Niaowu Hotel Guest Book

Ok I have really judged the mood of the crowd badly. But my point is that just because your a rich backer with a statue does not make you a better Shenmue fan than the passionate fan on low income who saved up for the collectors edition and is not enshrined in the game. We don’t want Russian oligarchs to become central characters in Shenmue 4 because they donated millions to YS Net.
What on earth? Who said they're better than you?

Ok I have really judged the mood of the crowd badly. But my point is that just because your a rich backer with a statue does not make you a better Shenmue fan than the passionate fan on low income who saved up for the collectors edition and is not enshrined in the game. We don’t want Russian oligarchs to become central characters in Shenmue 4 because they donated millions to YS Net.

tenor (4).gif

No one thinks this though
I've never heard or seen anyone on the internet including here even remotely act like that.
I'm not sure where you're even getting this idea...

People just desperately wanted this game made and Yu wanted to show his gratitude. That's pretty much all there is too it.
You are reading way too much into this. What brought this about?

This has nothing to do with ego, they wanted it for the fun of being in the game and franchise they love. Imagine how ecstatic the kids are when they see their parent inside the game.

The Shenmue Museum was a brilliant idea to gather most of the stuff in one place, like a big lovely easter egg.

People just desperately wanted this game made and Yu wanted to show his gratitude. That's pretty much all there is too it.
You are reading way too much into this. What brought this about?

This. The moment Shenmue 3 was announced I felt like I had to do everything I could to make the game exist and be the best it could be. Shenmue is a part of my life and who I am and a huge part of what defined my taste in games and stories. I literally did as much as I feasibly could at the time. I didn’t have a car payment, wife, or kids at the time, and even sold some old games and stuff to recover some of the cost. If I made more, I would’ve spent even more. If I made (or had) less I would’ve spent less. It doesn’t matter who spent how much, man. Everyone put money towards this project for the same goal: to have Shenmue 3. The little incentives like the guestbook were just for people to be more excited to contribute! There’s nothing egotistical about that.

This. The moment Shenmue 3 was announced I felt like I had to do everything I could to make the game exist and be the best it could be. Shenmue is a part of my life and who I am and a huge part of what defined my taste in games and stories. I literally did as much as I feasibly could at the time. I didn’t have a car payment, wife, or kids at the time, and even sold some old games and stuff to recover some of the cost. If I made more, I would’ve spent even more. If I made (or had) less I would’ve spent less. It doesn’t matter who spent how much, man. Everyone put money towards this project for the same goal: to have Shenmue 3. The little incentives like the guestbook were just for people to be more excited to contribute! There’s nothing egotistical about that.
I understand completely. This thread was a major overreaction on my part. I didn’t mean to upset passionate Shenmue fans. Peace out.

it didn't bother me but I wish that I had donated more money to try and get my name either in the temple or the guest book but I was going through a layoff and it was exceptionally risky to put in more than the $250 I put down. I think the first time seeing the names in Niaowu I did get that sense of "man I should have put more in" but my second play through I have come to accept it. We all did our part and the alternative was no Shenmue.

I did like the way the save shenmue building was done.

Maybe more things should have remained in the save shenmue building. The way it was handled in Bailu village I think was done better than Niaowu.

I am thankful I am at least in the credits. I think it is normal to feel some envy but not in a negative way, for example if I had the job then I have now, I would have happily dropped 2 grand. In the end, what matters is we have the game and having the backers pictures or guest book messages is a good way to say thank you for giving their hard earned money to support this. No different than Shenmue I and II having advertisers in the game for supporting them. For the people that requested a refund however, I hope they have been removed.

Last edited:
The only terrible 4th wall break fan service crap was the backers you fight right before lan di. A couple are wearing their glasses for god sake!

Fighting backers should have been a scuffle earlier in the game.. not the battle right before lan di.
This is the non-spoiler forum so this cannot sit here.

Posts with in or quoted this have been removed. Be aware of spoiler posting.

Back