Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

I don't know what it is exactly but I find a lot of these game trailers during these streams to be very bland. The Final Fantasy trailer voice acting seemed off and out of sync. Looks interesting but an observation nonetheless.
Well at least it has been better than what was shown during the non e3 streams (tjose were bad in general) .

It feels Sony is being more competitive right now in these streams than Microsoft if they do not do much it feels sony will win again in tje console market.

What'd y'all think of that Sony Showcase?

Console prices are as I expected, and I'll still wait it out before buying a console soon. (esp. for the holy of holies, S4). I wasn't overly impressed, but that God of War (Ragnarok?) reveal was surprising: only three years to make a sequel?

So I just finished watching the PS5 showcase. From a production stand point, I swear these presentations used to be much better on previous generations. From an industry that probably requires more creative talent than any other, they are not, for me anyway, hyping things up as much as they could be.

It's great to know that a new God of War is coming but don't announce anything without any damn gameplay. I guess we got some hype because it's coming in 2021 but I just think it would have been better if they showed some gameplay.

Just walking through the interface was something I looked forward to on previous generations. Why not do it here? Talk about backwards compatability, how it will work and so on.

Almost fell asleep watching the damn thing. In the end I'm going to get the console anyway but these showcases are the difference between me buying one straight away and waiting for it to get cheaper. Most disappointing lead up to a new console generation that I can remember.

Haha god damn! After all my plans from enjoying Xbox's backwards compatibility PS5 pulls the Final Fantasy vice on me... Yeah I'm beat - Bye bye Xbox :p

Beyond that it was a show of Heavy hitters, Oddworld looks fantastic as doece Harry Potter's MMO & RE8. Great show - just want to know more about the console but the opening had me sold.

i thought the sony live-stream was a bit meh. nice heads up on the cod blackops online, free to play weekend ( starting this friday). the only 2 next gen games i'm interested in are spiderman & ratchet and clank.

ps5 disc price seems reasonable, i will try and buy one on release day ( after selling my ps4, a ps5 should cost me around £350)

I'm only interested in FFXVI and it's available on pc. The other stuff I'd be interested its HZD2 and no news about it, so it was kinda shitty imo.

Like always, PC players wins :cool:

Crazy to think people are praising $500 for a “disc version” of a console as reasonable when we used to get those for far cheaper. Same for online and micro transaction nonsense. Add limited digital downloads that Nintendo is introducing and you’ve pretty much got a new generation of suckers lined up to tell those boomers to get with the times.

I....don’t know.

I was originally gonna buy a PS5 for Spiderman but seeing as it’s gonna be cross gen (which I had a feeling it would be), I don‘t know if it’s worth it. Most of those first wave next gen games are clearly gonna be cross gen so is it really worth it out of the gate?

599$ AUD for the Digital Version vs 749$ for the BD version. You can see their strategy. They’re gonna eat cost on the digital version in hopes of making it look more appealing and thus making that money back through PSN sales.

I don’t know. Part of me wants to be done with disc drives forever after my recent run of disc drives failing, but now more than ever I want to support retail considering gloomy times.

The games themselves were fine, but I wanted more info about the console itself. Or at least more shown of the console. Like show me the UI. Explain backwards compatibility. Show me something else. Or maybe I’m nitpicking.

I’m very much on the fence.

Last edited:
Well Sony wiped the floor with Xbox, but that's hardly surprising lol.
I also liked how Sony showed in-game footage rather than those pre-rendered CGI movies.

As awesome a line-up that Sony have with the PS5 though, I won't be preordering it nor the Series X.
I still have a backlog of games to play this gen and I'd like to see where both next-gen consoles are a year after release.

Crazy to think people are praising $500 for a “disc version” of a console as reasonable when we used to get those for far cheaper. Same for online and micro transaction nonsense. Add limited digital downloads that Nintendo is introducing and you’ve pretty much got a new generation of suckers lined up to tell those boomers to get with the times.
Ps3 was expensier on release, the infamous 599 dollars.

The next gen are pricey but with the hardware it has they have at most 50 dollars of benefit per unit sold at most, the hardware they have is quite decent to be honest.

What is that about limited downloads?

