Mods I'd like to see for Shenmue 1&2 HD (Mod Requests)

S-O

Considering the release of the remaster for PC, I'd want to see modding for the two games advance to the point that stuff like this is made possible:

Easy Stuff:
  • Redoing/cleaning up the [localized] English [subtitle] script to remove poor translations and awkward, directly/literal-translated lines (Lan Di being referred to with the Japanese honorific "-sama"... despite him and his co-horts being Chinese; all this, etc.)
  • Maybe a sort of mod to alter/remove all the meta/uncanny Shenhua/Shenmue-themed products/objects in S1 (being replaced with equally "generic" replacements - like the [localized] Jet Cola or the Madin Milk)... they kinda take away from the immersion quite a bit. (I'd also ask for a separate mod that'd take away all the anachronistic objects in what's supposed to be a late 1980s setting (all the Sega Saturn stuff, gashapons featuring SEGA characters from the 90s (Sonic, Virtua Fighter, et al.), etc.), but I think that might be pushing it.)
Intermediate Stuff:
  • A mod that replaces certain character models with their high-poly & high-res texture Shenmue Passport models (as discussed already a bit here and here).
  • A port of this S2 "decensoring" patch for Shenmue 2 HD - albeit with the added option of choosing which censored parts you'd want to keep (I'd... rather have "Haoyi Ping", personally.)
  • A complete English fan redub of Shenmue 1 & 2, utilizing the aforementioned potential "re-translation"/"re-localization" of the game's scripts as the basis, as well as better-suited voices for most characters and proper voice direction for certain lines. (This probably falls a bit more into "advance", simply because this would be a herculean undertaking, considering all of Ryo's and NPCs' dialogue alone that would need to be accounted for.)
Advanced Stuff:
  • Implementing/backporting Shenmue II's time skip option/feature into Shenmue 1. (This might require heavily reverse engineering/researching the code for both the Dreamcast version of 1 & 2 (and the Dreamcast versions only), since the port of S2 in the HD version is based upon the OG Xbox version of the game, and thus might be different code wise due to the inherent differences between the DC and Xbox architecture, despite having more or less the same engine.)
  • Implementing/backporting S2's weather/skybox and cloud improvements into S1 (see above bullet point for potential difficulties).
  • Maybe some sort of extensive "modern mode" mod where the controls and camera feel a lot more like a modern game (much more than the current "modern control" setup in S1&2HD already available, anyway) - the battle segments & QTEs aside - and the implementation of a more extensive map and mini-map for both S1 and 2 which you can access anytime (though you'd still have to find clues and ways to your destination, and perahps buildings would only be properly named and added into the map once you see and/or visited them).
  • Adjusting the added bloom effect for S1 & 2 HD to only effect certain/specific objects/places/people within each area/room, scene and time (the bloom effect's way too heavy during the daytime in my opinion, and the Tomato Mart sign shouldn't have any bloom at all during broad daylight - only at night, etc.). Given how retrofitted bloom effects work, though, this might be nigh impossible to do.
  • Perhaps an extensive "fan remastering/improving" of S1 and 2's graphics within the limitations of the engine; not just with textures, but also with 3D geometry (to remove "stretched" texture wrapping, add additional geometry to replace certain flat textures, and add transparent fading in geometry to add better, manual transitions from one texture type to the next, etc.), character models (remodeling them all with higher polys & textures) and certain graphical effects (water, etc.), but keeping them all as faithful as possible to the original - something similar to what this two-man group is doing with Capcom's Resident Evil 4.
  • A port of specific Shenmue Passport features - specifically, the Information demos and the Profiles section of the online-only Shenmue World menu.
  • This is probably just me, but: I'd like to see someone pull off a specific model mod for Lan Di - replacing his hair entirely with the "wild hair" from his early concept art that was eventually scrapped due to programming issues.

What other kind of mods would any of you like to see?

Last edited:
I'm sure we'll eventually get every kind of bizarre mod in the future.

I would be happy with restoring the original font in Ryo's journal and the black loading screens, also the Passport model swap would be great but i know it wouldn't be easy to accomplish.

