Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

I saw the trailer again, Looks like Ryo will get the scar because of Lan Di. Yu Suzuki said that the scar is from the last fight of the tournament, I can imagine it happening in the anime but maybe in this part Lan Di will make the scar open more or something like that. I don't know... if Ryo gets the scar because of Lan Di it will have an interesting meaning for the story in the anime, i really enjoy this things they will add in the story.

I have a lot of questions about how this will happen about the scar and the bandage but here it's clear to me that Lan Di makes Ryo bleed in this part of the trailer.

unknown.png

I had no idea these trailers were even dropping until I got an email from the Shenmue Dojo, thanks for the heads up! A February release date is a lot sooner then I expected but I'll be there ready and waiting to watch the first episode.

Still feels surreal seeing a Shenmue anime like this. The story may have been set in the 80s but in my mind Shenmue always remained part of that late 90s/early 2000s golden age. I kind of always imagine that if Shenmue got an anime it would look like other shows from that time, like classic Yu-Gi-Oh! or something, with much thicker line work on all the character designs. Seeing these trailers there's no denying this is a modern anime and I'm definitely pleased with the results. A good update of Shenmue's style that keeps the sprit of the games without alienating contemporary anime audiences.

Also, a shame that Corey Marshall isn't reprising his role but the new guys sounds good. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Shenmue's staccato voice acting is definitely an acquired taste and I can fully understand why the studio would want something more traditional for the English dub this time around.

I tried looking up the english voice actor for Ren, Cody House, but I couldn’t find anything about the guy.

Does anyone have a link to his voice work?

HERE WE FUCKIN' GO!!!!!!! I don't watch anime but obviously I'm super pumped for this and will buy any stupid-ass shit they release that's associated with this project. It looks like they're doing a great job staying true to the story of the games and the production values look pretty solid. It's a nice surprise that it's getting released so soon, too, and that they didn't stretch out the anticipation with like 4-5 trailers, just the announcement trailer and essentially the release trailer.

I'll definitely be watching with the Japanese VO, but I think the English Ryo sounds pretty good. I hope the fanbase doesn't get too upset that the role is recast if the actor does a great job.

I feel sorry for Corey too but i think the recast was kind of necessary
because in comparison to the first two games, you could sometimes really easily hear
that he simply has a older / deeper voice in Shenmue 3.

So now even more time has past and we are going all the way back to the beginning of Shenmue 1 with the anime,
probably even new scenes that take place before the game.
And i think if you want to present this whole project on a professional level to a international audience
outside of the core fan base, you have to change the voice to make it work.

Theres no problem with the japanese version because fortunately the original voice
still almost sounds the same. These are things nobody can predict with a 20 year project pause.
So i hope Corey doesnt take it personal, its not his fault.
To be clear, I actually think the recast is for the best (I think I said as much when the anime was first announced), but for them to only recast Corey and not Masaya seems like a douche move. I get why they did it (Japanese people really do love their voice actors and so would likely be a lot more resistant to a change), but from the outside looking in, it might appear that the producers didn’t think that Corey was good enough. True or not, that’s gotta sting quite a bit. It could also jeopardize Corey’s involvement in future video game installments too, particularly if the success of the anime leads to Shenmue 4 being greenlit.

Aside from all that though, I’m super stoked for the anime. It really does look good from what we’ve been shown so far.

That anime site confirms it's 13 episodes which is exciting. Where will we be able to watch it?
Toonami in the USA and Crunchyroll Subscription which you can get anywhere

5th February! Can't believe it's that soon! :D

Loved seeing @James Brown and @spud1897 's reactions also

Some stray thoughts from both trailers:

English:
-I like that we get to see what Ryo was doing immediately before returning home: provides some much needed context and its in character for him to turn down going out to celebrate
-So it sounds like they didn't get Corey to reprise the role - to be honest I'm not too disappointed by this, it will be interesting to hear a different take on Ryo
-'YOU BASTARD!' - gave me chills! Touches like this are appreciated as it would be a natural reaction in the situation, and improves the somewhat dry dialogue of the game.
-The fighting and hit impacts in general are BRUTAL, some terrific animation here.
-'What do you really know about your father's past?' - I think this works well as a general 'hook' for the series, and glad to see the photo of Iwao and Zhao
-Charlie with the soccer ball appears to have been moved to take place in the harbour...
-A biker confronting Ryo outside his house? Interesting...possibly how he's lured to the harbour to rescue Nozomi in this adaptation?
-The line about threatening Ryo that he'll meet the same fate as his father - who is speaking here?
-Tony and Smith are freaking huge!
-Chai fight in the Dojo, as we've already seen. Will be interesting to see what the circumstances of this happening are.

Japanese:
-Backgrounds and lighting are beautiful
-Terry saying 'You're trying to get mixed up in some dangerous stuff' - it really does seem like the anime is stressing the point of how reckless Ryo is acting...
-Where is Lan Di in the scene of him looking out the window? Chi You Men HQ?
-'One mirror remains' is an interesting line - perhaps confirmation that they are indeed only two?
-Can't wait to see the 70 man battle with Gui Zhang!!
-Clip of Mark is a bit random - but does confirm the forklift job will happen?
-We're getting young Ryo flashbacks
-Payphone!!
-Virtua Fighter in the arcade!! Great touch. Yes doesn't make sense in 1986, but then neither does capsule toys of the series existing...
-Very surprised to see Ryo practice the Double Blow with Yamagishi-san - how many of the optional scenes will we see in this I wonder?

