Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Sony 1st part titles will be $70. I dont see this happening if gamers unite. I don't understand why game prices have to rise, alot of games are sold digitally so profits should be huge on that side. Most companies also lock content on the disc and charge you for DLC just to unlock the full game. If I were Microsoft I would undercut this, force Sony's hand.

@danielmann861

I had no idea that Spiderman was coming out for PS4. I probably won't be getting the console until God of War now. And it's not just you, each generation is becoming less and less exciting.

As much as I love The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and so on; I still crave for those middle tier games that are more focused on fun than epic story telling. Overcooked and Ratchet and Clank were such a breath of fresh air to play but they are far and few between. I used to walk into video game stores and have no idea what I was looking for and find games I never heard of based on the box art, having a cooperative mode or just looking like fun.

The variety of games I used to play was massive as well. I used to buy NHL, NFL and NBA games but EA and their greed forced 2K to discontinue everything but the NBA series and then NBA 2K became unashamedly more interested in implementing microtransactions than creating a game that's fun to play. Hell, BioWare was always an exciting developer and EA, as predicted, absolutely destroyed them so again, another generation and not a single BioWare game purchased.

I loved wrestling games and it was an annual purchase for myself and my family. Never got one for this generation as they turned into (poorly attempted) simulators with no focus on the fun factor. Used to love Ubisoft until every game became open world and just added to open world fatigue. Loved the original Splinter Cell games but Ubisoft can't figure out how to make it an open world game with microtransactions so it hasn't been made. Ghost Recon is just in such a sad state compared to where it originally was and the GRAW series.

The problem is it seems games are either AAA or the innovative smaller games don't have the budget to make something that is good and polished at the same time. For example, I liked a game called Aragami. Reminded my brother and I of Tenchu and playing that cooperatively. Good game but technically underwhelming. You can tell it was made by passionate gamers and not influenced by corporate cash grabs but at the same time it definitely could do with more financial backing. I've even made the decision not to buy a football game this year and probably will be the same for next year unless there is a major improvement to graphics, gameplay or features.

There's a particular memory I have that sums up what I feel is wrong about modern gaming. Thinking back to the original Halo, it's a game that narratively is a single player game. However, they added co-op and a second Master Chief in the story mode. Made no sense from a narrative stand point but they added it in because they could and it was the fun thing to do. Now, we don't even get cheat codes because of Achievements and Trophies.

So I bit the bullet this morning and pre-ordered the PlayStation 5 at my local GAME store with a £10 deposit...

Honestly, I'm not even bothered about the launch line up, not even remotely and don't intend to get any of the games at launch
:P
What made me suddenly change my mind? The notion of Final Fantasy XVI being a timed exclusive - I know it's going to be on PC to in time but I'm not a PC gamer and there is no way I would miss that at launch. There are other games I'm excited for too Resident Evil 8 & Oddworld to name a few.

The other problem is my PS4 Pro. It has been confirmed that 99% of PS4 games will run on PS5. Which made me come to the realization that once the PS5 is released I will have zero (Well maybe 1%
:P
) use for my PS4 Pro. I was going to wait until RE8 was released or something but my concern is that if I am intending to sell my PS4 PRO, that may go down in value by next year and I can't see the PS5 dropping price any time soon. So rather than sticking with my paperweight of a PS4 it would make sense to get rid of it now while it holds it's value right?

Now the research comes into play:
- Will the launch console be sustainable?
- 99% of PS4 titles will work? - CONFIRMED:
- Will the DLC for PS4 games be compatible on PS5 (You'd hope so right)
- Will the PS4 games be enhanced (Beyond just SSD loadtimes)
- Will I be able to play PS4 games with online capability on my PS5 - With PS4 owners? So if I play the PS4 version of Resident Evil 6 on PS5, can I play with a friend who owns the game on PS4?
- SSD, Can you use external SSD HD's on PS5? I know with Xbox Series X you have an Storage Expansion Card

Last edited:
Reactions: red
I'm going to wait a good 2-3 years easily before I upgrade. There may be a ps5 slim or pro by that time. Plus there's not a lot out there that interests me at the moment. Waiting for quality games to come out and it takes time. Plus the majority of studios (Persona, Yakuza, Quantic Dream, Too Kyo Games, Fumito Ueda, Naughty Dog) studios that I adore need to get their feet wet with the technology and that'll take a bit of time.

