Random Shenmue III Thoughts

hahaha Angry joe is funny guy. I like him. if he ends up playing Shenmue, it will expose the game to a large audience.
Honestly, I don't trust Angry Joe to treat Shenmue 3 fairly in his (hypothetical) review but I can't deny his support would be an advantage.

Because Angry Joe's review of Yakuza 0 really boosted that game and helped the Yakuza series to finally break into the Western mainstream:

All we need is for Shenmue 3 to click with a couple of the big YouTube personalities to really make the game an undeniable success.

I like Angry Joe and his channel a lot. In fact, he's one of my fav youtubers.
He was considering a playthrough of the first 2 Shenmues. Not now I believe.
That sucks.
To have my favourite game, placing in the numer 1 worst game at e3 by my fav youtuber is a strange feeling. LOL
I hope the game is good enough to clean up all this mess and bad press, and he can maybe review it and enjoy it for what it is.
Angry Joe is fine. Shenmue 3 being #1 on his worst thing at e3 list is fine as well. He does not shit on the game. He criticizes the Epic fuck up. Its one of the most common complaints of E3 along with Pokemon. There are unfortunately a lot of Shenmue fans that want to be coddled and throw a fit when ever someone speaks against it, even if it is deserved. They will then somehow in their mind unironically (actually it is incredibly ironic) call anyone who speaks out against the BS a "whiner" or a "hater" and thinks their constant dismissals of legitimate criticisms are also somehow more valid.

I actually agree with AJ. I love the first half of the e3 trailer but I still believe the Epic thing is a massive fuckup. B-roll of Shenmue gameplay aint gonna change that.

Honestly, I don't trust Angry Joe to treat Shenmue 3 fairly in his (hypothetical) review but I can't deny his support would be an advantage.

Because Angry Joe's review of Yakuza 0 really boosted that game and helped the Yakuza series to finally break into the Western mainstream:

All we need is for Shenmue 3 to click with a couple of the big YouTube personalities to really make the game an undeniable success.

There will be Reviews or Lets Play of S3 from Shenmue fans like Michael Huber or Maximilian Dood
and Deep Silver will probably send free keys to Twitch streamers like DansGaming, CohhCarnage and so.
Deep Silver did this for all of their games, so we dont have to worry that nobody will notice the release of Shenmue 3.
But this also means: if the game should be bad in EVERY aspect, then the critics will be super harsh.

Watched through the What's Shenmue VHS again for a look back at the original's progress.

There are so many almost finished scenes from Shenmue that are just a little different. May it be the characters or certain objects and details. There are also clearly multiple different builds shown in the footage and it shows so well just how much a game can still change in a few months.

And that of course leads me to thinking about how Shenmue III can still change oh so much in the time it has until the release. I always keep this thought about old footage of Shenmue in the back my head when new footage of Shenmue III lands. What we've seen so far of the game is likely to be just as different when we play it as What's Shenmue stuff is to the final Shenmue.

Want to mention just one detail especially that I got stuck on. In the You Arcade there is an extra machine that can't be seen in other footage. The one on the far left in this shot.

HyK9HOh.jpg

It is really hard to make out but after looking through some stuff it's clear enough that this is Tranquillizer Gun.
Quite a lot of non Yu Suzuki stuff in the arcade all things considered. Would've been an older, more primitive game even at the time that Shenmue plays in.

page1-462px-TranquillizerGun_VD_JP_flyer.pdf.jpg

Watched through the What's Shenmue VHS again for a look back at the original's progress.

There are so many almost finished scenes from Shenmue that are just a little different. May it be the characters or certain objects and details. There are also clearly multiple different builds shown in the footage and it shows so well just how much a game can still change in a few months.

And that of course leads me to thinking about how Shenmue III can still change oh so much in the time it has until the release. I always keep this thought about old footage of Shenmue in the back my head when new footage of Shenmue III lands. What we've seen so far of the game is likely to be just as different when we play it as What's Shenmue stuff is to the final Shenmue.

I don’t quite agree. While I think there will be tweak and adjustments made to Shenmue III from the footage released thus far (we've already seen examples such as change of design of grandmaster that Ryo fights on the boat, or slightly modified docking scene) you have to understand the original games had such a prolonged development cycle.

Not to mention switching from Saturn to a killer application on Dreamcast afforded the team to significantly update and add more to the visuals, tweak scenarios or in some cases a complete aesthetic overhaul as seen in Hong Kong. I can’t imagine such significant changes with much more traditional development of 3rd title.