Buying one within the first year all depends on the game library. If Shenmue 4 comes out I'm buying whichever console it's on right away. There's only 3 other franchises I'd consider buying a console for one just had a release 2 months ago, another 1 year ago and another 2 years ago so I doubt any sequels will be out in 2021 or even 2022 for those. If there's an overwhelming amount of new games releasing that look amazing in the next year, then I'd buy an Xbox X. Chances are there won't be enough to entice me for a few years at full price. I do get a lot of consoles on trade in so its possible that if one comes in at the right price, I'll hang on to it. No interest whatsoever in the PS5 with its overhyped and undelivered marketing as Sony does with every console since the PS3. Two exceptions for the PS5 would be an unfortunate event of Shenmue 4 ending up exclusive again, or a Ghost of Tsushima sequel, that's it at this time. At this time there isn't even one launch game that looks worth it on either console, even if I could get them for XB1 or PS4.

PS5 first party game prices are a joke - £69.99/$79.99 for Demons Souls?

I went from day one to day none. Voting with my wallet. Also helps it's a giant, ugly looking slab of a machine. Hopefully some colour variants come out next year when there's actually more software and the prices aren't just ripping off early adopters.

It is kind of sad that the one major game at launch is a remake of a PS3 game. Oh and a glorified expansion that is also getting a PS4 release (Spider-Man). Says it all really about modern day gaming.

Am I just getting old or is gaming getting less and less interesting with every new generation?

Last edited:
Ps3 was expensier on release, the infamous 599 dollars.

The next gen are pricey but with the hardware it has they have at most 50 dollars of benefit per unit sold at most, the hardware they have is quite decent to be honest.

What is that about limited downloads?

In relation to the 3D Mario collection - it’s not enough that they are already sold out of physical copies with a majority of preorders not being honored, nor that it likely will not receive another print, but you can only download it until March 31st of next year, and if you delete it without archiving it you will not be able to redownload it. Given the extremely limited amount of space already on the Switch, and the fact that Nintendo’s willing to do this with their main franchise, just doesn’t seem like a good sign for things to come considering it will be successful regardless.

Sony is doing a better job than Microsoft, but even then I'm not impressed.

When FFXVI appeared, I was like "this is PS4 level graphics". And, as a matter of fact, as much as there is a mild improvement, most of what was shown felt like a half-step. And also, games at $70 for PS5, that a very important fact.

I'm not buying a PS5 or Xbox Series until they're heavily discounted. For now I'm gonna be enjoying my Retro consoles and the Switch, both of which are providing me with quality entertainment.

79,99€ for the normal Demons Souls version is brutal.
So Special Editions with a season pass or stuff like this will now cost 110+ instead of 89,99?
Two normal PS5 first party games will cost you 160€ ...
Jesus.
I guess i will look even more into previews and reviews than before.

Still no clear details for PS4 games running on PS5. Yeah okay, "99% of the PS4 games will run on the PS5"
but are there any benefits like a brute force mode for a more stable framerate or a better resolution?
I will probably wait 4-9 months.

It is kind of sad that the one major game at launch is a remake of a PS3 game. Oh and a glorified expansion that is also getting a PS4 release (Spider-Man). Says it all really about modern day gaming.

Am I just getting old or is gaming getting less and less interesting with every new generation?
It is most certainly not just you. As far as I'm concerned, the industry needs to get budget and scope of games way down so we can get back to a higher frequency of releases with shorter dev times.

It is most certainly not just you. As far as I'm concerned, the industry needs to get budget and scope of games way down so we can get back to a higher frequency of releases with shorter dev times.

That's the thing though, the mainstream has become so accustomed to big AAA releases that I fear it's gonna be hard to ever go back. I do miss the mid tier though. That was where you got some of the most exciting ideas and the erosion of that tier last gen always made me sad.

That's the thing with PS5, I look at it and think "it's gonna be more of the same as PS4." Outside of the SSD, I'm not seeing anything new. That was the one thing about Ratchet and Clank that did impress me (the load times between worlds), but still, it's just another Ratchet and Clank game.

I don't know. I'm just looking for something new but I fear this gen is gonna just be more of the same. More Ubijunk open worlds. More superhero games (I'm so sick of superheroes in general but hey, the normie mainstream love them so more of the same), More Call of Duty (as much as I enjoy COD multiplayer, it is weird to think it's still going as strong as it is and still sells well considering how many years they've pumped it out), just more of the same in general.

I miss the crazy inventive times where people went for broke and tried things that were weird and different.

Back