Last edited:
Well Sony wiped the floor with Xbox, but that's hardly surprising lol.
For real? Both were a disaster. The "biggest game" of Xbox it's 360-ish, and the "biggest game" of PS5 it's a cross gen that I still dont understand if it's a DLC or what the hell.

I think the only console wiping the floor with the others it's Nintendo Switch, with competitive price of the consoles and great exclusives games (real exclusives, not that bullshit of " yeah, exclusive* console** ")
* limited time
** also available in pc

About the "next gen jump" I'm not seeing it, at least in graphics (dont care 4k). If people are losing their minds because their consoles will stop having HDD disks, I'll just look at them with pity.

I think the only console wiping the floor with the others it's Nintendo Switch, with competitive price of the consoles and great exclusives games (real exclusives, not that bullshit of " yeah, exclusive* console** ")
* limited time
** also available in pc
Depends your tastes you are right, leaving aside that the switch is technically xboxone and ps4 generation, Nintendo can have the bigger selection of exclusives. In my case it does not have enough games that would catch my interest to justify the purchase, at least yet.

And its the same story as lately really start lineup is not impressive and its not worth buying one until 1-2 years in the cycle.

It is kind of sad that the one major game at launch is a remake of a PS3 game. Oh and a glorified expansion that is also getting a PS4 release (Spider-Man). Says it all really about modern day gaming.

Am I just getting old or is gaming getting less and less interesting with every new generation?

The only console launch I was ever excited for was the Dreamcast. That launch lineup was incredible! The whole launch window was. Scratch that actually. The amount of quality titles that came out in just the 2/3 years the console was alive for (as a competitive console) was insane.

Gamecube and Xbox kinda came close for me, but more because I was excited to see what the consoles would eventually have to offer.

Sony 1st part titles will be $70. I dont see this happening if gamers unite. I don't understand why game prices have to rise, alot of games are sold digitally so profits should be huge on that side. Most companies also lock content on the disc and charge you for DLC just to unlock the full game. If I were Microsoft I would undercut this, force Sony's hand.
It's so easy, but for whatever reason people just can't stop buying shit (even when they know they're getting a raw deal) if consolewar "hype" is involved.

I, for one, blame resetera. Why? I don't know, but FUCK resetera.

It's like neither Sony or Microsoft wanted to launch a new console and were forced to do so by some invisible hand. Overall poor presentations by both. I just remembered about Cyberpunk. If its next-gen update is significant, I'll get a PS5 then if money is good. If not, I'll settle for it on the PS4.
I've noticed this too. So far no dev has proven the need for new hardware yet.

Games always cost more upon a new gen but £70 is steep even by that standard but people will and are paying it. I have and there were about 15 people behind me ready to do the same thing.

Overall I'm looking forward to both consoles. PS5 because it has the exclusives I want and XBSX because all their stuff will come to PC via Gamer Pass including EA access so it's win win :).

I'm a little bewildered about the initial idea that PS4 will keep seeing support for a long while yet but, looking back the same happened with PS1-PS2 and PS2-PS3 albeit more on 3rd party stuff. It was more the way Sony led us to think 1st party would be PS5 only. Microsoft were getting slammed for it and Sony are doing the same thing. I hope they still push thew PS5 hardware to it's limits though. From what is being put out in the press the games are built for PS5 and then downgraded for PS4 but that could be rubbish.

Last edited:
In a perfect world they would do that. But this price hike is probably coming from pressure from the third party companies. And as I've learned throught the years, Microsoft's real customers are the third parties and developers, NOT the public or the users. Gamers are secondary to Microsoft, and I'm sorry if you're a big fan of them, but it' s the truth.

