Magic Monaco Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes these journalists any better than YouTuber's or whatever? I just don't get the idea of them being irreplaceable.

Depends on how you see journalists. In theory journalists have experiences that the average youtuber has not. They might also have contacts to the industry that the average youtuber has not.

So a a skilled Journalist would see Things from a different Point of view than the average gaming youtuber who is just a fan. Personal bias is a Thing that effects every human being, journalists are no exception but maybe they can Keep their bias better in check than the average fanboy.

Another negative Point is, that YouTube does not stand for Quality. It stands for getting Attention.No one cares about Facts. You can get more clicks with a flashy title and talking BS for 10 minutes than with a more substantial documentation.

Youtube is great to give fans a voice, but it should never replace the old style journalism that covers games from a different Point of view.

Jim Sterling's shtick is trying to rattle a fanbase with a provocative video, then making a "look at THESE angry losers" followup when understandably some fans fall for the bait. He's done it before, he'll do it again. It's really disappointing for someone who doesn't actually rely on click revenue thanks to his Patreon to play with these shitty tactics, but I guess he got a taste for blood after that lawsuit saga with an asset-flipping game developer.

I dunno if games coverage necessarily used to be "better", though. Especially not when it comes to money. I can't speak for any other country, but the UK's games media used to be infamous for how easily bribed they were.

Rocksstar has a very strong fanbase in the casual gaming world, that's why RS can get away with many Things and Shenmue not.

For the fanboys the boring stuff you have to do in Redemption 2 it is ok although it has no Point, while Shenmue can't.

The weird stuff is, that boring stuff in Shemue has a Point, it helps to emulate a living world, while the stuff in Redemption 2 is just a a Thing that makes the game longer. But that's just my opinion.

Your kinda right. If U tell em truth about the game "tech" they're praising out the kaboozle is 20 yrs old and was already done by a Japanese guy in 1999 and was is more meaningful and "art-house." I'd be surprise if U don't find Urself in a scuffle.

Jim Sterling's shtick is trying to rattle a fanbase with a provocative video, then making a "look at THESE angry losers" followup when understandably some fans fall for the bait. He's done it before, he'll do it again. It's really disappointing for someone who doesn't actually rely on click revenue thanks to his Patreon to play with these shitty tactics, but I guess he got a taste for blood after that lawsuit saga with an asset-flipping game developer.

I dunno if games coverage necessarily used to be "better", though. Especially not when it comes to money. I can't speak for any other country, but the UK's games media used to be infamous for how easily bribed they were.
Jim Sterling is probably the worst ever, not just because of Shenmue either.

Another negative Point is, that YouTube does not stand for Quality. It stands for getting Attention.No one cares about Facts. You can get more clicks with a flashy title and talking BS for 10 minutes than with a more substantial documentation.

The problem with this is that it's at least equally true of games journalists, and perhaps even more so. Clickbait and controversial articles get more clicks, therefore more revenue for the site.

The problem with this is that it's at least equally true of games journalists, and perhaps even more so. Clickbait and controversial articles get more clicks, therefore more revenue for the site.

That's true and another reason why I prefer printmedia over the online Version. In print you only have one chance to things right, so you put all your effort into the article. Not like the online Version. Where you can post anything and can take it back anytime. That is a Problem in todays journalism in general.

I'm not saying games journalism is great as a whole, either; like any form of media coverage most of it is throw-away crap, but there are great sites out there doing great work, and to dismiss those writers/producers along with the rest of them is unfair.

I think it's less insidious than that. The mainstream games media aren't going to report on a pre-event show for a French con just because there was one screenshot of an improved Ryo. We should wait for the actual event to judge the press coverage and reaction.

I hope you're right. I'm not sure but I recall last year they did some pieces on MAGIC and it wasn't overly complimentary. But yes judge after the event indeed, though based on previous experience, I can't say I hold out too much hope for a fair and balanced view. If proven wrong I'll happily take it on the chin :)

Personally, i think the majority of game journalism is a load of crap.

Everything these days seems to be about who can publish the most dramatic story first, or how can we get more clicks/views.

Balanced and factual journalism should be the top priority. Not surface level research mixed with drama and a silly opinion.

I do like the Edge magazine in the UK. Its not perfect, but very well put together.

Are you guys still talking about the Magic Monaco conference or should I go elsewhere for that? First time dropping by the boards in awhile and I guess I just don't see the appeal of this whole 'ethics of video game journalism' discussion that's happening here.

Anyway, excited for the conference. Hope we get some sweet new info to tide us over until August!

Are you guys still talking about the Magic Monaco conference or should I go elsewhere for that? First time dropping by the boards in awhile and I guess I just don't see the appeal of this whole 'ethics of video game journalism' discussion that's happening here.

Anyway, excited for the conference. Hope we get some sweet new info to tide us over until August!
To be fair it's moved at a natural tangent but yes we are still talking about the conference and build to Monaco :)

Everything these days seems to be about who can publish the most dramatic story first, or how can we get more clicks/views.

Balanced and factual journalism should be the top priority. Not surface level research mixed with drama and a silly opinion.
Mutually exclusive, unfortunately. For hobbyists, the latter may very well be a top priority, but for a business, and a dying one at that? I believe ABBA have a song about that...

Tangential to our discussion on the progress revealed in the screenshots at the press conference--

It would seem that Bloodstained not only has Summer 2019 pegged for their release, but their latest trailer and update revealed a game much more improved than anything they have yet shown or demoed.

It goes to show us that it really is best to wait until the final months to show these types of games.

Considering Yu tends to focus on visuals last, I would wager we are in for quite a treat before it is all said and done.

Can’t speak for anyone else, but my faith in the artistry and vision for Shenmue III is growing with each update. It’s unique aesthetic is beginning to supersede my affinity of the originals, including the logo. Yu Suzuki-sama and the creative team have a prophetic gift that may be initially jarring at times, but upon timely reflection, encompasses masterful meaning. We should have a clearer view of their vision in 3 or so weeks, but it may take much longer to realize what we’re seeing.

68E47CA5-3AB7-4D89-80CC-F0A12D34CC6F.jpeg

You can't make happy all people, there will always be someone who complaint about something but you can bet Shenmue 3 is improving a lot everyday and at the end Suzuki won't let us down. Every image I see or thing I hear of Shenmue 3 please me more and more and I'm sure when we finally watch the new trailer at monaco we will realize what is S3 all about.

Can’t speak for anyone else, but my faith in the artistry and vision for Shenmue III is growing with each update. It’s unique aesthetic is beginning to supersede my affinity of the originals, including the logo. Yu Suzuki-sama and the creative team have a prophetic gift that may be initially jarring at times, but upon timely reflection, encompasses masterful meaning. We should have a clearer view of their vision in 3 or so weeks, but it may take much longer to realize what we’re seeing.
I still wish he would change the logo. I still don't like it. But it is what it is at this point.

I still wish he would change the logo. I still don't like it. But it is what it is at this point.

Yea, there’s a fondness towards the old logo, but I’m trying to understand Yu’s artistic vision behind the new one. I think he’s going for a more exotic aesthetic now to go along with Shenmue III’s more earthly atmosphere.

I don't have the cultural experience to articulate why, but to me the new logo looks more martial arts-y than the ornate caligraphy of old. The new logo wants to thrust its palm between your temples before drawing a longsword, whereas the original would sooner read you your tea leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back