spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Again due to the length of the previous topic and to save people having to go through 50 pages of stuff, please discuss all Monaco Press Conference themes here.

The trailer again for reference:

Reposting from last page then;

OK. First off; this is not a trailer. Someone somewhere (here, YouTube, Twitter, sorry, late to the party) said that it was like a "previously on Shenmue III" recap, which fits. Further supported by the info that this isn't being showcased anywhere as an official trailer. This is for us, as smn here said, several people said actually. And when I got my head wrapped around this (bc like many I was expecting a trailer trailer so was a bit wah...?!) it is gorgeous. A couple of views later and I like it more and more.

We get lore, we get the fighting system, we get hints of things to come. And can we please talk about Ryo the robot evolving? Haven't seen it mentioned here yet but listen to the voice acting! Cannot wait to hear Corey do it too (I don't even care for the English dub much, but c'mon!, he's been all over the new directions). Ryo sounds ... resigned, in pain, excited! That is amazing.

As for the graphics, minefield apparently, for what was put in (money wise, lest we forget it was and is limited), they maintained a Shenmue vibe imo. Which is terrific.

Hearing Earth and Sea playing .... Good grief, talk about pandering to us fans. I'm not worried they won't have something to lure newcomers in, as said, this was for us. After all, the fans paid for it to get going again.

Of course it's not perfect. I was underwhelmed going in expecting something it wasn't set up to be. Yet, this will keep me on until the next bit drops and it will. They already said there's more to come. I trust that.

Meanwhile, let's nitpick away. If you wanna hang your head, go a head. I'll discuss details with you but won't be dragged down cause it delivered within its boundaries, for me. Again, the expressed emotions really did it. That's something new, that's something I've been waiting for. High five to Matsukaze-San.

The more I think about this thing, the more confused it makes me. How can anyone claim this is not a trailer? It has the exact word in its title. Why would they name it "Gameplay Trailer" when it has 3 seconds of gameplay? Either this game is massively behind schedule, or they are purposely trolling us by naming it "Gameplay Trailer". This is just so strange.

Also the decision to take this random snippet out of an allegedly longer trailer and show it now just baffles me. The more YS Net and Shibuya try to explain what happened, the weirder it gets.

This is just really weird. Another delay is the last thing this game needs.

That said, I really liked what they did show! I loved the bit of fighting we saw, I loved Shenhua, Ryo and Lan Di, I think they absolutely nailed the Shenmue feel and I liked the voice acting. I'm just really worried if they can finish the game before the PS4 will become a dead system.

The more I think about this thing, the more confused it makes me. How can anyone claim this is not a trailer? It has the exact word in its title. Why would they name it "Gameplay Trailer" when it has 3 seconds of gameplay? Either this game is massively behind schedule, or they are purposely trolling us by naming it "Gameplay Trailer". This is just so strange.

Also the decision to take this random snippet out of an allegedly longer trailer and show it now just baffles me. The more YS Net and Shibuya try to explain what happened, the weirder it gets.

This is just really weird. Another delay is the last thing this game needs.

If I had to guess, everything we're seeing is in-game assets. And considering the bulk of Shenmue has always been talking to people, I guess maybe they consider that gameplay? I get what you're saying though and for the most part I agree. I do think it is slightly troubling that we're not seeing something that looks like someone actually playing the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did any of the press at MAGIC actually get hands on time or were they just given a demonstration of gameplay?

What we saw in that trailer does look to be in game assets though. But I do agree, it is a little strange that we still aren't seeing something that looks akin to actual gameplay in a trailer marked as a gameplay trailer. That's still my one major concern.

As for the possibility of the delay...I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, but I was also the guy who scoffed at that August 27th date to begin with and thought "either they are super confident in what they have or there is no way they are making that date."

And can we please talk about Ryo the robot evolving
Yeah, seeing Ryo so expressive was weird as fuck lmao.

average-shenmue-dialogue.jpg

And no offense to Cory but I think he's going to have a seriously tough time topping that VA for me, that was excellent.

Another delay is the last thing this game needs.
A while back I was thinking another delay was still a very real possibility, and if that's what they decide to do, I fully support them. I was expecting PS5/Xbox Two versions anyways.