Their number one customer, across the board, is the lisencee.

I folded and pre ordered one from Amazon earlier because curiosity got the better of me.

At the minute I'm thinking i'll play Astro Bot, have my curiosity satisfied about what the pad feels like, see the UI, the quality of 4K UHD playback and PS4 backwards compatibility ( you know - all the things we should already know at this point but they haven't bothered to communicate 🥴 ) etc, then box it up, walk into CEX a few days later and (likely, on past experience) get given more cash than i paid for it. There is no way I'll ever part with £70 for a standard disc or digital download. Can't do it.

(unless it's shenmue iv of course, then i'll pay double that) :rolleyes:

Depends your tastes you are right, leaving aside that the switch is technically xboxone and ps4 generation, Nintendo can have the bigger selection of exclusives. In my case it does not have enough games that would catch my interest to justify the purchase, at least yet.

And its the same story as lately really start lineup is not impressive and its not worth buying one until 1-2 years in the cycle.
Well, I was talking about consoles, but the real deal it's to get a PC. You will get Xbox game's almost for free, you will get almost all PS4/PS5 exclusives, you will play it with better graphics to 60fps no matter how.

I think Xbox and PS exists only because "tradition". Nintendo at least have exclusive games and you can play in your bed. That's stuff that nobody else gives to you. The perfect combination imo it's PC + Switch (someday, when they have at least 8/10 games you really want).

In old times, NES-MS and SNES-MD didnt have the same titles, so it was justified. PS-N64-Saturn idem. But now? There's no point at all in buying consoles.

For anyone concerned about "is this actually next gen?", I would take a look at the individual video releases per game on youtube, as opposed to the live streams. You'll get to see the videos at a much higher quality since you don't have to worry about streaming bandwidth. Obviously as the generation goes on, the divide will be much greater as more devs optimize their tech for the new hardware.

I just hope we will get the option to decide for oursellves if we want to prefer framerate or resolution.
Preferably in every game.
Like Devil May Cry 5 SE where you can choose between 4K + RTX @30fps, 1080p + RTX @60fps,
or 1080p + RTX OFF @60-120fps on PS5.
I want this kind of options in every game.
Otherwise it wont take long until some AAA studios will start to push the new consoles
to 107% with 4K resolution and textures + RTX On and ultra settings so they can sell it as the best looking games ever
and then we are back to framedrops down to 20 fps.
No thanks.

framerate or resolution.
I hope so. I rather have framerate to be honest. I do not have a massive monitor nor tv and I do not play meters apart so to me more resolution it has diminishing returns at too much cost.

I think Xbox and PS exists only because "tradition".
Your post was a good one. I also think the current consoles kinda exists as a "lazy/convenient" option for people that do not want to be bothered searching for pc configuration when building one (too many options can confuse people) nor deal configuring your OS with drivers, etc..

Another thing I need to consider is if Sony will keep the policy that allows you to "share" games with other people. My brother and I live in completely different places but because his registered PlayStation is the one at my house, I can play all "his" games and even have access to PS Plus online gaming and PlayStation Now. Only downside is he has to have an Internet connection in order to play his games but that's only been an issue once or twice this entire generation.

We therefore split the cost on pretty much every game we buy. If they don't have that feature, I'll have to give the digital edition a pass.

I hope so. I rather have framerate to be honest. I do not have a massive monitor nor tv and I do not play meters apart so to me more resolution it has diminishing returns at too much cost.

Your post was a good one. I also think the current consoles kinda exists as a "lazy/convenient" option for people that do not want to be bothered searching for pc configuration when building one (too many options can confuse people) nor deal configuring your OS with drivers, etc..
I dont buy that anymore. You can find 10000 youtube videos of how to get a pc, how to configure it, what is convenient based in what you need and what you want, software that downloads all the drivers you need, and so on. I'd buy that in 2010, but nowadays? Impossible.

Back