Random Shenmue III Thoughts

How bad of reviews would Shenmue 3 have to receive to prevent you guys from playing it?

The only thing that would prevent me from playing it would be if it were to be broken as all hell...i'm talking so broken that it ran at 10 fps, crashed every in game hour or so, randomly deleted progress or bricks consoles...and even then, I'd still be trying to play it suffering through the bugs just because after almost 20 years I want to see it through.

So yeah, if a hypothetical completely broken game couldn't stop me from playing then reviews mean nothing :) I could give two shits about reviews for this game. I can already tell you what the review scores will most likely be. Somewhere hovering between 6 and 7. Mostly 7. And the body of most reviews will be the same...it's dated, it plays and looks like a Dreamcast game, it has stilted voice acting, it is not a graphical showcase and blah blah blah.

That is my guess for what reviews will sound like for this game...and I couldn't give two shits. That will not stop me from playing Shenmue III

Found this to be interesting.

Well yeah, Yakuza is an action RPG that tells the story of a Yakuza with a heart of gold trying to get out of the family but always finds himself pulled right back in.

Shenmue is a adventure game that aspires to be a true journey. A martial arts epic of revenge and self discovery.

The only thing they ever had in common was that they both had mini games and they both had fighting as their main means of combat. But even those two are so different from one another. The fighting and mini games in Shenmue really do kind of serve the plot (well some of them do) while the fighting and mini games in Yakuza are mostly just there for distraction.

What I mean is that getting a job in Shenmue is important to the plot. You need money to survive, you need money to make progress. They are trying to integrate that into the story. Whereas the mini games in Yakuza really are just there for distraction...they're fun distractions but they're not vital in anyway to Kiryu's journey. I mean you can own the entirety of Kamurocho in Yakuza 0 through the Real Estate mini games and it means absolutely nothing to the core story...never mentioned again. That illustrates my point...it's all side distraction and nothing more...it's fun but yeah, it doesn't mean anything.

Where as earning money in Shenmue does mean something as it will help Ryo advance and is a way to keep you going.

Even the fighting is different in both games. Every fight in Shenmue serves the plot. You're never just getting into random fights out on the street for no reason. They all serve the plot and they all feed into the serious focus that the game has towards Martial Arts. Whereas Yakuza, the random battles are all typical RPG and are just there to give you XP to unlock new abilities.

I love both franchises to death. They're two of my favorite franchises in gaming. But I never saw them as the same...I've always seen how they differ from one another.

Good write up though, but the people who have only ever played one or the other or none will never be convinced. They'll still peddle the stupid "Yakuza is Shenmue but better" line. Just a shame people will still make those comparisons none the less....even though we all know they're so wrong and that the similarities are all surface.

Just look at the comments in that article, they're still comparing it. Or saying "you're right. Yakuza did it better"

You'll never win with these people.

Last edited:
I played Shenmue 0 because I wanted more Shenmue. I can handle a 'bad' or 'mediocre' Shenmue 3. No review or system launcher will prevent me from playing Shenmue 3.

The only thing that would prevent me from playing it would be if it were to be broken as all hell...i'm talking so broken that it ran at 10 fps, crashed every in game hour or so, randomly deleted progress or bricks consoles...and even then, I'd still be trying to play it suffering through the bugs just because after almost 20 years I want to see it through.

So yeah, if a hypothetical completely broken game couldn't stop me from playing then reviews mean nothing :) I could give two shits about reviews for this game. I can already tell you what the review scores will most likely be. Somewhere hovering between 6 and 7. Mostly 7. And the body of most reviews will be the same...it's dated, it plays and looks like a Dreamcast game, it has stilted voice acting, it is not a graphical showcase and blah blah blah.

That is my guess for what reviews will sound like for this game...and I couldn't give two shits. That will not stop me from playing Shenmue III

I'd still play it if it was a broken mess. However, if Black Ops 4 shows up on the title screen, I'm out.

No I haven't but I've been hearing nothing but positive things about bloodstained.
The Switch port is being savaged and now they’re being accused of selling a broken product. The knives are out!

Kickstarter comments starting to look as negative as ours: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/comments

I think negativity is just a feature of the Kickstarter experience.

Crowdfunding seems to prove something a lot of us could learn something from: developing games is really hard and publishers are risk averse for a reason. Look at how people react to these things. Why would a publisher want to take risks on games that have such flaky fan bases? I’m not surprised sega didn’t want to back a game like Shenmue after what we’ve seen...

Last edited:
The tide turned on Bloodstained rather quickly when people started to realise how rough the game is, and not just the Switch version apparently. I hope Shenmue III avoids a buggy launch.

OMG, a modern game has bugs?....I haven’t seen one of those since...every game ever released. (I can almost guarantee every game ever released has a bug in its code somewhere that couldn’t be ironed out just waiting to be found)

Hell, I finished Days Gone on patch 1.10 and I was still seeing weird bugs. I saw characters fly into the air so many times during that game. Didn’t stop me from Platinuming it though.

Is this really what gamers have become? Entitled whiny little bitches who bitch and moan the first time something doesn’t go their way?

I know not all of us are like this, but I do look at where we are and think “boy, this sub culture really does play host to some absolute whiny entitled little ass wipes”

Was gonna buy Bloodstained but I’m so back logged as is. Will eventually get around to it. But yeah, god help us if Shenmue III is in any way buggy. I’m sure it will be another way that Yu is trying to “steal our money”

Last edited:
The tide turned on Bloodstained rather quickly when people started to realise how rough the game is, and not just the Switch version apparently. I hope Shenmue III avoids a buggy launch.
At least from what I've seen that's thankfully not the case. Where I'm browsing people are still holding the game in surprisingly high regard aside from the switch version.

The Switch port is being savaged and now they’re being accused of selling a broken product. The knives are out!

Kickstarter comments starting to look as negative as ours: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/comments

I think negativity is just a feature of the Kickstarter experience.

Crowdfunding seems to prove something a lot of us could learn something from: developing games is really hard and publishers are risk averse for a reason. Look at how people react to these things. Why would a publisher want to take risks on games that have such flaky fan bases? I’m not surprised sega didn’t want to back a game like Shenmue after what we’ve seen...

As someone who backed the Switch version and received it the other day, I can safely say... It's not even that bad :rolleyes:

OMG, a modern game has bugs?....I haven’t seen one of those since...every game ever released. (I can almost guarantee every game ever released has a bug in its code somewhere that couldn’t be ironed out just waiting to be found)

Hell, I finished Days Gone on patch 1.10 and I was still seeing weird bugs. I saw characters fly into the air so many times during that game. Didn’t stop me from Platinuming it though.

Is this really what gamers have become? