New Yu Suzuki interviews from G-Fusion Tour in China

Totally! I've posted this pic a few times but it really does show just how close it is:

uzlpai1ykth11.jpg
And this is from 18 months ago and probably old even then.

Exactly! I'm pretty confident that we have nothing to worry about.

I know this description of "shiny" skin textures has been discussed and it has been a bit annoying to me just due to it being a rather vague term. But setting that aside, I would just like to bring up the point that it is contextually appropriate, since people in hot, humid climates do have a sheen on their skin, even before outright perspiring with drips of sweat. In any case, the above image of Ryo clearly demonstrates that there is specific attention being paid to his specularity as can be seen with his nose being more shiny than his cheek, for example.

I know this description of "shiny" skin textures has been discussed and it has been a bit annoying to me just due to it being a rather vague term. But setting that aside, I would just like to bring up the point that it is contextually appropriate, since people in hot, humid climates do have a sheen on their skin, even before outright perspiring with drips of sweat. In any case, the above image of Ryo clearly demonstrates that there is specific attention being paid to his specularity as can be seen with his nose being more shiny than his cheek, for example.
I mean it's sort of irrelevant now.

Skin shaders and the general complexity of the character lighting changed from the 2017 to the 2018 build. A slight sheen to show the humidity of the environment does make sense, but in any case it was all WIP material. It might make a return as a more subtle detail, but who knows.

In the end I expect skin will look more or less as it does here:

ss_46734335d37ac179589wchn.jpg

Detail is being lost because of image compression, but there's some skin pigmentation that shows up in the midtones and shadows. I don't particularly understand the people who want to see every pore and wrinkle on stylised characters who are meant to be literal teenagers.

That boxing screenshot really is one incredible shot of the game - and the perfect one they needed to use for the Steam page which as I recall was where it initially showed up. The graphics and detail is just outstanding - exactly how you'd expect a modern Shenmue game to look. And then we have our only gameplay screenshot which is also fantastic and was very well-received. Honestly MAGIC can't come soon enough. So looking forward to seeing an updated build of the game.

Wonderful that there's still so much love on the Dojo as we all await what will hopefully be a great game.

A few Yu Suzuki's statements/comments that might give us some indication about the nature of Shenmue III gameplay in relation to its open world structure.

- Shenmue III is a "multiple weeks" game (thank you @Spaghetti for the translation!).

- "I believe that the balance between the user cycle and the economy will be another new point of attraction for open worlds.
I want to deliver the leisurely-paced world of Shenmue to everyone soon." (http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/12/end-of-year-interview-with-yu-suzuki.html)

- "Fishing is one of the part-time jobs. So you can make money, starting from having none. There isn’t the ability to release the fish you’ve caught, at the moment. But you can sell the fish you’ve caught based on its weight for money within the game. Once you have some money, you can make more at an amusement spot. Then you can buy things like items and skill books – you can purchase skills, you see. So in that way, the effects carry through to various parts of the game." (http://shenmue500k.net/interview-with-yu-suzuki-magic-monaco-2018/#more-232)

- "New mini-games and activities such as pinball, fishing, punching ball, whack-a-mole, wood chopping, etc... will make their appearence in Shenmue 3. They’ll be more integrated and have more connection with other elements within the world." (Gamescom 2017)

- "There’s going to be a running economy within the Shenmue world" (Gamescom 2017)

Those various information make me think that Ryo may need to settle in Guilin's region.

Compared to the relative "going through" pace of Wan Chai, Kowloon and the cave's road, I can imagine that for the third installment, Ryo will need to litteraly live in Bailu village as a villager. Learn from them, help them with simple tasks, go with them to Choubu's market to sell and buy goods, etc...

Maybe one way to get to Lan Di and the Chi You Men will be to become important on an economic scale. After all, what does matter the most to the various mafias if not money and power?

I would love the idea that Ryo won't necessary stay in point A (Bailu) until a certain point in the story is reached before going to point B (Choubu) and finally travel to point C (Baisha) for the end game. I would love the story and the world of Shenmue III to allow you as Ryo, Shenhua or Ren, to go forth and back to and from those three locations. Not necessarily because of the storyline but also because requested by "mundane" activities.

Many statements have enlightened us about how Shenmue 3 may look but if I had to stick with the most indicative of them, that would be when Yu said he was proud of the originality of his game (although his feeling sounds a bit odd since he said he plays very few games...)

Last edited:
Could be based on feedback from other staff, and those orbiting the project like Ryan Payton, Cedric, etc.

Sounds like Yu Suzuki-sama and the creative team are aspiring for more than a masterpiece. Shenmue III may not just be a GOTY or GOTD, but a GOTC...evolving the interactive arts into another era.

I mean it's sort of irrelevant now.

Skin shaders and the general complexity of the character lighting changed from the 2017 to the 2018 build. A slight sheen to show the humidity of the environment does make sense, but in any case it was all WIP material. It might make a return as a more subtle detail, but who knows.

In the end I expect skin will look more or less as it does here:

ss_46734335d37ac179589wchn.jpg

Detail is being lost because of image compression, but there's some skin pigmentation that shows up in the midtones and shadows. I don't particularly understand the people who want to see every pore and wrinkle on stylised characters who are meant to be literal teenagers.

Compression or not, man that image looks amazing there's so much detail! The crinkles on his jacket, the cracks on the arcade machine, the tearing with the padding falling out of the punching bag. You combine this with the sexy environments we've seen and you've got a winner! I can't wait to play this game!

Compression or not, man that image looks amazing there's so much detail! The crinkles on his jacket, the cracks on the arcade machine, the tearing with the padding falling out of the punching bag. You combine this with the sexy environments we've seen and you've got a winner! I can't wait to play this game!
I love the wall as well, makes it feel like it's in some converted shed somewhere - really brings the setting home.

Sounds like Yu Suzuki-sama and the creative team are aspiring for more than a masterpiece. Shenmue III may not just be a GOTY or GOTD, but a GOTC...evolving the interactive arts into another era.
You sure seem optimistic! I'm also optimistic! But it's allways good to have the feet on the ground.
If that image is really an ingame capture screet it looks great! (assuming there is no post-processing image treatment)
Lets go lets go!! Only 7 more months to go!

Back