Random Shenmue III Thoughts

While im still hoping Shenmue 3 gets delayed until after the Fall, I hear those who say Deep Silver must have a thought out marketing strategy given their investment.

Personally, after seeing that new Walmart trailer, part of me thinks SONY is gonna promote the game heavily aswell.

While im still hoping Shenmue 3 gets delayed until after the Fall, I hear those who say Deep Silver must have a thought out marketing strategy given their investment.

Personally, after seeing that new Walmart trailer, part of me thinks SONY is gonna promote the game heavily aswell.
I hope they do. They have a massive reach in terms of YouTube and social media. Well beyond Deep Silvers

People harp on Yakuza comparisons, but it is still a niche title. I've never played a single entry, myself..

There is a much larger market for niche titles these days. I mean, who the Hell keeps buying all these Atelier games? They plunk out another every 6 months and seemingly sell enough to warrant another in the US.

What I mean by that is I think that Shenmue IV will happen. I think a near $8 million Kickstarter almost assures the interest is there. It still routinely hits Most Anticipated lists even now, several years after it was funded.

Yu has contributed an immeasurable amount to the gaming industry and if his "going out" wish is to finish the series he began, I firmly believe someone(DS, Sega, or otherwise) will step up to that plate.

People harp on Yakuza comparisons, but it is still a niche title. I've never played a single entry, myself..

There is a much larger market for niche titles these days. I mean, who the Hell keeps buying all these Atelier games? They plunk out another every 6 months and seemingly sell enough to warrant another in the US.

What I mean by that is I think that Shenmue IV will happen. I think a near $8 million Kickstarter almost assures the interest is there. It still routinely hits Most Anticipated lists even now, several years after it was funded.

Yu has contributed an immeasurable amount to the gaming industry and if his "going out" wish is to finish the series he began, I firmly believe someone(DS, Sega, or otherwise) will step up to that plate.

Yeah but Shenmue costs far more to make than a Yakuza game or an Atelier game. Yakuza games have great visuals because they have extreme cost measures and reuse a shiton of assets (especially the map).

Yeah but Shenmue costs far more to make than a Yakuza game or an Atelier game. Yakuza games have great visuals because they have extreme cost measures and reuse a shiton of assets (especially the map).

Very true. The good news is, now that Shenmue 3 has been made, the ground work for a reusable engine with Shenmue assets is now in place.

In this interview Cedric said Shenmue 4 is 50/50 if 3 doesn't succeed.

Basically as long as it makes money I think we will be ok. But we do need to give everything to help where we can. Not just in terms of buying the game but word of mouth, getting it out there etc.
I actually have a rogue marketing plan just need some folks to help.

please not the Yakuza comparisons again.
we talked about EVERYTHING on 100 pages in 20 different threads.
how many times do we need to read the same sentences
Sexy Japanese dude with spiky hair who drinks from vending machines, plays SEGA arcade games, has pussy thrown at him by cute babes, and beats the fuck out of fools?

They're the same game. Fight me.

Very true. The good news is, now that Shenmue 3 has been made, the ground work for a reusable engine with Shenmue assets is now in place.

Yes, but even then, it'll still be a massive work. We know (at least if plans didnt change) that the whole Shenmue saga is taking place in multiple places in China. If Shenmue IV were to happen, you can bet that it'd move from Bailu/Chobu/Baisha to another place. So it'll still be a lot to create.

Just imagine all the PlayStation and PC Kiosks around the World promoting Shenmue III on the lead up to the release day. Imagine a free Shenmue III demo promoted on PSN and PC marketplaces like Steam, Epic, etc around the World... Imagine all the Shenmue III commercials and advertisements around the World... Imagine the eventual Nintendo, Xbox, etc hype... Just imagine...

Just imagine all the PlayStation and PC Kiosks around the World promoting Shenmue III on the lead up to the release day. Imagine a free Shenmue III demo promoted on PSN and PC marketplaces like Steam, Epic, etc around the World... Imagine all the Shenmue III commercials and advertisements around the World... Imagine the eventual Nintendo, Xbox, etc hype... Just imagine...

I like to imagine S1+2 as a free PS Plus game before 3 is released.

100% this... only problem is I don't think Yu is going to want to recycle Kamurocho for the next four games or so, so making new areas will still cost money.

Cant ever remember deep silver ever having a demo for any of their games,correct me if im wrong. Hope this is their first,lol

Here's some random data from google which is quite interesting

Shenmue 3 based on web searches is most popular in the following countries

1. UK
  2. Portugal
  3. France
  4. Finland
  5. United States
  6. Hong Kong
  7. Canada
  8. Kuwait
  9. Ireland
  10. Germany
Interest rose during the release of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, during Magic and is growing right now presumably because of E3 and the small pieces of news coming out everyday.

Shenmue 3 based on Youtube Videos is the most popular in the following countries

1. Luxembourg
  2. Brunei
  3. United Kingdom
  4. Portugal
  5. Hong Kong
Interest spiked during Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, Magic and is slowly rising again now.

If you're in the USA, Shenmue 3 is most popular in the following Regions

1. Montana
  2. North Dakota
  3. Kentucy
  4. Rhode Island
  5. Louisiana
Good to see Hong Kong on that list. Make out what you will from the list.

Seeing as how China is a potential lucrative market in the making the fact there’s a lot of interest coming from Hong Kong is a good sign. I am not surprised though since the Shenmue series portrays Chinese culture in a very positive light.

Cant ever remember deep silver ever having a demo for any of their games,correct me if im wrong. Hope this is their first,lol

Yu Suzuki back in the Kickstarter days said there would be a demo, not deepsilver. Apparently there will still be one

Highly disagree that EA releasing a AAA Single Player, 3rd person action game, without any loot or GaaS or MTX is anywhere near playing it safe for them, and I disagree that it decreases risk of competing with Shenmue's sales.

Personally for me now that I saw the gameplay Jedi Fallen Order is going to be very hard to not buy over other games .

Highly disagree that EA releasing a AAA Single Player, 3rd person action game, without any loot or GaaS or MTX is anywhere near playing it safe for them, and I disagree that it decreases risk of competing with Shenmue's sales.

Personally for me now that I saw the gameplay Jedi Fallen Order is going to be very hard to not buy over other games .
Look man, whatever happens, please realize that S3 needs your money at launch way more than DS, P5R, or Star Wars.

Last edited:
Back