Last edited:
This is a response to those who think the game should be delayed again. I hope you can give Deep Silver a compelling reason that delaying the game again will yield a higher profit. That spending more money on development, marketing, producing, and possibly manufacturing and reporting to their shareholders another one to two quarters without profit will be worth it. Deep Silver doesn’t care as much about the quality of Shenmue III as the fans do they only see it as a potential money maker (and maybe good PR) that’s all.

Also the amount of time spent on a product doesn’t make that product high quality its the effort that’s put in with the time you have. For example Duke Nukem Forever was in development hell for fifteen years versus Soul Calibur One for the Dreamcast that surpassed the arcade port with a development time of seven months. So its been proven that a lot can get done with the remaining development time left for Shenmue III.

As for worrying about the critics, there is such a thing as critical dissonance where the audience will tend to be at odds with reviews and reviewers. All one needs to do is to take a look at movies like Ghostbusters 2016, Star Wars The Last Jedi, Captain Marvel 2019, and Alita Battle Angel to see the gap between audiences and critics. I have no doubt that critics still have some sway over public opinion but thanks to the internet word of mouth spreads fast. So even if Shenmue III isn’t popular with critics if it strikes a chord with audiences then that will determine its sales.

Last edited:
@Van Joel Sandwich @Spaghetti

Sorry to message you like this and not reply traditionally but I keep running into errors whenever I quote your posts. I've tried over and over that I'm starting to grow a beard.

Anyway, in my previous image, I pulled up the trailer and just randomly print screened a point with Ryo without even thinking about lighting. Corrected that now.

pjimage (1).jpg

Definitely a large improvement over Gamescom. But I still suspect the right image is from a slightly more recent build of the game. Unless I'm going completely insane here, to my eye the right image does appear that bit more advanced compared to the left and I picked up on this immediately when I watched the trailer.

I'll reiterate my point from the old thread in case people think I'm shitting on the trailer: I'm not, I suspect this trailer might be showing off a build that's a bit earlier that what the actual game might possibly look like right now. If so, perhaps the janky animations/awkward NPCs people have spotted might have since been improved upon as this might be old footage.

Do I need to book an eye test? I swear these models are different.

@Van Joel Sandwich @Spaghetti

Do I need to book an eye test? I swear these models are different.
Don't worry, you're not alone. My first reaction upon seeing that screenshot was "Nice, Ryo looks a lot better now". Whilst Ryo in the trailer looked more or less the same as Gamescom.

But is it actually an updated model? Or is it the angle, expression, etc... Playing tricks on us? Hard to say.

its probably called gameplay trailer because the trailer that we can see online is only
a snippet of the whole 10-15 minute thing? the beginning and the end of the trailer is weird with the black screens
like its just cut out of a larger part?

and as i said, the trailer is not a official trailer from DS to promote the game.
no rating logos from any company, no release date and no upload from DS.

I was just thinking about after a hard day of wood chopping to buy me new bate for the tournament. I want to play that! :)

I'll be honest, i was not fond of the first two trailers. However, i understood it was a work in progress.

This Magic trailer though, is INCREDIBLE!!. I love it. I think i've watched it like 30 times already. Sure some areas need polish, but honestly, im more than happy with what i see. Everything is just so Shenmue.

The character models have come a long way. They look very good. Ryo, Shenhua, Lan Di, and the old man look great.

Oh and i know im in the minority here, but i love the goofy big fella with the exaggerated face. So good.

ZEBRoqB.jpg

Whoever messed up his house, i'm gonna make them pay. There's 500 NPCS in the first two areas, im glad there's some wild characters like this. I think i'll refer to him as Mr Muscle's brother.

The thing that blew me away was Ryo and Shenhua's relationship. Ryo is a hot headed kid who charges forward, but it looks like Shenhua balances him out. Im shocked he actually listened to her when he was beaten up.

Shenhua >>>>> Nozomi :)

I think the relationship between these two is gonna be the best part of Shenmue 3 for me.

The combat looks absolutely insane. I love it.

Give me MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Rikitatsu Yeah, that was my same reaction seeing the trailer ("Oh, he looks more like the Gamescom footage and less like that recent screenshot").

Back