

I don't think any NPCs will be text-only while some have recorded lines, as that'd be a jarring mix. I think it's more likely that we can't interact with the ones roaming the streets or aren't key to the story.
I hope that nobody was actually thinking that. I was thinking more along the lines of the Yakuza games, where cutscenes and parts of side-stories are voiced while others are just text boxes. And even with that, some of the text boxes there have random vocalizations that go with them. (Simple things like Thank you, Yes, etc.) What I'm saying is that it's not unheard of to have a mix of voiced and unvoiced stuff, although it would be weird if Ryo was fully voiced while other characters were not.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but in the event some things end up not being voiced I think this would have been a teaser for how that works.

Personally I'd like to see NPC's fully voiced but we will have to see. If the budget has to be spent elsewhere then that's fine. I'll admit it will be odd to have a Yakuza type thing on the voices as I am so used to Shenmue being fully voiced and being able to talk to everyone.

But in the wider scheme as long as the game is awesome then I'm sure we won't mind!

I don't think they need the seed system anymore, there's no shortage of storage nowdays, it would be a waste of effort to have worse results (they need to have a very monotone inflection to cut and paste), just have 2 or 3 lines and call it a day.
I'm not discarding a Yakuza style of dialogue (hell, a lot of JRPGs for that matter), but I'll miss the procedural camera work of the originals (that would look just funky without audio/lipsync).
i Agree they should have gone with the japanese only choice, but if they can afford it, it's great to have the choice.

In regards to survey answers I think I have put a nice little message in the guest book, but I have mentioned "QTE Title" do you guys think this will be okay to use? seen as we can't mention brand names and stuff. QTE Title is only a made up game in Shenmue I can't see how that would be an issue?

In regards to survey answers I think I have put a nice little message in the guest book, but I have mentioned "QTE Title" do you guys think this will be okay to use? seen as we can't mention brand names and stuff. QTE Title is only a made up game in Shenmue I can't see how that would be an issue?

Seems like that should be just fine and dandy!

I didn't realise that it wouldn't allow me to just partially complete the survey. I actually don't want to put a message in the guestbooks or have my picture in the game! Hmm. If anyone wants these rewards, drop me a PM.

Edit: Got a couple of interested parties already.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, gonna leave my message as it is! :)

Think we'll see an update tomorrow on the total?
and maybe a new screenshot or something to celebrate? ;)

Think we'll see an update tomorrow on the total?
and maybe a new screenshot or something to celebrate? ;)
Maybe towards the end of the week or the week after to give them time to total up etc

Are they still gonna publish the final numbers for the slacker backer campaign? It seems odd to think that it would take them months to calculate the total.

Back