Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

As much as we're all enjoying the show right now, I wonder how our reactions will be when it adapts the Shenmue II portions. The story and all its supporting and minor characters all have compelling fan favorite moments and I'm sure a large number are going to get cut out.

Considering how beloved Shenmue II's story is amongst the fanbase, is it possible we may see the show be more divisive when the series adapts it?

As long as there is xiuying fanservice it'll be a 10/10 in my book 👀

But in all seriousness I hope they do the characters in 2 justice. It's my favorite game of all time and there is... A lot to unpack from that game. I hope they can animate some of the optional things from fangmei and others. Maybe cut out parts such as defeating all of those martial artists, and instead just defeat one to access the Yellow Head building. Small shortcuts like that may be alright.

as long as there is xiuying fanservice it'll be a 10/10 in my book 👀

Absolute agreement there. I think the only 2 characters I really need them to do justice is Xiuying and Ren. I don't want Xiuying to be a one episode appearance like Yamagashi. She needs to at be a constant presence the way Nozomi has been and I'm pretty confident the show will do that. Everyone else like Guixiang, Wong, and Delin I can live with as either reduced or cut content.

I feel fairly confident that Ryo will learn the Wude, even if it is very truncated. This could happen in one episode even. I think things like Greg, Chunyan, and Rod will be cut...and we know Yang and Baihu will make an appearance. I imagine a loose breakdown of the season could go as follows:

5 - 70 Man Battle, Nozomi rescue, leave for Hong Kong
6 - Arrival in Hong Kong, bag stolen, Man Mo Temple & Hanhui
7 - Wude and meeting Xiuying
8 - Wulinshu, Chawan signs, Zhang meeting
9 - meet Ren (maybe we will meet him in Kowloon straight away under to cut Beverly Hills Wharf?)
10 - Kowloon - Yang, Ren & Ryo handcuffed & escape
11 - Ghost Hall, Zhu is kidnapped, access to Yellow Head Building, Yuan encounters
12 - Yellow Head Building, Baihu
13 - Defeat of Dou Niu on the rooftop, meet with Zhu, arrival in Guilin

Absolute agreement there. I think the only 2 characters I really need them to do justice is Xiuying and Ren. I don't want Xiuying to be a one episode appearance like Yamagashi. She needs to at be a constant presence the way Nozomi has been and I'm pretty confident the show will do that. Everyone else like Guixiang, Wong, and Delin I can live with as either reduced or cut content.
I imagine she'll have a huge role in the anime. She teaches and protects Ryo in Shenmue II, and her brother Ziming is part of the Chiyoumen (and 99% likely to be one of the four leaders, unless I missed some uncovered fan info the past few years). I can't see her role being reduced.

I imagine she'll have a huge role in the anime. She teaches and protects Ryo in Shenmue II, and her brother Ziming is part of the Chiyoumen (and 99% likely to be one of the four leaders, unless I missed some uncovered fan info the past few years). I can't see her role being reduced.
Besides Yu personally saying that he is not one of the four leaders...though I think this may have been a little bit of intentional deception...

It's been a while so I think that original theory that was discussed here when S2 was released got stuck in my head, then I took a bit of a break here for a while so I must have missed those updates. Thanks for the info!

I think she'll be there just as much. If anything, she will probably fill the Nozomi role considering Nozomi is gone after Yokosuka.

As for Shenmue II...my only hope is they get the WUDE right. But more importantly than that, given how much they've added in fringes...I wonder how they will expand on SII's story. Will see more Xiuying's relationship to her brother than what we did in the games?

It's been a while so I think that original theory that was discussed here when S2 was released got stuck in my head, then I took a bit of a break here for a while so I must have missed those updates. Thanks for the info!
You can check out the following interviews for some more information. Keep in mind this was well before Shenmue 3 announcement so things could have changed and frankly it appeared at the time Suzuki had either forgotten some details or wasn’t so concerned about certain lore.

Master Baihu might be one of the 4 leaders, the white tiger but he's kind of pathetic so Tentei replaces him with Ziming, who also dresses in white and could fit the white tiger.

Just dropping this in here if anybody wants to come hang out, chat Shenmue, and donate to a good cause.

Remember: NO anime spoilers as Matt and James are going in blind later tonight for the live watchalong.

I know I’m thinking “too realistically,” but read me out. I say if Iwao had to get the mirrors out of China, he had to do it illegally. Now that we know that the mirrors are imperial artifacts, you don’t want customs to know. If they were at all reported stolen in the past, Iwao would be arrested on the spot. Or if they weren’t, he would probably have to pay a lot of money to bring them into the country if they exceed $10,000USD. So he had no choice but to take a criminal route in order to get the mirrors out. But with Zhu, he has a method of getting them out without getting caught by the authorities.

I say Chen and Zhu probably just largely engage in illegal imports so they don’t have to deal with customs, taxes, etc, and that’s as “criminal” as they get.

Yeah, he confirmed Ziming is NOT one of the leaders, but an ascended henchman (as the IIx comic shows, something like Niao Sun's Dragon, which I think makes total sense).

Master Baihu might be one of the 4 leaders, the white tiger but he's kind of pathetic so Tentei replaces him with Ziming, who also dresses in white and could fit the white tiger.

STOP IT.

Again, not ragging you for your theories, but the creator of the entire series has shot down these theories for almost a decade now.

Yeah, he confirmed Ziming is NOT one of the leaders, but an ascended henchman (as the IIx comic shows, something like Niao Sun's Dragon, which I think makes total sense).

STOP IT.

Again, not ragging you for your theories, but the creator of the entire series has shot down these theories for almost a decade now.
Ziming wasn't in 3,despite being believed to be Niao Sun's right hand man, you think he would have helped her in the coup against Lan Di. I feel if 4 is made that the plot may still be in a state of flux, even the purpose of the Mirrors have been presented differently in all 3 of the games.

She didn't have ANY henchmen though, other than low-ranking CYM. Like how Lan Di went to Japan and HK without his right hand guys (the guys dispatched by Ryo and Ren), I would have to think Ziming would stay back at their southern HQ... but that's speculation on our part.

I can't see Ziming NOT being in IV at this point.

Back