Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Why Not Both?

Being a fan of both is way better than being a fan of one or the other :)

Anyways, does anyone know if Arm Wrestling will be in Shenmue III? Has that been mentioned by anyone? I re-started Shenmue II on Steam last night and the first thing I thought was "has anyone mentioned whether arm wrestling will return in III yet?"
That's a good question actually. I don't recall seeing any articles talking about arm wrestling. Even so, I think arm wrestling would certainly be possible, it's the kind of minigame you could potentially see anywhere. You don't need a major cityscape like Hong Kong to justify some underground gambling in Shenmue 3's internal logic.

On the topic of first week/month sales being really important and November being a busy month for release, I just read that Vampyr really struggled its first month and didn't even make a profit at first, but then went on to sell more than a million copies!
I've always been of the opinion Shenmue 3 will be a sleeper.

Yeah the Yakuza is better comments are getting boring. Both are great games but too different to compare as I have said many times.

PS: concerning the graphics Yakuza is not better as Shenmue. :p Shenmue 1 and 2 Looks way better than Yakuza 1 and 2. These games have aged terrible, while Shenmue 1 and 2 still Looks decent thanks to the VGA power of the Dreamcast.

And S3 is graphicwise almost on pair with the later Yakuza Releases.

But I personally like both series equally and would not bash them. I enjoy playing both.

I still remember getting into Yakuza because this very sight had a news post years back when the game was first announced in Japan. Both series are among my favourites ever, I don't see the need to compare the two since they both do things pretty differently, they aren't really all that similar aside from very superficial similarities.
My top two games I'm most impatiently waiting for are Shenmue 3, and Shin RGG, why be a fan of just one when I can enjoy both!

I suppose someone already made the comparison but whatever. The vibes emanating from this screenshot are priceless. This is Shenmue 3... Dreamcast!

(Although the last two images don't come from Shenmue 3's Bailu Village but a removed content from Shenmue 2. But at the time, we all thought it was Shenmue 3)

I suppose someone already made the comparison but whatever. The vibes emanating from this screenshot are priceless. This is Shenmue 3... Dreamcast!

View attachment 3255
View attachment 3256
View attachment 3257

(Although the last two images don't come from Shenmue 3's Bailu Village but a removed content from Shenmue 2)
Although these are (like you said) confirmed to come from a cut village from Shenmue II along the Li River, I can't help but think that Yu has incorporated elements of that village into Shenmue III's Bailu.

Guess people forgot that Ryu Ga Gotoku used to look like this:

And Shenmue used to look like this:

But I guess time and context don't matter to most people.

Shenmue at the time was the fulfillment of 90's FM V-quality cut-scenes as standard in-engine graphical prowess. Yakuza was a step back. RGG was the one originally trying to spiritually clone shenmue's design concepts on a budget. I keep beating this drum but it's a fact, let Yu Suzuki back into the AAA office and rally Am2+Alumnis back for just this series installments alone and SEGA will influence another decade of Open-world designs once the Shenmue vision gets fully and properly fleshed out.

Just watch the e3 Japanese trailer. It appears to be spot on

It is spot on. Sadly I went through both the English and Japanese trailers in GOM Player frame by frame. The Japanese dub is spot on whereas the English dub isn't quite right in a few spots.

View attachment 3255
View attachment 3256
View attachment 3257

(Although the last two images don't come from Shenmue 3's Bailu Village but a removed content from Shenmue 2. But at the time, we all thought it was Shenmue 3)
I remember looking over these shots loads of times back in the day, its really cool that we are seeing this area/idea reused for Shenmue 3. This wait for November is getting harder and harder...

It makes no sense to compare visual results on games that are not in the same genre. The Blair Witch thing is a 1st person game with barely no NPCs and not sure how much different locations, if you have only one location, a handful of NPCs, a linear storyline etc you can focus on aspects that looks great for that kind of game, is like the game about the A Plague Tale Situation. You have a project, you have a budget to complete, you have to make decissions where to invest more money on.

I am not troling either, but for example Kojima with Shenmue 3 budget constrains will make only a Norman Reduus model walking on a Chorma, Norman Reedus would looks awesome, but he will floating on green space.

Yes this comparisions does not make lots of sense. No doubt about it, that there are other low Budget games that Maybe look better then Shenmue 3. But his games work an a smaller scale. They do not try the same thing than Shenmue 3 does.

Shenmue tries to be a AAA game with more open world. It tries do do Things other Studios way have more Money for. The other game just look better because they are small with not so many NPC on the screen.

For the limited Budget Shenmue 3 still Looks amazing. But it is a matter of taste somehow. I am not a fan of real actors used for Video games. I am a bit old School. The Epitome of Character design in Video games is for the Transition from the Ps1/Sega Saturn era to the Dreamcast era.

The realistic characters These days are not my Cup of tea. They just look weird. The tech is not there yet for the realism.

I’m not trolling, but I do have to ask how the new Blair Witch game looks like this, and Shenmue 3 looks like it does. The Blair Witch game has been in development since 2017 and is being made by Bloober Team, a team comprised of less than 40 members.

View attachment 3264View attachment 3265View attachment 3266View attachment 3267
This is aiming for realism. Shenmue III is not aiming for realism.

You want Shenmue III to have a realistic art style. It does not.

That is all that comparisons like this illustrate.

Back