My Shenmue 3 impressions (5 hours in)

So far I've missed 100% of the Qte I had to do on the first try. I guess it's something they'll fix soon enough.

Other than that the new "Freeze Qte" are fine (Sparring etc...)

Fishing brings a lot of money (150+) otherwise gambling is good too (if you're good at button mashing, try the turtles), buy some capsule toys, full sets sells for 300, but the rarests pieces of the sets are... well... very rare.

Thanks.

Yeah. I've been after one certain capsule toy to finish a set off that would bring in a decent amount but I haven't seen it once with lots of save scumming.

Managed to get 22 thousand tokens from the gambling games so far.

So far I've missed 100% of the Qte I had to do on the first try. I guess it's something they'll fix soon enough.

Yes I think a second or more window would make it much more palatable. I mean I can get up to super expert in Excite QTE 3 there’s no reason I should be failing so regularly. It does make catching
chicken and later ducks
in the time window a much more tense affair.

I have to say in terms of currency I’ve survived in part because of herb collection selling and any move scrolls outside first two at Tao Store I’ve gotten by pawn shop exchange. Even while working in mornings on hard difficulty I would be lucky to have anywhere between 1-3 thousand dollars maximum, which would only get you one of the more expensive move scrolls.

I haven’t found a reliable game to bet on to score lots of tokens, perhaps Rose Garden is the answer.

I’m done for today. Couple of quick thoughts while they are fresh in my mind.

- I love how in Niaowu depending on which area of the map you are they have it’s own unique 7pm night cutscene. I was disappointed in Bailu it only showed same cutscene of village square even though you could be in a completely different area

- It is fun bumping into
Shenhua and Ren
in the city. I could swear the later actually nods and salutes you when you walk by him. Need to see again to confirm

- I actually realize you can fail side quests, I goofed side quest where
you aren’t meant to by 4 items cheaply for girl. I actually compared prices on every item but clearly didn’t get the cheapest resulting in failure of task.
In addition if you go back to character and press square button before you complete tasks, game assumes you’ve given up on quest and leads to failure. D’oh

- I’ve had two large chase QTE
chase sequences
. Slightly disappointing one error instantly leads to failure state, especially as prior games let you make multiple errors but still recover. Now depending on length of sequence it won’t necessarily restart the whole sequence and it will restart part way through.

Phew enough Shenmue 3 for today.

Sigh, so, so far the QTE sequences aren't the complex/multipath masterpieces like the ones found in Shenmue 2? That is a shame.

Sigh, so, so far the QTE sequences aren't the complex/multipath masterpieces like the ones found in Shenmue 2? That is a shame.
I remember reading somewhere that during the chase sequence we saw at Gamescom (I think?), if you miss the prompt to catch the little girl after the ladder gets knocked out from under her, she'll land in a gymnast T-pose on her own. So QTE multipath/failure-state is still in to some extent, I guess it just depends on the segment.

I remember reading somewhere that during the chase sequence we saw at Gamescom (I think?), if you miss the prompt to catch the little girl after the ladder gets knocked out from under her, she'll land in a gymnast T-pose on her own. So QTE multipath/failure-state is still in to some extent, I guess it just depends on the segment.

Oh ok :)

I can’t comment on failing that exact button prompt but the three proceeding QTE’s at start lead to immediate failure if you didn’t get it right. Had similar experience with another chase QTE. Those expecting multipath QTE’s at least from what I saw could be disappointed,

I can’t comment on failing that exact button prompt but the three proceeding QTE’s at start lead to immediate failure if you didn’t get it right. Had similar experience with another chase QTE. Those expecting multipath QTE’s at least from what I saw could be disappointed,

Ok sigh, wont get my hopes up for that then.

How are the side quests handled? Don't give me exact specifics, but are they complex+organic like the Duck racing, and Fangmei's birthday in Shenmue 2 or are they fairly generic like in modern open world games?

How are the side quests handled? Don't give me exact specifics, but are they complex+organic like the Duck racing, and Fangmei's birthday in Shenmue 2 or are they fairly generic like in modern open world games?

They are organic in that they will naturally occur as you are exploring or bumping into characters, you will be alerted via icon and alert noise you can engage in a side quest. There is a separate section in Notebook for this.

To date I think I’ve completed 4 or 5 and actually failed a couple! To date nothing remotely detailed as Fangmei birthday but they often involve multiple steps but pretty standard if you are familiar with open world games (fetch this item, locate this person ect). What makes it unique is there is no mini map or way point indicators in addition some side quests you are given very little information so you really have to pay attention to environment.

They are organic in that they will naturally occur as you are exploring or bumping into characters, you will be alerted via icon and alert noise you can engage in a side quest. There is a separate section in Notebook for this.

To date I think I’ve completed 4 or 5 and actually failed a couple! To date nothing remotely detailed as Fangmei birthday but they often involve multiple steps but pretty standard if you are familiar with open world games (fetch this item, locate this person ect). What makes it unique is there is no mini map or way point indicators in addition some side quests you are given very little information so you really have to pay attention to environment.

Sounds like Shenmue...I like what I'm hearing. 16 hours to go for me :)

"I see"

I guess it could be worse(shame it notifies you It's a quest, and even logs it in the journal), atleast it doesn't hold your hand though, so that's very good, but I really hope there are some more complex ones.

oh no

Edit: just read one line past the "don't read past this" line from your post in the the other thread (should've known better) and oh boy am I bummed out by the implication. I didn't even read what you said beyond that, but I know where it was going. :(
What does this mean without spoiling?

What does this mean without spoiling?
This technically isn't a story spoiler, but I still consider this to be a pretty big spoiler all the same, so click at your own risk.

He said he just beat the game in the other thread. Now look at the time between his last two posts in this thread and think about what that implies about the length of the castle area

On one hand I'm pretty upset, but on the other I'm kind of glad I know about this before playing the game myself, so I know how to help keep my expectations in check.

This technically isn't a story spoiler, but I still consider this to be a pretty big spoiler all the same, so click at your own risk.

He said he just beat the game in the other thread. Now look at the time between his last two posts in this thread and think about what that implies about the length of the castle area

On one hand I'm pretty upset, but on the other I'm kind of glad I know about this before playing the game myself, so I know how to help keep my expectations in check.
TBH this is what I expected so this doesn't really bother me

Back