Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

I wonder if epiosde 5 or 6 will end with a change, where Ryo encounters Lan Di before he gets on the boat. That might be a more dramatic way to end the Yokosuka act.

Chai has been defeated in the first episode so he isn't as threatening any more. Perhaps they knock Guizhang unconscious and Ryo becomes too distracted by his friend's injury, leaving Lan Di to escape. I suspect there is going to be a lot more Lan Di scenes for the sake of drama in a new form of medium.

If Shenmue 3 gets a anime adaptation I hope the Save Shenmue Museum makes a debut. They don't have to go inside just a visual of a huge sign on the building. Ryo could even have a quick line about it.

Ryo: Look at this...Save Shenmue. What a strange temple, I feel...I feel a strong connection to it.

I wonder if epiosde 5 or 6 will end with a change, where Ryo encounters Lan Di before he gets on the boat. That might be a more dramatic way to end the Yokosuka act.

Chai has been defeated in the first episode so he isn't as threatening any more. Perhaps they knock Guizhang unconscious and Ryo becomes too distracted by his friend's injury, leaving Lan Di to escape. I suspect there is going to be a lot more Lan Di scenes for the sake of drama in a new form of medium.
I know a lot people say Chai is defeated, but I don't think so. It's just like if you beat him in the arcade. He can still be a menace and/or threat just because he "lost" in the dojo.

I’m about ready to just hope the story is finished in anime form. As much as I would like to play the story I don’t have much hope for the series to be finished in game form. One huge downside is that so much of the content of what makes Shenmue Shenmue would be lost. I just need to know how the story ends. There are so many mysteries we haven’t even begun to uncover.

I’m about ready to just hope the story is finished in anime form. As much as I would like to play the story I don’t have much hope for the series to be finished in game form. One huge downside is that so much of the content of what makes Shenmue Shenmue would be lost. I just need to know how the story ends. There are so many mysteries we haven’t even begun to uncover.
I think we will get both and maybe the end in anime form first. But I am sure we will get both

I would be incredibly disappointed if the story is finished in anime form, but it's what I expect to happen now. The way the story is being told in the anime is nowhere near as satisying as it is in game form for me. It's as you say, we are losing so much of the content that makes Shenmue Shenmue. Without it, the story feels hollow and its an almost soulless version of Shenmue.

I would rather Shenmue was completed as a Visual Novel than an anime. It's not perfect, but I would prefer it over an anime because they can flesh things out more and make it a more interactive experience like the games were. With 20 years of Shenmue being an interactive experience for me, there is no possible way I could be satisfied with the rest of the story being a visual story only. It's better than nothing, but that is all it would be for me.

An anime has so many more restrictions to it compared to something like a visual novel. A Visual Novel doesn't have the same budget and time restrictions placed on it like an anime would. You can have a story planned out, but an anime studio may not give the episodes you need to tell the story in a satisfying way. A good example of this is books being adapted into movies, the movie is almost always the worse experience for me, because budget and time restrictions often get in the way of covering the entire book. They always cut corners. Things like extra character development, world building and even plot points are cut or changed from the books to fit the budget and time restrictions of a movie. It's always the worst way to experience the story. This is how I feel about the Shenmue anime.

Maybe it's not my place to say, but the tone of this post is a little too personal and insulting for my taste. All Hermit did was say how he FEELS about the story, using incredibly subjective adjectives at that. I really love the anime so far and contrary to Hermit feel it is actually a very heartfelt adaption, but I don't know. I just wish you didn't come at it like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's not my place to say, but the tone of this post is a little too personal and insulting for my taste. All Hermit did was say how he FEELS about the story, using incredibly subjective adjectives at that. I really love the anime so far and contrary to Hermit feel it is actually a very heartfelt adaption, but I don't know. I just wish you didn't come at it like this.
All Jibby did was say how they felt about Hermit's opinion of the anime. I find it quite irritating how it's always fine to bitch and moan endlessly about the most minor things regarding Shenmue, but the moment there's any pushback whatsoever on any negative opinion re: Shenmue, the waterworks start and things are suddenly "getting personal and insulting."

It only ever tracks that way, too. You never see people who are stoked on Shenmue 3/the anime whinging about how they're being insulted/attacked because other people don't also love Shenmue 3/the anime. It's like the negative folk must have their opinions validated by everybody else, constantly. It's just silly, and it's the one thing that really fucks me off about this forum.

It's a discussion forum. There are going to be disagreements. Jibby didn't say anything insulting whatsoever - that's an absolutely absurd claim. There's nothing wrong with their tone, either. It's fine to think someone elses' opinion is total bollocks and say as much.

The mods and staff here do such an amazing job trying to keep this community from tearing itself apart, which for some reason, certain members seem absolutely hellbent on doing.

