Playstation Showcase Sept. 9th. - Possibility?

Noticed that Sony are putting out video ads for this on social media platforms like Snapchat. Not sure I've seen that before with previous showcase events, so there might be something quite big they're about to drop...?

Personal hope is that more first party titles are finding their way to PC.
That's where we disagree. If Sony announced that they would be bringing most their first party titles to PC as well, their Playstation hardware would become practically meaningless. Microsoft did that with Xbox and now there's zero reason to own any Xbox system. Likewise, PS5 would be the last console I buy if I could play everything on PC.

Yep Sony is not Microsoft. Microsoft does not care about consoles anymore. They just want to put their service on every plattform known to man. They do not care where people are going to play their stuff. Sony on the other hand needs the hardware to make money. Bringing everything to pc would make the ps5 just a 499 euro doorstopper. From a pure technical point of view the ps5 is nothing special. At best a middle class graphics card. Not worth the asking price. Only exlusive content keeps their consoles alive.

I do not think that Sony want to be the second Sega and just turn into a medicore Third party publisher.

Last edited:
Just had a thought pop into my head that I'm sure will happen in the near future, but could also happen tonight.

We know that Sony completed their acquisition of Crunchy Roll about a month ago, but we haven't had an official announcement or even a mention from Sony about it. There has however, been multiple reports (starting about 2 weeks ago) from gaming press that Sony are apparently going to do a more expensive version of PlayStation Plus that will include full access to all the content that Crunchy Roll offers. Sony paid nearly $1 billion for CR, so you'd assume they have long term/tie in plans for it. CR also have their own Original Productions, so I wonder if, down the line, we will see them create anime for some first party Sony IPs (Horizon, God of War, GoT etc) which will hopefully bring more people over to the more expensive tier, as it provides an easier onboarding experience for those who haven't watched anime, but love PlayStation.

Not sure if it will show up tonight but when they do announce this new PlayStation Plus tier, there will obviously be a small introduction to CR, and what content they offer, alongside a brief sizzle reel. I feel like it would be wishful thinking for them to show a full scale Shenmue the Animation trailer, but it would be primetime to include it in a sizzle reel, with a message saying full trailer coming soon or something similar.

Probably a longshot, but out of everything Shenmue related, I feel like this makes the most sense to me :p!

As Peter said in the latest Shenmue Podcast, I also believe that if Shenmue IV is being made, it would only benefit to hold off on an announcement until it's nearly ready, but also in order to pair it up with Shenmue the Animation. For this reason, I kind of hope that we don't see it, as having both announced at the same time only bolsters the impact and success that they will both have.

Either way, I doubt that we will see anything Shenmue related tonight, but as always, I have my fingers crossed and am very much looking forward to the show!

Last edited:
Bringing everything to pc would make the ps5 just a 499 euro doorstopper. From a pure technical point of view the ps5 is nothing special. At best a middle class graphics card. Not worth the asking price. Only exlusive content keeps their consoles alive.
Not sure that this is really the best take. You’re right on one thing though, and that’s that Sony isn’t Microsoft. Its exclusives are generally coming to PC 1-3 years after their initial release (if at all) rather than at launch. A big GoW/Uncharted/TLoU fan isn’t going to want to wait that long to play the latest game. Realistically, by the time they eventually come to PC, pretty much every PS5 owner who was going to buy them will have already done so.

I think you’re also massively underselling the power of the PS5, which, although no match for a top of the line PC, is far superior to anything that could be assembled for $400/$500. Remember, this also needs to cover the cost of a gaming chair, a desk, peripherals and a decent monitor, the latter of which alone will likely eat up $200+. Then there’s the fact that as developers design their games specifically with the PS5’s hardware and architecture in mind, which allows them to run much faster than on an equivalently powered PC (which would likely cost about twice as much without the aforementioned extras).

There are also a lot of people who are intimidated by the prospect of building a PC and don’t like the idea of their key components becoming second-tier after just one year. With a console, you’re effectively getting a guarantee that you’ll be able to run the latest games for the next 7-10 years. Pretty sure even the best of Intel’s Sandy Bridge CPUs would struggle to get more than a few frames per second in a modern AAA title even at low settings, so the same cannot be said of PCs. A gaming PC is also a lot trickier for parents to buy than a console when Christmas and Birthdays come around, not only because of the higher price, but also the complexity of speccing it up and putting all of the components together.

To be clear, I don’t see Sony bringing every single one of their exclusives to PC, but even if they did, providing they don’t come out at the same time as their console releases, I very much doubt that it would hurt PS5 sales all that much. Certainly nowhere near as much as Sony would be making from PC sales of Uncharted and TLoU, anyway.

I just do not trust Sony since they overhyped und under devilvered with the ps2. I just buy the consoles for the games and not for the tech. The tech might be not bad but not worth bothering just for techs sake. So far Ps5 games does not look like next gen games at all. Everything is just rather boring and not impressive at all. But far point for some people the ps5 tech might be good enough to buy the ps5 just for the tech alone.

