Playstation Showcase Sept. 9th. - Possibility?

Telekill

Sega Game Gear Enthusiast
Currently playing
Resident Evil 5 (PS4), Helldivers 2 (PS5), God of War: R (PS5)
Sony recently announced that next week on Thursday, September 9th, that they will FINALLY have another showcase ending their nearly 1 year silence on big announcements. One of the things I think we're all hoping to see is Shenmue IV. Now... we saw Shenmue III show up on the Sony E3 stage back in 2015. What's the possibility of Shenmue IV being announced next week for PS4 and PS5 (and PC after the show)? I suppose all we can do is hope.

What are your thoughts?

Thursday 9th September 2021: Times to Watch:

• North America: 1pm PDT / 2pm MDT / 3pm CDT / 4pm EDT
  • UK/Ire: 9pm BST
  • Europe: 10pm CEST / 11pm EEST
  • Asia/Oceania: 5am JST / 4am AWST / 6am AEST
By the way.... September 9th is also the anniversary of the Dreamcast launch in N. America. :cool:

Slim to none...Sony gave the e3 stage last time but didn't do much else to help. I don't really anticipate a Shenmue 4 announcement ever, but if it does happen I would expect a much quieter fanfare than last time.

We're not expecting anything but will stream anyway.

As a ps5 use that is curious about future games i am going to watch it but I do not expect anything big in general. I do not even think about Shenmue 4 realated stuff.

If anything is going to be shown this year the TGS would be the better oportunity but I doubt that we hear anything substantial in 2021 at all. 2022 maybe if we are super lucky.

Alan Wake's getting a remaster and possible sequel courtesy of Epic. That could bode well for YsNet, Wake is as much a niche property as Shenmue is. Hoping to see some footage at this PS show, but it's a really good and atmospheric game if you've not played it before.

Yes it is good thing that Alan Wake got a Remaster. I am not going to purchase it though because I just recently bought the PC version on steam and the original version looks good enough for me even in 2021. But it is great thing that Alan Wake gets in the spotlight again and if the Remaster is sucessful we maybe get a sequal.

Speaking of Remasters a remaster of Max Payne 1 for the consoles would be awesome as well. So far the only console version out there is the horrible PS2 Version which is no match for the good PC Version. The xbox version of Max Payne 2 is good though. I have played the second Max Game many times on it it was good. Not sure if the PC Version is still better (never played Max Payne 2 on the PC) but the xbox version is still decent.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that Alan Wake 2 was being pitched to publishers years ago and Remedy said that everyone passed on it, including Microsoft. Sounds awfully familiar doesn't it...
Speaking of Remasters a remaster of Max Payne 1 for the consoles would be awesome as well. So far the only console version out there is the horrible PS2 Version which is no match for the good PC Version. The xbox version of Max Payne 2 is good though. I have played the second Max Game many times on it it was good. Not sure if the PC Version is still better (never played Max Payne 2 on the PC) but the xbox version is still decent.
Yeah, I'd love to see all 3 MP games released for current consoles. There is a port of Max Payne (1) for the OG Xbox, but it's got terrible load times. 2 was good though, like you said. I think 3 turned out pretty good as well, but it's hard to replay on the X360/PS3 due to load times as well.

I have not played 3 yet because when it came out I was distracted by the different look compared to the first 2 games. But I want to give MP3 a chance soon because I have read many times that is not that bad if you overlook the different setting and look of Max. I will get on pc when the game is on sale.

I.....don't think we'll get Shenmue IV here. I think if we get Shenmue IV, we get it at a lower key event...or maybe a one two punch alongside the anime. Still, will be watching this week. Would be surprised to hear that music if it popped up again like it did E3 2015.

Hopes outside of Shenmue IV?

Don't really know...I kind of want something new and unexpected but I feel it's just gonna be a lot of updates on stuff we already know about.

Would be amazing if there was any truth to that Abandoned/Silent Hills rumor, but we will see.

Anyways, should be fun.

I'd imagine it will be mostly Sony 1st party stuff or 3rd party exclusives that pop up.

Very much an outside shout for Shenmue at best.

Agreed, very small possibility. With the way Epic is funding Unreal Engine games my gut says it's far more likely to be announced through them before anyone else. If Deep Silver haven't picked it up I would at leatst hope that YsNet have a connection with them. Could be a good thing though, Epic helping with development + potentially an Xbox release will enhance the quality of the game and the reach of the series.

Can’t see it, unfortunately. Maybe an outside chance that there’ll be something at TGS later this month, but again, I’m not holding my breath.

Agreed, very small possibility. With the way Epic is funding Unreal Engine games my gut says it's far more likely to be announced through them before anyone else. If Deep Silver haven't picked it up I would at leatst hope that YsNet have a connection with them. Could be a good thing though, Epic helping with development + potentially an Xbox release will enhance the quality of the game and the reach of the series.
Why would releasing on Xbox enhance quality? Genuinely curious... not a fanboy wars crap. The third game was far below what even PS4 could do so I'm not expecting a 4th to be cutting edge.

My hopes outside of Shenmue are an Uncharted continuation, a Warhawk (PS3) reboot with the WW2 feel and a single player campaign, a Dino Crisis reboot, and a dark and gritty Ninja Turtles game. A little more than a day to go.

Why would releasing on Xbox enhance quality? Genuinely curious... not a fanboy wars crap. The third game was far below what even PS4 could do so I'm not expecting a 4th to be cutting edge.
I meant it as in, Epic helping with development would enhance the quality of the game (they assist with tools and development costs) and releasing on xbox would extend the reach of the series. People still port beg for S3 on Xbox on social media, which shows there is still a small untapped market of potential buyers there.

My hopes outside of Shenmue are an Uncharted continuation, a Warhawk (PS3) reboot with the WW2 feel and a single player campaign, a Dino Crisis reboot, and a dark and gritty Ninja Turtles game. A little more than a day to go.
I’d love an Uncharted 5, but I think the best we can hope for is a PC release of the first 4 games and maybe a PS5 port of 4. ND seems to have its hands full atm with Stray’s Cross, TLOU remake and TLOU2MP though, so even that seems like a big ask.

Personally, I’d be happy with updates on the new God of War game and FFXVI, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the latter shows up at TGS instead.

Noticed that Sony are putting out video ads for this on social media platforms like Snapchat. Not sure I've seen that before with previous showcase events, so there might be something quite big they're about to drop...?

Personal hope is that more first party titles are finding their way to PC.

I'm pretty sure it won't appear. I don't see Sony involving themselves in Shenmue after Shenmue III came and went to little fanfare, unfortunately. If it had sold significantly or gotten critical acclaim, sure, maybe. I think they're moving away from little titles and focusing on blockbusters this gen.

Back