The Kickstarter bar has been raised...

Tougher act to follow...but can Ys Net do it?

Also, wondering if this is a veiled shot at Shenmue III...

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. It always had an element of good will and while the game isn't for me I can see why it has reveiwed well. it looks good and is faithful to the originals.

The 2.5d makes the look much easier as detailing can be done in a different way/hidden. Scope wise it doesn't have the same level of scope as Shenmue III. III will be a good game I've no doubt but will divide opinion. Some will focus on the non AAA looks, others won't like the faithful nod to the originals.

However for those who get it, the game will review well and it will be well receieved by fans. I'll be interested to see how sales compare to Bloodstained down the line.

We tend to put ourselves here at the Dojo, the preliminary and primary source for Shenmue fans, as..kind of it.

There are numerous fans of the series, not all of whom are inherent to here. I feel confident the sales of the game will be fine. Even new sales from people to satisfy their curiosity about a game resurrected from the grave of consoles past.

Yeah there's no way Shenmue III can compete critically with a well-made Symphony of the Night rip-off. SotN is a sacred game to so many people and the Metroidvania genre is hugely popular.

Even if Shenmue III delivers the perfect Shenmue experience, that won't be enough to garner universal praise. Some people will still find it boring, awkward etc. The slow pace, the life sim aspects, the mix of gameplay styles, it's all too divisive. We're just gunna have to live with it.

I'm glad Bloodstained turned out well. I'm just personally bummed they didn't attempt to make it in 2D like SotN (and so many indie games have done with their Metroidvanias), because the 2.5D look is all over the shop in my opinion: sometimes it looks great, sometimes it looks extremely bland and cheap. I miss the gorgeous, detailed enemy sprites and lush backgrounds of SotN.

This is from one of the interviews yuc02 translated:

"The battles shown in the demo are all 1-on-1 fights. Ryo’s basic attacks include punches and kicks, and he can unleash special moves and combos if you press certain punch/kick button combinations, which is very much like the system of a dedicated fighting game. Each move can also be leveled up. When a particular move is at a low level, your button input timing needs to be very exact to execute this move, perhaps even stricter than for some dedicated fighters. But once you use the move often enough to level up, the move becomes easier to execute."

Very encouraging news.

Yeah there's no way Shenmue III can compete critically with a well-made Symphony of the Night rip-off. SotN is a sacred game to so many people and the Metroidvania genre is hugely popular.

Even if Shenmue III delivers the perfect Shenmue experience, that won't be enough to garner universal praise. Some people will still find it boring, awkward etc. The slow pace, the life sim aspects, the mix of gameplay styles, it's all too divisive. We're just gunna have to live with it.

People need to stop obsessing with what random people and critics think about Shenmue 3. It will never be a mainstream success, give it up already.

Calling Bloodstained a SotN rip off seems a bit weird to me. It's a spiritual successor made by the same writer/director/programmer. It's Castlevania in all but name, because Konami would relinquish the licence or allow IGA to make another Castlevania.

I wish people would stop using "rip off" or "clone" when describing games, like if you do a game with X element it's yours forever and everyone else is an imitator. This does nothing but make people miss on great games that they would have otherwise played if not for people incessantly labeling it a second rate product. I know plenty of people who missed Silent Hill 1, Parasite Eve 2, Duke freaking Nukem 3D and other so called "clones" at their time of release because of it.

"Clone" was used a lot on the 90s, but less so now. That said, "Zelda clone" is still a thing, but I remember the days when almost every game released was either a "Doom clone", "Zelda clone", "Resi clone", "Mario clone", "Mario Kart clone" and so on.

I agree it wasn't that helpful. Like, as an example, I remember every preview of Eternal Darkness writing it off as "another Resident Evil clone", yet it cane out to outstanding reviews and offered something genuinely new and different from RE.

People need to stop obsessing with what random people and critics think about Shenmue 3. It will never be a mainstream success, give it up already.

I made peace with myself that Shenmue III wont be a critical success. It wont set the charts on fire. It wont review amazingly well.

But there's one thing I'm really worried about:
The game being torn appart. If the game scores like 4/10 or 5/10s across the board... If the game scores under 65 on Metacritic basically or even under 60, consider the game fucked up. Because they reviews will make sure to pass the game as a "broken mess" or a "terrible game you dont want to check even for curiosity".

It's critical for Shenmue III to get decent reviews so that, in the long run, it can hope to reach a decent success.

Back