That's where we disagree. If Sony announced that they would be bringing most their first party titles to PC as well, their Playstation hardware would become practically meaningless. Microsoft did that with Xbox and now there's zero reason to own any Xbox system. Likewise, PS5 would be the last console I buy if I could play everything on PC.
I mean Jim Ryan has said that PC releases are becoming a core part of PlayStation's software strategy going forward, so more releases *are* coming, but I don't really expect first party games to come to PC day and date with the console releases.

More than happy to just raid the back catalogue of the PS4 downwards.

Shenmue aside, it was a boring show

Knight of the Old Republic remake and Project Eve looks gorgeous.

Lack of Shenmue IV makes me sad, but expected.

Well, I got my KOTOR Remake (2nd all-time fave game) so I'm happy.

1631222613980.png

I expect Shenmue 4 might be teased in 2022 alongside the anime. If not, I shall engage panic mode.

It was better than expected. Of course I was not blown away but I did not consider that would happen.Some titles with potential that might interest me were shown.

Forspoken, Spiderman 2 and Wolverine.

Project Eve could really be something for me. I really like the art Style.

the Wolverine game could also be good. i just hope it will be similar gory to that hidden gem wolverine game on the ps3

It was so clear that Shenmue 4 was not there. So I am not dispointed about that.

ps: Of coures I should mention the Kotor Remake as well. Another game with potential.

Last edited:
Glad I didn't hold my breath. So many possibilities and nothing screamed "day one" to me. A handful of games shown have potential. That's the best they had... potential. Yeah... if this is modern gaming, then PS5 will be the last system that I'm caught up with the industry. I just don't care for what's being offered. The idea of PS6... as of now, I'll be skipping it.

About which possiblities are you talking about? That what we saw was modern gaming. That are the type of games the gaming kids these days care. And so Sony delivers. Just normal stuff. But I am still curious what you mean with posibilities?

About which possiblities are you talking about? That what we saw was modern gaming. That are the type of games the gaming kids these days care. And so Sony delivers. Just normal stuff. But I am still curious what you mean with posibilities?
Sony has a bevy of dormant IPs and active IPs that they could have pulled from.... here's just a few...
- Warhawk
- Twisted Metal (supposedly coming)
- Jet Moto
- Uncharted continuation (now officially a dormant series)
- Quantic Dream's next tale.
- Infamous

There's quite a few more. Instead they decided to give time to the likes of Deathloop (which just had it's own State of Play), an Alan Wake port and GTA V of all things.

Last edited:
Most of the ips are dormant for some reason. if they do not generate enough money they put on hold. Sony is not interested in bringing back old series as long they are trendy at the moment. Only some hardcore fans want them but they are not enough to make this old games worthwhile. The last Infamous also did not do that well. At least not as good as Ghost of Tsushima. So it is rather likely that they work an another Ghost game. But in the case of Sucker Punch we need to fair. They just released the Directors Cut of Ghost of Tsushima so it is too early for them to show new content.

There is nothing wrong wanting old franchises back but as long as they do not fit the current trending stuff they won't come back.

Gaming companies are not our friends. They want to make money. They want to cater the needs of the mainstream. We old school fans that have been with Sony for quite some time are not the target audiance. We were replaced by way younger folks that grew up with another stuff and have a differnt taste than we have.

And Sony changed anyway since it has been taken over by americans during the ps4 era.

ps: Quantic Dream does not work for Sony anymore. They are free now.

Gaming companies are not our friends. They want to make money. They want to cater the needs of the mainstream. We old school fans that have been with Sony for quite some time are not the target audiance. We were replaced by way younger folks that grew up with another stuff and have a differnt taste than we have.

I feel f**king old now. Thanks.

It is the unforunate truth. I realised that many years during the ps3 era already. I am not part of the core audiance anymore. Games are made for different generation now. But that does not mean that you cannot enjoy same games anymore. I am just more picky then I used to be and play only few games that I like. It is not that bad to be on the realistic side of things. Sony is neither good nor bad. they just cater their audiance. If you are not part of he audiance then you won't see many things that you personally like.

I'd definitely shy away from hoping Sony is Shenmue's savior. It's gonna be Deep Silver or Sega at this point, at best; and I put Sega in the unlikely category as well. These companies don't take risks & a sequel to a game that might've sold 100K copies worldwide & received ok reviews isn't getting stage time at any major events. Shenmue 3 was the lightning in a bottle moment. Everything after that is luck and sheer will power/negotiating.

Last edited:
I feel f**king old now. Thanks.
Don't worry, i'm 20 years old and i also feel f**king old because i hate these new "trendy" games, i prefer the old ones, they were more original and unique.

Most of the time they were not.Humans tend to remember the good games and forgot the bad ones. And there were lots of bad ones. Nostalgia is indeed a powerful drug.

Most games were worse on average. We had some execrable games in the 8-64-bit eras, much worse than most free games these days. Parents actually spent $80 on Superman 64. Imagine getting that under the Christmas tree. Now you can get fully-formed games with endless gameplay for FREE (Fall Guys, etc.). I think it was just harder to develop games back in the day. That's why Yu Suzuki is such a legend.

Back