Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th 2019 Part 2 Discussion and Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was found on the backer page
Some people love to work themselves into hysterics, honestly. The spiel about how long they've been a fan, the monetary contribution, and the limp, impotent demand for a refund. I feel like we see at least one of these pop up every time a video comes out, or it takes too long between updates, or a screenshot they don't like comes out.

These people are as fragile as tissue paper.

People can say what they want, but I was happy with what I saw. Trailer got me ready to pre-order when it is time. Combat really looks better than I thought it was going to be. Yes they could have shown more for sure, but it is what it is. Everyone is acting like this is the final trailer though despite expectations. The negativity from some people at this point is kind of annoying IMO like this message.

I waited 20 years, I hoped and gave $ 300 in the Kickstarter campaign. Despite the mockery of the first images, I gave you my confidence.
In the end, no, I'm sorry, it's disgusting. Everything is ugly. Absolutely everything! And it's really not a question of money. Just talent.
Many independent developers do better with less money and staff. Even a hobo can do better under Unreal Engine 4.
Still, you hired the Korean person who did a wonderful job of posting youtube videos of shenmue 1 with the Unreal Engine 4. Where is he? What is he doing?
etween the facial and body animations, and the faces really strange and disgusting (especially npc), I can not vimient immerse myself in this universe.
And I sincerely hope that the camera will not have this position during the fighting, how to fight in such conditions?
I prefer to replay Shenmue 1 and 2 forever that review this trailer .... maybe even tear my eyes. And to all those who say that it does not matter .... do not forget that love makes you blind and a little stupid.

I want to be refunded please.

Talk about someone who expected too much! He must've forgot that this isn't an AAA here, but hey, that is their problem. I don't see any problem with the graphical style of the game personally. but then again I'm not a graphics junkie. People are just spoiled by today's visuals and expect something hyper realistic out of that. Some people are expecting something groundbreaking I guess. Sigh. This is like someone who idealized someone they had a crush on to get smacked by reality when they actually got to date them, lol.

there are some small mistakes in the trailer.
you can see some icons with japanese text and keyboard commands on screen and at some point
there is a mouse cursor in the middle of the screen.

i know this sounds like an excuse but i really think that this trailer is really more like a update for Backers
and not a trailer to present the game worldwide.

thats how it seems to me. the whole ending is very abrupt, there are recording errors, there is no release date,
no PEGI / USK / ESRB rating pending logo and Deep Silver isnt uploading the trailer on their official site.
so this is not a trailer from Deep Silver to promote the game worldwide.

Last edited:
Rolled my eyes when Yakuza got brought up as a comparison. Yakuza is SEGA's most expensive series, so it's not a fair comparison on cost at ALL - and the general animations in Yakuza side quests and outside of cutscenes looks pretty basic and honestly a lot worse than anything seen in this trailer. Just mouth bobbing open and closed.

Hot take is right, because they've clearly not really put the time into thinking about this.
Damn, the title of the video alone pisses me off! It's like CNN news, encapsulating an entire situation on a single and smal negative thing. Also Shane's friend clearly never played shenmue, what is he talking about? In all that video, all they saw were facial issues... damn, they should go a look for a doctor. they are not see well or are seeing through a funnel.

Rolled my eyes when Yakuza got brought up as a comparison. Yakuza is SEGA's most expensive series, so it's not a fair comparison on cost at ALL - and the general animations in Yakuza side quests and outside of cutscenes looks pretty basic and honestly a lot worse than anything seen in this trailer. Just mouth bobbing open and closed.

Hot take is right, because they've clearly not really put the time into thinking about this.
Damn, the title of the video alone pisses me off! It's like CNN news, encapsulating an entire situation on a single and smal negative thing. Also Shane's friend clearly never played shenmue, what is he talking about? In all that video, all they saw were facial issues... damn, they should go a look for a doctor. they are not see well or are seeing through a funnel.

Same business as usual. Many people were expecting to much and cannot stop complaining. I on the other hand was very pleased with the trailer. It gave a good vibe of the things that will happen in the game. And as I have said many times I really like how the game looks. Not the plain boring AAA type game look. It is way more colorful and vivid. It just looks like Shenmue. A modern shenmue. Really Looking forward to August.

That Rerez video is just gone... It wasn't mass downvoted so I have no clue why it was removed.

-Facial animations are still too stiff, but definitely improved. With only 6 months to go until release, hopefully they'll be improved to an acceptable level. I'm a little worried though.