I would be incredibly disappointed if the story is finished in anime form, but it's what I expect to happen now. The way the story is being told in the anime is nowhere near as satisying as it is in game form for me. It's as you say, we are losing so much of the content that makes Shenmue Shenmue. Without it, the story feels hollow and its an almost soulless version of Shenmue.

I would rather Shenmue was completed as a Visual Novel than an anime. It's not perfect, but I would prefer it over an anime because they can flesh things out more and make it a more interactive experience like the games were. With 20 years of Shenmue being an interactive experience for me, there is no possible way I could be satisfied with the rest of the story being a visual story only. It's better than nothing, but that is all it would be for me.

An anime has so many more restrictions to it compared to something like a visual novel. A Visual Novel doesn't have the same budget and time restrictions placed on it like an anime would. You can have a story planned out, but an anime studio may not give the episodes you need to tell the story in a satisfying way. A good example of this is books being adapted into movies, the movie is almost always the worse experience for me, because budget and time restrictions often get in the way of covering the entire book. They always cut corners. Things like extra character development, world building and even plot points are cut or changed from the books to fit the budget and time restrictions of a movie. It's always the worst way to experience the story. This is how I feel about the Shenmue anime.

Everybody wants Shenmue to finish as a video game even Yu Suzuki but we are going to need this anime to get there. Im down for having both. The plus side of finishing as a anime is Yu would be able to tell the Shenmue story in its entirety with characters, side quests and plot. While I did enjoy Shenmue 3 it didn't feel complete. It felt like alot was left on the table.

So I'll concede that my post is perhaps a bit spicy. But I just find Hermit's claim here to be absolutely bewildering.

I'm feel as though I'm quite tolerant to all opinions of the anime here. But this is the first criticism I've read which I believe is completely unsubstantiated, so I'm going to call it out and challenge it. And I'm going to be confrontational when it's such a bold claim.

It isn't my intent to insult anyone or make anything personal. But given Hermit's post history these past weeks + comments on other sites, I'm not totally convinced that he isn't just deliberately being hyperbolic at this point.

I'm not going to take the bait with the rest of the post, I'm just going to point out the two parts of Jibby's post I found insulting.
This shit is just pure childish. I'm not "baiting you." Like you, I'm just saying what I think. If you feel the need to invalidate that instead of address it, cool. I really don't give a shit.

People having disagreements on a discussion forum is perfectly fine. Once again, having to baby the negative folk around here in case they erupt in tears for the 1000th time is just tiresome.

This shit is just pure childish. I'm not "baiting you." Like you, I'm just saying what I think. If you feel the need to invalidate that instead of address it, cool. I really don't give a shit.

People having disagreements on a discussion forum is perfectly fine. Once again, having to baby the negative folk around here in case they erupt in tears for the 1000th time is just tiresome.
Ok.👌

Everybody wants Shenmue to finish as a video game even Yu Suzuki but we are going to need this anime to get there. Im down for having both. The plus side of finishing as a anime is Yu would be able to tell the Shenmue story in its entirety with characters, side quests and plot. While I did enjoy Shenmue 3 it didn't feel complete. It felt like alot was left on the table.
Agreed - I think everyone's, or most everyone's preference would be to finish the story in game form. Given the quality of the anime series so far, it seems fans are opening up to the possibility of accepting the story being finished in anime form if the games aren't viable.

At some point I was probably in the camp that wanted the game or nothing, but I'd definitely accept the story being finished in anime form if that was the only option. Best case scenario is both the games and anime because I'm really enjoying the anime series. Me and a friend who don't watch anime are completely pumped from what we've been seeing so far.

Interesting to see the Shenmue fandom turn into every other fandom out there. I honestly thought this was one of the most chilled fandoms around, but seeing how some of you have reacted to my posts, that is obviously not the case and it's just as bad as any other.

I have highly praised Shenmue since I first joined this forum, never said a bad word against it, but as soon as I started sharing my thoughts on the anime, some of you turn into raging fanboys because it's not what you want to hear. I said it felt hollow and soulless because it was missing the content from the games that I personally felt gave it all of its soul. I don't see anything wrong with having this opinion. And yes, I fully understand that the Shenmue anime can't be like the game, I don't expect to see Ryo feeding the cat everyday and asking everybody in Dobuita if they know of any sailors near by or see him trying to break every high score in the arcade, but this is what made Shenmue special too me. The slow day to day life of Ryo, that homely feeling and atmosphere it gave off and how I felt in control of it all is the soul of Shenmue from my perspective, and not having that same experience in anime form, even if I fully understand why it's not there, makes the anime and it's story feel hollow and soulless too me.

