Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Not a chance. I wouldn't even humour the idea if I were you.

Nah Shenmue 3 will not come to stadia lmaooo

I appreciate the new website Deep Silver but why are we still using the old prophecy trailer? smh

because thats the official Deep Silver teaser trailer for the public,
the latest trailer from Monaco is a little gift for Magic Monaco.
Deep Silver didnt even upload that trailer on their channel. so you could say that the Magic Monaco trailer is not a official trailer.

An interesting tidbit from the new Shenmue 3 website

WHAT IF I HAVEN’T PLAYED SHENMUE AND SHENMUE II?

Don’t worry! Shenmue III includes a special “recap digest” movie created by Yu Suzuki that retells Ryo Hazuki’s story from the beginning. Players can also speak to non-player characters they encounter to learn all about the events of the first two Shenmue games.

Wonder who these NPCs who know Ryo's story from the first two games. Shenhua will know what Ryo told her. So will Ren.

But they dont know everything so who else could fill in this role? Could it be that the telephone card is for everyone now and we can talk about what happened with friends from the old games?

Could it be that the telephone card is for everyone now and we can talk about what happened with friends from the old games?
This was sort of revealed or implied a while back in a Yu Suzuki interview. The Phone Card may hold exclusive conversations though, perhaps?

But Yu definitely said he intends to use the phone booth as a recap system when talking to other characters.

Wonder who these NPCs who know Ryo's story from the first two games. Shenhua will know what Ryo told her. So will Ren.

Alternatively, Ryo will tell them about events in the first two games and a player new to the series can learn from that.

Found myself wondering today whether all of the moves from the first two games will be included in the third game or whether they don’t want to waste time and money motion capping certain moves. If the latter is the case, could this be one of the reasons why they don’t plan to carry over save files?

Found myself wondering today whether all of the moves from the first two games will be included in the third game or whether they don’t want to waste time and money motion capping certain moves. If the latter is the case, could this be one of the reasons why they don’t plan to carry over save files?
All or most moves, apart from grapple/throws I think, as there are no throw moves in Shenmue III.

They don't plan on carrying over save files from Shenmue I & II because it was developed by a different team, and Shenmue III was already in development when I & II were being worked on.

All or most moves, apart from grapple/throws I think, as there are no throw moves in Shenmue III.

They don't plan on carrying over save files from Shenmue I & II because it was developed by a different team, and Shenmue III was already in development when I & II were being worked on.
That doesn’t strike me as particularly good reason. It’s a continuation of the story and so I can’t see why the team being different should have any bearing on their decision. Assuming the majority of the moves and items are going to be in the new game, it would make sense for them to be carried over. I’d be very surprised if some of the story based items aren’t carried over by default (photos and the like). Even if development was underway, I can’t imagine it would be immensely complicated to implement. They’d just need some code to check certain parameters from the previous save file and update markers in the new game to reflect the values read. As I type this, it strikes me that as somebody with no coding experience and very limited experience with the unreal engine that I’ve no idea how complicated that is. I guess they have their reasons and assuming the game is as good as I’m hoping, I guess the lack of this function wouldn’t hurt the experience of playing too much in the grand scheme of things. It would be nice though...

It's probably not complicated at all technically, but more just the fact Shenmue III is developed separately from Shenmue I & II under different business arrangement, and had to assume a blank slate for a good chunk of its production.

Assuming the majority of the moves and items are going to be in the new game, it would make sense for them to be carried over. I’d be very surprised if some of the story based items aren’t carried over by default (photos and the like).

There's a sort of matrix of complicating factors. First of all, I expect items important to the story (e.g., the photo of Iwao Hazuki with ???) will certainly be carried over. For other, nonessential items, like particular capsule toys, many of them were Sega characters which apparently were not part of the agreement between YsNet and Sega and would have required additional licensing.

As for carrying over the progress with moves/training, it could be that they just wanted to re-balance the fighting engine since it is being built from scratch this time and, as mentioned above, will not include throw moves.

Shenmue I-II progress was never going to carry over simply because they had an engine switch. And honestly, at least it also allow them a clean start for everyone. Keep in mind save carrying can also lead to bugs.

Shenmue I-II progress was never going to carry over simply because they had an engine switch. And honestly, at least it also allow them a clean start for everyone. Keep in mind save carrying can also lead to bugs.

The engine switch is irrelevant; a ton of things changed between Shenmue I and Shenmue II engine-wise (and save data-wise too). It's exactly as Spaghetti and Zoyous said above - licensing between the parties involved, both with regards to the contents of the save files as well as their formats.

Back