Last edited:
I'm sure a complete texture overhaul and character swapping will be possible since .tac files can be rebuilt

On Modding Ryo's body, his body mesh is still comprised of multiple overlapping body parts so swapping him for a fully skinned character wont be possible (but swapping him with another charater will be possible)

Last edited:
-Various bug fixes and performance enhancements, not worth listing them all.
-"Classic UI" features such as HD versions of the original font in the notebook and subtitles. Dreamcast buttons for QTEs and in the corner. Loading screens lasting 5 seconds or so for the sake of impact, as well as the original loading screens in HD. Original moves training menu and other such UI features to make it look more like the original.
-Various updated textures. Nothing crazy, but fixing up some of the real muddy stuff would be cool.
-Passport Disk complete with online features
-Co-op 70 man battle

1535156656869.jpeg
I took a look at the Japanse Dreamcast Game 'Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1'
Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1 is a compilation of five classic arcade games designed by Yu Suzuki: After Burner, Hang-On, OutRun, Power Drift, and Space Harrier. It was packaged with the historical book of the same name. A volume 2 was never released.
This disc was released after Shenmue and contains Identical copys of the shenmue folders for HangOn, Harrier, After Burner & Outrun, which means it MIGHT be possible to swap one of these with Power Drift or it might be that they just never got it to work for Shenmue and created a seperate emulation for 'Works Vol1' I tried copying the power drift files into the HangOn folder which didnt work and each game doesnt have the same emulation structure, If it cant work in Shenmue It would be nice if this showed up in Shenmue 3 (fyi: it's a game that Yu has the entire rights to unlike Virtua Fighter)

- More longer or just more sparring session with Fuko-San to pratice throws.
- More delivery routes in fork lift work. So you could potenital do it for a little longer, or just change up the morning race.
- Expand some areas while keeping the original. Like the no-go zones past the bus stop or in the harbour.
- Expand the arcade, add more machines of Yu's works and the various versions of hang-on.
- Add a toy capsule machine for the passport items.
- More lifes for Space Harrier or at least a option to change the arcade board settings.
- Fix the subtiles to reflect what they say when playing in Japanese.
- Add a What's Shenmue mode.

Last edited:
Im not usually fan of hd texture mods as usually the new textures do not mesh well with the style of the game but i am curious on upscaling them using super resolution technology. As seen in letsenhance.io

-I hate when people are called Kid in video game, it urks me. Is it possible to mod the model so he looks his age.

-Is there a way to get the camera to be fully rotatable around the character, as since in modern games.

-Has anyone tried to fix the English Voice Overs, as the quality is sub-par.

- A new game plus mode where you can restart a clear save but carry over all the training/capsules/money you collected.
- Auto move trainer, so you can set a move in training and let the game repeat it for you.
- Subtitles for the lanuages unfortanute enough not to get it translated.

I'd like somebody to mod the original buttons back into Excite QTE. I hate that joystick graphic. I'd rather have wrong color buttons than that stupid Joystick with an arrow.

</minorgripeaboutthegame>

- More longer or just more sparring session with Fuko-San to pratice throws.
- More delivery routes in fork lift work. So you could potenital do it for a little longer, or just change up the morning race.
. It would be great if you could just spawn some thugs in the parking lot beside the arcade, and spar there too.
a reverse forklift race for starters would be cool.

Another mod request I'm gonna make:

Even though this is very obviously a bug in Shenmue 1&2 HD, a first person mode like this would be pretty cool. Whether through an official patch or a mod, a feature to not only switch between the original third-person view to a first-person one, but also give you a UI signal when you are in "walking/exploring" mode to "viewing/interacting" whilst in the entirely first-person "mode" (since the latter "viewing/interacting" mode is the only mode in the original game that uses a first-person view), would probably help the game be even "more" immersive... given that you make a few changes as well (such as being able to look up and down).

Another mod request I'm gonna make:

Even though this is very obviously a bug in Shenmue 1&2 HD, a first person mode like this would be pretty cool. Whether through an official patch or a mod, a feature to not only switch between the original third-person view to a first-person one, but also give you a UI signal when you are in "walking/exploring" mode to "viewing/interacting" whilst in the entirely first-person "mode" (since the latter "viewing/interacting" mode is the only mode in the original game that uses a first-person view), would probably help the game be even "more" immersive... given that you make a few changes as well (such as being able to look up and down).
If they can add a function to switch views like in the recent Yakuza games with like a R3 press or hotkey.
Then to take the immersion to the next level a VR mode. But I think for something like that the textures might also need to be a lot better.

I'd love if a save editor/mod would allow you to get the two move scrolls from the Lucky Hit stand in Kowloon - I can't be bothered to get them on every playthrough but it'd be nice to have them.

I'd love if a save editor/mod would allow you to get the two move scrolls from the Lucky Hit stand in Kowloon - I can't be bothered to get them on every playthrough but it'd be nice to have them.
Yeah I can agree with this. I've never gotten either of those scrolls before, and believe me I've tried...

Back