New Yu Suzuki interviews from G-Fusion Tour in China

Lol, Takeuch in that pic...

Man, they did SUCH an incredible job modeling him in the first game...

Wonder if he ever found a new job, after forklifts?

So what he actually said was the game's more replayable than the originals, and that you'll be able to...spoilers, I guess...
...keep playing after you finish the main quest? That's quite a modern open-world feature.
Very interesting.

So what he actually said was the game's more replayable than the originals, and that you'll be able to...spoilers, I guess...
...keep playing after you finish the main quest? That's quite a modern open-world feature.
Very interesting.

So the playability outside the main quest may be double the originals? If so, that sounds even better. Imagine all the extras and easter eggs left to discover, possibly even providing clues or transferable resources for Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
So the playability outside the main quest may be double the originals? If so, that sounds even better. Imagine all the extras and easter eggs left to discover, possibly even providing clues or transferable resources for Shenmue IV.
Not sure there was any reference to being double the originals. I think all he meant was there's a lot more stuff to do outside the main quest so players will have reason to replay many times as opposed to just once or twice like the originals.

I do hope that the game doesn't take too much influence from modern open world games to the point that it doesn't feel like Shenmue anymore. I kind of feel like the 70/30 split would have been more appropriate. However, I'm not too worried. I have faith in Yu Suzuki to deliver an amazing experience to us.

Besides....
Even reading all of this, it still feels unreal. Shenmue 3 people, Shen freaking mue 3. I still can't believe it's real. We all did good. Thanks to Yu for pursuing the project, Sega for giving out the license to him, Sony for annoucing the game at e3 and giving the game exposure and of course, the fans for never giving up on this fight.
This. So much this. Basically any news is good, amazing, and exciting news simply because it's about Shenmue III. In literally a matter of months, we will be playing Shenmue III. Holy crap. Shenmue III. An honest-to-goodness true Shenmue III, developed by the man himself. It's still a little hard to believe.

AI Assist will be available to help those not so experienced with fighting games.
extra options upon first completion to encourage multiple playthroughs, and satisfy the “hardcore” gamers

How my hype for the combat system has been multiplied by 4.

S3 will be Virtua Fighter 6 without the name :love:

thx yuc02

Last edited:
extra options upon completion to encourage multiple playthroughs

So now we get an Actual 1987 Guilin weather option? :D

In all seriousness, I'm hoping for some actual NG+ options, like being able to play through with moves learned/move experience earned as well as items (to help with collecting them all) and money from a previous playthrough. All of this was missing from the original games, which meant that if you didn't have a perfect collection when you completed the game, you'd have to start again from zero, rather than being able to progressively earn more.

It would also be interesting if some scenes from the original games were replayable as part of NG+. Imagine this:

You've played through Shenmue III. You try continuing from your completed save, and the game starts again as usual (from Shenhua's house? We'll see...); however, when Ryo is showing the Phoenix Mirror to Shenhua, she asks how he came to be holding it. Cue a flashback and you're placed in the Hazuki Basement, tasked with finding the Phoenix Mirror again.

Finding the Phoenix Mirror continues the story as normal, but that's not all you can do in the basement - you can find the White Leaf too (where you can't get it on your first playthrough of Shenmue III). Having the White Leaf opens new dialogues, perhaps an entire side story where its origins are hinted at, how Iwao came to be in possession of it, and so on. This would be a good compromise to the fact that you can't bring it with you from Shenmue I anymore.

There are a ton of things that can be done - I hope Yu actually takes advantage of the possibilities here, as it could add a ton of replayability to an already very replayable series.

So now we get an Actual 1987 Guilin weather option? :D

In all seriousness, I'm hoping for some actual NG+ options, like being able to play through with moves learned/move experience earned as well as items (to help with collecting them all) and money from a previous playthrough. All of this was missing from the original games, which meant that if you didn't have a perfect collection when you completed the game, you'd have to start again from zero, rather than being able to progressively earn more.

It would also be interesting if some scenes from the original games were replayable as part of NG+. Imagine this:

You've played through Shenmue III. You try continuing from your completed save, and the game starts again as usual (from Shenhua's house? We'll see...); however, when Ryo is showing the Phoenix Mirror to Shenhua, she asks how he came to be holding it. Cue a flashback and you're placed in the Hazuki Basement, tasked with finding the Phoenix Mirror again.

Finding the Phoenix Mirror continues the story as normal, but that's not all you can do in the basement - you can find the White Leaf too (where you can't get it on your first playthrough of Shenmue III). Having the White Leaf opens new dialogues, perhaps an entire side story where its origins are hinted at, how Iwao came to be in possession of it, and so on. This would be a good compromise to the fact that you can't bring it with you from Shenmue I anymore.

There are a ton of things that can be done - I hope Yu actually takes advantage of the possibilities here, as it could add a ton of replayability to an already very replayable series.
If that all happened that would make all of us very happy indeed.

I like the idea for example when Ryo meets Chai again there's a small flashback to when he dumped him in the harbour or beat him up again on the boat.

50/50 vs 70/30 isn't worse, theres simply more overall. Still every one of the old favorite mechanics as always intended, but with more time and money came more ideas to implement which couldn't be done on Dreamcast or wouldn't be done with only Kickstarter/Shibuya funds.

Ah it's always good to get an official more accurate translation! Wish the gaming press had just been a little more patient before rushing this information out but what can you do?

Glad to see that most of the machine translation provided by Spaghetti is accurate. Such as the 50/50 split between new ideas and old, replayability once the main game is completed, and the world becoming one live economy with the sidequests playing just as important of a role as the main story.

However what excites me most is the new battle mechanics and how Suzuki will emphasize realistic Chinese martial arts! As someone who is in love with martial arts seeing a more realistic take on them is awesome! Especially considering that most martial arts in video games is either overly Hollywood or unrealistic. Knowing that Suzuki practiced martial arts in his travels in China makes me excited for the battles in 3!

Overall though I am just happy when we get any new information about Shenmue 3! I can't wait for part 2 of this translation! Great job yuc02! Great job Spaghetti!

Last edited:
I honestly didn't find the machine translation to be that far off. I mean some items were a little ambiguous, but I didn't take the 'weeks-long' game talk literally for whatever reason, especially when Spaghetti had mentioned all the mini games and side content being accessible post-game.

Thanks for all the compliments! I only saw the post about the interviews this week, so apologies didn't get to translate them earlier.

The machine translation is pretty accurate apart from the multiple playthrough being mistaken for multi week.

I will post the second half of the Sohu article sometime next week, which is more general gaming chat and not directly Shenmue 3 related. I'll have a go at the gamersky translation later this month. The gamersky one is more detailed as it's a direct interview transcript, whereas the Sohu & a9vg ones are more summaries.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the compliments! I only saw the post about the interviews this week, so apologies didn't get to translate them earlier.

The machine translation is pretty accurate apart from the multiple playthrough being mistaken for multi week.

I will post the second half of the Sohu article sometime next week, which is more general gaming chat and not directly Shenmue 3 related. I'll have a go at the gamersky translation later this month. The gamersky one is more detailed as it's a direct interview transcript, whereas the Sohu & a9vg ones are more summaries.
I appreciate the translation, yu! I edited my headline in the article and put "Report" in front of it since it was a machine translation, but I'm glad to hear it wasn't really far off. That's what I get for having keyboard trigger happy fingers!

Back