My Shenmue 3 impressions (5 hours in)

Anyone noticed how the reuse of using the old music sometimes works perfectly but other times just feel like fan fiction.

Yes there’s a lot of reused music, more than I expected. I’ve said this before but sometimes it’s hard for me to disassociate memory or character with piece I’ve heard for 18 years. I think an egregious example was use of Fangmei’s theme for a store in Niaowu. Other times it’s perfectly suitable. It’s just one of those concessions you have to expect with a game like this.

I will never get used to the drone camera, It fells like I'm a tall person walking along side Ryo. Bring back the original Shenmue camera.

You can buy a pair of shoes with 'S4' on the side of them, but what's the point when you can't see his feet due to the drone camera.
Yeah, I'm with you. But I think they did that because of the herb hunting mechanic.

In Shenmue 1 you had to be able to read the names in front of the stores and such. So, you often had to look upwards. I prefer it as well, but it wouldn't work for the propostition of this particular game.

I wasnt sure if this was a spolierific "random Shenmue 3 thought" or not so I'm just gonna say it here (since it was better as a suprise for me)

The Guestbook in Ryo's room is really touching stuff, I read the whole damn thing in one go. I wasnt on this tier but beautiful guys, beautiful!

Yeah, I'm with you. But I think they did that because of the herb hunting mechanic.
Easy fix, remove the herb hunting mechanic. :LOL:

In Shenmue 1 you had to be able to read the names in front of the stores and such. So, you often had to look upwards. I prefer it as well, but it wouldn't work for the propostition of this particular game.
To me it just doesn't feel like Shenmue this way.

General question

Are side side quests available all the time? Or are they missable?

Just played about 4 hours. I absolutely love it. Noticed some inconsistencies in dialogue (like where Ryo 'learns' a fact from someone which he has learnt earlier already) and various plot holes (Ryo saying to Shenhua there are no street lights in the village when there are, or not recognising Juan (sp?) in the photo with Xu, despite seeing a picture of Juan at Shenhua's house) but given the impressively large scope when it comes to dialogue and the fact this is, let's not forget, a kickstarter a game, I forgive stuff like this pretty easily.

The game is amazing, beautiful and feels exactly like a Shenmue game. The only sad part is knowing it will end, so I'm taking my sweet time exploring and talking to everybody. I hope to god we get Shenmue IV, it would be a travesty not to. I have faith that we will however, and I expect III will bring in new fans to the series. :)

I will never get used to the drone camera, It fells like I'm a tall person walking along side Ryo. Bring back the original Shenmue camera.

You can buy a pair of shoes with 'S4' on the side of them, but what's the point when you can't see his feet due to the drone camera.
Oh but in the house after you walk off that mat where the fire is, you see the shoes very well.

General question

Are side side quests available all the time? Or are they missable?
I did one side quest by now. You want to look out for the yellow light bulb when near NPCs. It's on your square button, or B button on Xbox controllers. Just look out for it, and click it when you see it.

Noticed some inconsistencies in dialogue (like where Ryo 'learns' a fact from someone which he has learnt earlier already) and various plot holes (Ryo saying to Shenhua there are no street lights in the village when there are, or not recognising Juan (sp?) in the photo with Xu, despite seeing a picture of Juan at Shenhua's house) but given the impressively large scope when it comes to dialogue and the fact this is, let's not forget, a kickstarter a game, I forgive stuff like this pretty easily.
Not sure about shenmue 2 but it was already in shenmue 1, if you don't go though the story bit that change it, the same dialogue will repeat with some characters, like goro when asked about the mad angel.

Just played about 4 hours. I absolutely love it. Noticed some inconsistencies in dialogue (like where Ryo 'learns' a fact from someone which he has learnt earlier already) and various plot holes (Ryo saying to Shenhua there are no street lights in the village when there are, or not recognising Juan (sp?) in the photo with Xu, despite seeing a picture of Juan at Shenhua's house) but given the impressively large scope when it comes to dialogue and the fact this is, let's not forget, a kickstarter a game, I forgive stuff like this pretty easily.

The game is amazing, beautiful and feels exactly like a Shenmue game. The only sad part is knowing it will end, so I'm taking my sweet time exploring and talking to everybody. I hope to god we get Shenmue IV, it would be a travesty not to. I have faith that we will however, and I expect III will bring in new fans to the series. :)
Pretty sure he means there are no street lights around Shenhua's house, not the village in general? Maybe I misread the subtitles, but at the time it seemed to make sense to me.

Pretty sure he means there are no street lights around Shenhua's house, not the village in general? Maybe I misread the subtitles, but at the time it seemed to make sense to me.
Shenhua has a generator outside her house. I haven't checked for lights but to me streetlights is plural and suggests a street not a track outside or around her house.

There is nothing wrong with this. It is following what was stated in Shenmue 2. It has gone from Shenhua suggesting Bailu is a village with no martial artists, no electricity or influence from the outside world to a small settlement with electricity, westernized clothing and gambling and decades old martial artists with a martial arts hall!

They retconned it but it was a sensible decision as otherwise Ryo wouldn't have much to do. It was also a good decision to remove the floating sword.

Oh but in the house after you walk off that mat where the fire is, you see the shoes very well.
That shot is how I found out that he had 'S3' on his shoes in the first place. If you buy a new pair of shoes you don't want to go all the way back to the house just to see them.

I'm about 10 or so hours in (got my copy on Monday). Still in Bailu Village.

I absolutely adore the game and can't get enough of it! This is the first time in quite a while a game has made me impatiently count down the hours at work, or wake up at 5am just to squeeze in an extra 1-2 hours. I think the only games that have made me do that were Shenmue 1 & 2, Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect.

Just felt like popping in to give my impressions, but I'll be going dark once again until I've finished.

6+ hours in myself and it is beyond awesome; I had SUCH an enjoyable time and wasting time to satisfy the trophies is fun as well; wood chopping is seriously not as productive as gambling or anything, but I find myself constantly chopping wood, as I LOVE it. Though, the best I've done is 126 and that was on my *2nd* time chopping wood lol :(

Also tried to go back to the machine and get the white lure so I can have a complete collection; spent 150 yuan and couldn't get it (saved and reloaded, will try again today). For the kid, it took me about 150 yuan as well, maybe more.

Turtle racing is awesome and I only lost one when my arm cramped up lol, otherwise, I have won all of the 7 races I've done. Also got the second pail on pail toss, on my third throw. Haven't tried it since.

I ran the gauntlet, only healing once for fighting, as playing on easy is... stupidly easily lol.

Can't wait to get home, take out the garbage (and recycling), box for 15 minutes, then get back to work on the game! :D

EDIT* Forgot to mention; LOVED doing
Xu's house search
. While on a VERY small scale, it was a retread of the Dojo basement and 5 Stars Corp. AWESOME! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes there’s a lot of reused music, more than I expected. I’ve said this before but sometimes it’s hard for me to disassociate memory or character with piece I’ve heard for 18 years. I think an egregious example was use of Fangmei’s theme for a store in Niaowu. Other times it’s perfectly suitable. It’s just one of those concessions you have to expect with a game like this.

That's true and it makes it more exciting and refreshing to hear something new. It works more with cutscenes but other times not so much, feels kinda lazy but I guess you can except that with Shenmue 3 as this really is like a continuation rather then a different sequel. The fact that Shenmue 3 blends things with a lot new and some old truly makes it feel like the sequel though.

Back