New Shenmue III Website (Japanese) [NEW VIDEO INTERVIEW]

Prolly the Vet experience back in Sega when he delivered with a staff of 200 and S1&2 becoming game of the decade played a good reference.

Yea naturally, hell he turned out 2 Shenmue games on the DC in like no time(sure he had a road map laid out due to the Saturn, but no assets from the Saturn were actually usable, everything still needed to be created from scratch), but even so, It's insanely impressive.

Yea naturally, hell he turned out 2 Shenmue games on the DC in like no time(sure he had a road map laid out due to the Saturn, but no assets from the Saturn were actually usable, everything still needed to be created from scratch), but even so, It's insanely impressive.

Even more impressive is the fact that he had 2 Shenmue games near ready to go on the Saturn. Speaking of, I hope one day we get more footage of that and VF3 on the Saturn. All things considering, he had that game looking good.

Even more impressive is the fact that he had 2 Shenmue games near ready to go on the Saturn. Speaking of, I hope one day we get more footage of that and VF3 on the Saturn. All things considering, he had that game looking good.

The debate rages on whether VF3 on Saturn existed or not. I'd be curious to see footage from it if it did exist.

But yeah, Shenmue Saturn was remarkable to see back in the day. To see how much of that game existed on a Saturn was pretty incredible. Makes me wonder what that game even was on Saturn? Was it as big as what it turned out to be on Dreamcast? Did it still have the concepts of FREE? I can't imagine they were letting you pick up every item in the game on the Saturn (that would have been a rendering nightmare for Saturn)

So yeah, it does make me wonder that game was on Saturn hardware before they moved it to the DC.

The debate rages on whether VF3 on Saturn existed or not. I'd be curious to see footage from it if it did exist.

But yeah, Shenmue Saturn was remarkable to see back in the day. To see how much of that game existed on a Saturn was pretty incredible. Makes me wonder what that game even was on Saturn? Was it as big as what it turned out to be on Dreamcast? Did it still have the concepts of FREE? I can't imagine they were letting you pick up every item in the game on the Saturn (that would have been a rendering nightmare for Saturn)

So yeah, it does make me wonder that game was on Saturn hardware before they moved it to the DC.

Virtua Fighter 3 definitely existed on the Saturn. I know it's a sore spot for Yu Suzuki as he doesn't like talking about it when asked, he usually brushes it off. But here's some screenshots of the alleged saturn version

3vy9.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

6gs0.jpg

5ci8.jpg
1mn7.jpg

Virtua Fighter 3 definitely existed on the Saturn. I know it's a sore spot for Yu Suzuki as he doesn't like talking about it when asked, he usually brushes it off. But here's some screenshots of the alleged saturn version

3vy9.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

6gs0.jpg

5ci8.jpg
1mn7.jpg

Not Saturn version...been proven elsewhere to be early Beta Screens of a Model 3 Emulator.

Not Saturn version...been proven elsewhere to be early Beta Screens of a Model 3 Emulator.

I need to do some research on this. Because the version that came out even in the arcade looked way better than that. In my head if I imagine what a "stripped" down version of VF3 would look like on the Saturn, it would look something like that. To me it looks similar to Shenmue and that music game that used the Shenmue Saturn engine that got released in Japan.

Virtua Fighter 3 was 100% definitely in development for Saturn and was actually complete before SEGA cancelled it. But outside of some behind the scenes showings at trade shows in 1998, it's never been seen. All screens that claim to be from the Saturn version are fake. This is an excellent write up on what happened - https://assemblergames.com/threads/virtua-fighter-4-dreamcast-any-info.15427/page-3#post-232648

Interesting

Though one thing sticks out to me

Through hard work, I managed to find out that at least three staff from the UK official Sega Saturn Magazine - including the editor, his deputy and Japanese correspondent - have all seen and possibly played Saturn VF3, but once again they are all bound by gagging orders.

Richard Leadbetter was an editor of the UK Sega Saturn Magazine (one of the two editors listed: the other being Samantha Robinson.) Richard Leadbetter now works for Eurogamer on the Digital Foundry team.

What's interesting about the above quote is that in this video below, Leadbetter says he never actually saw VF3 Saturn and went on a hunt to find the truth...to which he claims that a trusted source in Sega claims it didn't exist on any sort of release schedule.

To be fair though, just because it didn't show up on a release schedule doesn't mean it didn't exist (of course)...but I found the above quote interesting considering Leadbetter debunks it himself. But then again, Leadbetter's memory ain't the sharpest. In the same video, it's mentioned that he forgot that he met the former president of SEGA back in the day.

With all of that said, considering Fighters Megamix featured moves that were introduced in VF3, I'm still of the belief that work was probably carried out on a port of VF3 for Saturn.

I would kill to see footage from it. Just because I would love to see what VF3 on Saturn even looked like. If they could pull off Shenmue on Saturn then imagine what they could have done with VF3 on Saturn?

Especially when you consider the miracle port that is VF2 on Saturn.

I would kill to see footage from it. Just because I would love to see what VF3 on Saturn even looked like. If they could pull off Shenmue on Saturn then imagine what they could have done with VF3 on Saturn?

Especially when you consider the miracle port that is VF2 on Saturn.
Between the VF2 and Virtua Cop 2 ports, Fighters Megamix, Shenmue, and... this

AM2 really did some amazing shit on the Saturn.

Last edited:
I loved SSM back in the day. I bought Exhumed (Powerslave) on the strength of their 94% review and they were right, it's an absolutely awesome game. They kept the enthusiasm up right until the end, even when the Playstation started to utterly trounce the Saturn and games were disappearing out of the schedules at a frightening pace. They introduced a lot of us to the wonder of 60hz modding, though I was too young at the time to do anything about mine.

Pretty awesome an official magazine would tell you to mod your Saturn and enjoy the wealth of Japanese imports at full screen 60hz, but then again, Sega were always cool like that.

I loved SSM back in the day. I bought Exhumed (Powerslave) on the strength of their 94% review and they were right, it's an absolutely awesome game. They kept the enthusiasm up right until the end, even when the Playstation started to utterly trounce the Saturn and games were disappearing out of the schedules at a frightening pace. They introduced a lot of us to the wonder of 60hz modding, though I was too young at the time to do anything about mine.

Pretty awesome an official magazine would tell you to mod your Saturn and enjoy the wealth of Japanese imports at full screen 60hz, but then again, Sega were always cool like that.

I have most of them downloaded on PDF...fantastic reads. You can see the beginnings of Digital Foundry in Leadbetter's early writing.

As I’m a purist thus I don’t particularly care for all the alternative costumes, but can appreciate the options available. I think the hidden Chobu-Chans will give players lots of replayability scanning all the environments and locations (here’s hoping for first person perspective without HUD elements).

Final note, and we saw this in demo but the animations when a Ryo is opening drawers or inspecting elements are silky smooth. I was surprised by variety of animations seen.

They will be optional. The crosshairs and red circles were disabled during the Magic Kyoto's demo.
Can you link a timestamp in the Magic IGN YouTube video? Because I watched it and I saw that they had both on?

Edit: Just rewatched it and they are 100% both still on in the whole Magic Kyoto video.

Last edited:
Well, we're in for a treat with the minigames and jobs :)
It sure looks nice. Damn, only a few more days to go.

Back