-Upon first viewing of the trailer, I thought I found the exaggerated features of the NPCs a little jarring compared to the modest looks of Ryo and Shenhua, but remembering Shenmue 2's NPCs, I don't think that's it. I think what I find jarring is not the models themselves, but the texture work on their faces. Shenmue 2 had characters with exaggerated features, but they also had realistic textures; i.e. they didn't look like clay models.

-The dialogue in the trailer was a little stilted. Shenmue has always had some awkward/silly dialogue, but it managed to be charming. The dialogue in these short cutscenes just seem....uncinematic? Boring? Obviously with this short of a clip, you can't really glean anything from the entire package. Just an impression I got though.

-I know they were trying to show off gameplay elements with this trailer, but if you're trying to build hype to the general public, I think you could have put together a more exciting/informing trailer than that. I guess the trailer was mainly for the backers and Shenmue fans though.

-Still not a fan of Shenhua's new character model. It's too much of a drastic change from her original appearance.

+Ryo's character model is on point. Finally.

+Lan Di's character model is pretty close. Face needs to narrower and eyes sharper. Right now he almost looks more Ryo than Ryo does in the face, even though Ryo looks like Ryo in an entirely different engine, if that makes any sense.

+The combat looks great. It looks very fluid and it looks like Shenmue.

+Environments are A+.

Well, now that the Dojo's working again, I can post my thoughts:

The trailer is fairly unprofessional. There are unstable framerates all over the place, and a mouse cursor on-screen at one point. Both of these are easily fixable issues (when producing a trailer, it's common to run the game at a much slower speed and speed it up to make it look as smooth as possible, dubbing the sound in later - this hasn't been done here).

Some of the camera choices are cheesy. The zoom on Shenhua's face looks like it's parodying something rather than to be taken seriously.

The cartoon characters are a little weird. They don't look like they're from the same game.

That's about all I can complain about. Story looks to be ramping up, we have a fighting engine that looks every bit as good as the original, and the environments are amazing. Lan Di now looks exactly like Lan Di should. I'm happy with what I've seen.

my initial impressions from ResetEra:

this looks great and very Shenmue which is perfectly what i want.
it's not the trailer i want (i want a full preview trailer showcasing the different elements in the game) but what i saw is beautiful aside from lips animations.

i see a lot of complaints in the animations department but i can tell that body animations are quite good even excellent while fighting which really should not surprise me since suzuki san is a master at martial arts but it did since i was afraid the budget/talents wont allow it.
the scenery is quite beautiful and distinctive from place to another with no overused assets even though the whole trailer took place in the first area of the game!

i was quite impressed by what i saw honestly even though it's not the trailer i want.

Here's someone who got to watch 10 min of gameplay. He says we will like this (according to the Microsoft-translation).

I agree that a more complete trailer but guys we have to be realistic. Y-s net has never been a marketing juggernaut. Based on their showcases in the past it was quite clear that will just show some footage and do not think much if at all how to hype the stuff. The trailer looks more like a update than real marketing. I am fine with that, but I also hope that the marketing guys from deep silver will start with the real promotion now. Real promotion stuff, should be made and shown at real gaming events.

I agree that a more complete trailer but guys we have to be realistic. Y-s net has never been a marketing juggernaut. Based on their showcases in the past it was quite clear that will just show some footage and do not think much if at all how to hype the stuff. The trailer looks more like a update than real marketing. I am fine with that, but I also hope that the marketing guys from deep silver will start with the real promotion now. Real promotion stuff, should be made and shown at real gaming events.

Well, I finally kept refreshing and got to this point...here goes:

I really enjoyed the trailer. It is easy to tell it is still a WIP, but there is still a LOT of time left on the table for refinements, optimizations, etc.

The disinclination to re-confirm the release date on the trailer and the Kickstarter update suggests to me that delay of 6-8 months I felt in my gut may end up becoming a reality. I'm okay with that, considering what I saw today.

I would also like to note that I watched the trailer with my wife, who has never played Shenmue, but appreciated my passion for the sseries. She never saw it until I played the recent HD Collection.

She loved the trailer and said "I love the detail! And what I like most is even though he moved into a new generation, he still refused to give up his style over hyper-realism. It still looks like it belongs in the series, just updated. He did so much research and there is a lot of heart in it to make it as close to what people want as he can."

That's an honest comment from someone who had never played, only seen it a few months ago.

Heh rerez deleted the video, probably after I commented saying that the animations look perfectly fine, and that there isn't 'Zero facial animations'. I was like "First hot take video I've ever disliked".

i wonder if anyone form the dojo was lucky enough to be able to see this 10 min behind the scene demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back