Until now, I have never once got personal with any of you, but I don't see why I should accept the bullshit accusations aimed my way by the likes of @DarksideHazuki @Jibby, and a few others too. I deliberately took a break from talking about the anime for two weeks on this site because it got to the point where I thought I couldn't post my thoughts on it without some of you getting all pissy. You don't see me going after others opinions and using words like hyperbolic because they think it's a 10/10 greatest anime ever. No, I allow them to have those opinions because who the hell am I to invalidate those opinons? If you don't agree with my posts, go ahead and disagree with them, but those of you calling me and anybody sharing crticisms of the show fake fans can fuck right off, like that ShadowMonkey clown on MAL. Who are any of you to say who is and isn't a fan of Shenmue? You call my opinions on here and on MAL hyperbolic over recent weeks, but I haven't even fucking said anything about the anime recently. I haven't discussed anything on MAL about the series at all since the first episode dropped, and even then, it was like 3 posts!.........and I'm the one accused of being hyperbolic?

Is this how it's going to be now? Are some of you going to be following my posts on here and on MAL making sure I toe the line like a toxic fanboy echo chamber?

Christ alive I wake up and all hell breaks loose.

Firstly this is a Shenmue fan forum. If there's going to be anywhere that's going to have a majority positive spin on Shenmue.... well its going to be here. We had this with Shenmue 3 and we took a very careful line to ensure all views were heard. However, I draw the line at negative views being censored/silenced.

That's complete trash and I'd point to any of the Shenmue 3 topics to substantiate that.

Secondly, you're welcome to a negative view. Carry on, but don't expect it to not be challenged by a predominantly positive reaction on these forums. It works the same way on the other side of the fence as well. The biggest issue I had with the Shenmue 3 stuff, which is being seen here, is a refusal to accept that someone can enjoy something another didn't. It's all subjective at the end of the day but I'm not going to tell the guys who liked the Anime to back off when it's clearly the feeling of the forums and is communicated in a broadly acceptable manner.

That's not being fanboyish, that's the general feel of these forums and wider about the Anime. One look at social media will tell you how well this Anime has done thus far.

@Jibby has admitted further up his post was a little to the line. That's fine.

@Hermit you're entitled to your view and it is welcomed here. However it is going to be challenged by the general vibe here, one I want to facilitate as it translates to Shenmue being in the mainstream eye. See twitter trends from yesterday. I've not read all your posts, I don't have the time to but I am intrigued as to why you don't connect with the Anime.

So yeah in short this line of discussion is now done. DM me if needed.

Interesting to see the Shenmue fandom turn into every other fandom out there. I honestly thought this was one of the most chilled fandoms around, but seeing how some of you have reacted to my posts, that is obviously not the case and it's just as bad as any other.

I have highly praised Shenmue since I first joined this forum, never said a bad word against it, but as soon as I started sharing my thoughts on the anime, some of you turn into raging fanboys because it's not what you want to hear. I said it felt hollow and soulless because it was missing the content from the games that I personally felt gave it all of its soul. I don't see anything wrong with having this opinion. And yes, I fully understand that the Shenmue anime can't be like the game, I don't expect to see Ryo feeding the cat everyday and asking everybody in Dobuita if they know of any sailors near by or see him trying to break every high score in the arcade, but this is what made Shenmue special too me. The slow day to day life of Ryo, that homely feeling and atmosphere it gave off and how I felt in control of it all is the soul of Shenmue from my perspective, and not having that same experience in anime form, even if I fully understand why it's not there, makes the anime and it's story feel hollow and soulless too me.

Until now, I have never once got personal with any of you, but I don't see why I should accept the bullshit accusations aimed my way by the likes of @DarksideHazuki @Jibby, and a few others too. I deliberately took a break from talking about the anime for two weeks on this site because it got to the point where I thought I couldn't post my thoughts on it without some of you getting all pissy. You don't see me going after others opinions and using words like hyperbolic because they think it's a 10/10 greatest anime ever. No, I allow them to have those opinions because who the hell am I to invalidate those opinons? If you don't agree with my posts, go ahead and disagree with them, but those of you calling me and anybody sharing crticisms of the show fake fans can fuck right off, like that ShadowMonkey clown on MAL. Who are any of you to say who is and isn't a fan of Shenmue? You call my opinions on here and on MAL hyperbolic over recent weeks, but I haven't even fucking said anything about the anime recently. I haven't discussed anything on MAL about the series at all since the first episode dropped, and even then, it was like 3 posts!.........and I'm the one accused of being hyperbolic?

Is this how it's going to be now? Are some of you going to be following my posts on here and on MAL making sure I toe the line like a toxic fanboy echo chamber?
wFxcuEn.png

Back