All in all this looks bloody fantastic and I can't wait!!

5th February! Can't believe it's that soon! :D

Loved seeing @James Brown and @spud1897 's reactions also

Some stray thoughts from both trailers:

English:
-I like that we get to see what Ryo was doing immediately before returning home: provides some much needed context and its in character for him to turn down going out to celebrate
-So it sounds like they didn't get Corey to reprise the role - to be honest I'm not too disappointed by this, it will be interesting to hear a different take on Ryo
-'YOU BASTARD!' - gave me chills! Touches like this are appreciated as it would be a natural reaction in the situation, and improves the somewhat dry dialogue of the game.
-The fighting and hit impacts in general are BRUTAL, some terrific animation here.
-'What do you really know about your father's past?' - I think this works well as a general 'hook' for the series, and glad to see the photo of Iwao and Zhao
-Charlie with the soccer ball appears to have been moved to take place in the harbour...
-A biker confronting Ryo outside his house? Interesting...possibly how he's lured to the harbour to rescue Nozomi in this adaptation?
-The line about threatening Ryo that he'll meet the same fate as his father - who is speaking here?
-Tony and Smith are freaking huge!
-Chai fight in the Dojo, as we've already seen. Will be interesting to see what the circumstances of this happening are.

Japanese:
-Backgrounds and lighting are beautiful
-Terry saying 'You're trying to get mixed up in some dangerous stuff' - it really does seem like the anime is stressing the point of how reckless Ryo is acting...
-Where is Lan Di in the scene of him looking out the window? Chi You Men HQ?
-'One mirror remains' is an interesting line - perhaps confirmation that they are indeed only two?
-Can't wait to see the 70 man battle with Gui Zhang!!
-Clip of Mark is a bit random - but does confirm the forklift job will happen?
-We're getting young Ryo flashbacks
-Payphone!!
-Virtua Fighter in the arcade!! Great touch. Yes doesn't make sense in 1986, but then neither does capsule toys of the series existing...
-Very surprised to see Ryo practice the Double Blow with Yamagishi-san - how many of the optional scenes will we see in this I wonder?

All in all this looks bloody fantastic and I can't wait!!
Very good breakdown of both trailers

Just saw the backgrounds ripped from the official site posted earlier - absolutely beautiful! There's no question that each location will be done justice :love:

What's with the comments about Corey? I like the guy, but he's no actor... It's like some of you actually want this to flop or something.
It's hard not to feel bad for him considering he's done 3 games and been an active part of this franchise for 20 years, with alot of goodwill within the community. I for one appreciate everything he's done in linking with the fans over time.

However they've taken a different VO course and it does sound excellent. I think it was needed to dispel the "bad acting" thing (despite some being more than OK) and set a line that they've got a different creative direction. I'm all for it and most people I've seen seem to be. But they're expressing empathy for Corey. I don't see how that links.

Last edited:
Looks as good as a "Shenmue Anime" could get. I don't think it's possible to capture the essence of Shenmue in a non-game form, so this will never ever be a replacement to the games nor an acceptable path for a continuation (for me at least).

But it looks like a genuinely amazing anime, even if it wasn't Shenmue, I'd watch it.

I saw the japanese trailer now too and I like it even better than the latest English Trailer. I really hope crunchy roll offers the japanese dub here in Austria. The Anime looks really cool. As Shenmue Anime and even as a standard anime. I think I would also watch it if I weren't a Shenmue Fan.

It's hard not to feel bad for him considering he's done 3 games and been an active part of this franchise for 20 years, with alot of goodwill within the community. I for one appreciate everything he's done in linking with the fans over time.

However they've taken a different VO course and it does sound excellent. I think it was needed to dispel the "bad acting" thing (despite some being more than OK) and set a line that they've got a different creative direction. I'm all for it and most people I've seen seem to be. But they're expressing empathy for Corey. I don't see how that links.
My comment was a bit blunt, but I just don't see Corey as a good actor. It never even occured to me that they would use any of the original cast. I get that it might seem harsh that Masaya kept the Japanese role, but at the end of the day, he is an actor who has had numerous roles and tons of anime gigs. Corey isn't and as much as I love how dedicated to the community he is, how down to earth he is and even his voice as Ryo in the games, I couldn't really envision him as Ryo in an anime adaption. I also thought he sounded kinda rough in Shenmue 3, if I'm being truthful.

I don't mind recasting, it's a new adaptation, but Lan Di's new english voice I really don't like. He needs to sound more intimidating and mysterious imo.
Agreed, this is what threw me off the most. I am fine with recasting, I expected it anyway, but I don't think they got a lot of the voice actors right for some of these characters.

Compare it to the voice acting from the Japanese actors and it's a night and day difference. The tone of most of the English cast feels off.

I still think regardless that Corey should have been tapped. Cause from a look he hasn't said anything publically about the anime. So, yes, that could be bad. I don't see why he couldn't be the VO for the English dub if they kept the Japanese VO from the game version. It's sort of a slap in the face just a little. The new guy is cool and all. But, it would have made the pop for the anime seem a little more special than it already is. Even moreso if Yu worked closely with the anime.

When the action kicked in (JP trailer) my brother said, "now there's the whacked-out anime music" :ROFLMAO:

I don't mind the remixed theme at the beginning, but they've simplified the melody a lot. I hope it builds to the real melody eventually.

Also, yes, 'you bastard!' is a lot better than the cartoonish 'why you!' we got in the English game :coffee:

Back