Marketing Shenmue 3

It is ok that you are disagree with me. Would be super boring if all People had the same opinion. But I try to see it from a bigger Picture. Shenmue was the first game of it's kind back in 1999/2000. But these days all games try to be a bit Shenmue. What is the typical single Player game today? A Story driven semi open world game that tries to tell a dramatic Story. Just like Shenmue. And some of these games are more pretty by Shenmue. No Marketing in the world can hide that fact.

The only thing that could make Shenmue stand out, would be the martial arts factor. Other modern day gaming Heros also do Close combat, but they have just use brute strengh. If Ryo can dispatch his enemies in a more elgant way than other gaming Heros, this would make Shenmue stand out.

Or how about using the Adventure Elements? They als could make Shenmue 3 stand out.

But how you can promote this Things? Gamers these days only care about graphics, not gameplay. Graphics evoles gameplay not. And the typical graphical Junkie of 2019 would see the strengh of Shenmue if the graphics are not super realistic. Just take a look at the YouTube comments.

I wish Shenmue 3 the best in the world but it won't be easy. It is not that type of game to attract the General gaming public.

Sarcastic reply: Arrange it so that if you want to go to that Ed Sheeran or whoever is popular in music nowadays gig, then you can only do so when you buy a copy of Shenmue III. Also, create an algorithm that changes every twitter hashtag to #ShenmueIII from now until August. Also, underground clubs where people cosplay as Shenmue characters and do Tornado Kicks to some thumping bass, yo.

Real reply: Have an advert for art house cinemas. Lots of AAA games are advertised before your blockbuster films, but Shenmue fits in a sort of art house vibe, so perhaps showing it as your Curzon and your Picturehouse cinemas (UK folk will get this) might make sense and may fit with the demographic.

Do press adverts using that gorgeous pink background at the end of the MAGIC trailer. Too many games have such generic brown or muted artwork; it would actually make the gentle pink stand out even more.

Certainly have the Sony Youtube page show some footage; they should really be doing their end of the bargain right now.

I also think getting Digital Foundry involved would help. John is a passionate fan, but he also knows what he's talking about.

Real reply: Have an advert for art house cinemas. Lots of AAA games are advertised before your blockbuster films, but Shenmue fits in a sort of art house vibe, so perhaps showing it as your Curzon and your Picturehouse cinemas (UK folk will get this) might make sense and may fit with the demographic.

Do press adverts using that gorgeous pink background at the end of the MAGIC trailer. Too many games have such generic brown or muted artwork; it would actually make the gentle pink stand out even more.

Certainly have the Sony Youtube page show some footage; they should really be doing their end of the bargain right now.

I also think getting Digital Foundry involved would help. John is a passionate fan, but he also knows what he's talking about.

I'll secure the Siskel Film Center, Music Box Theatre and Facets Cinemateque in Chicago...!

Who will handle NYC/Toronto/Austin/LA???

I don't know if it could be worth the effort.
But, I would be interested to see all the old trailers recut/rebuilt with the final game.
(It may be possible if they can run the game from any point and state.)

But, I would gladly watch a trailer, not scripted to be a trailer,
and instead, a creative video, made from funny/epic recordings of quality check sessions.

I always thought they could market the game in public restrooms id remember if i saw a game ad while i brush my hair. A lot of restrooms have really nice fragrance spray machines reminds me of flowers like in Shenmue 2 when you walk with Shenhua.

A free public Shenmue III demo or trial version promoted on all major platforms, could be huge. I know the Shenmue II demo from XBM got me back into the saga. Anyone know why a Shenmue I & II demo isn't available for the public yet?

Also, what if Shenmue III was a launch title for Google Stadia? Wouldn't it be easy to host the PC version on this new PC platform? Could be huge opportunity to attract a new audience...

Back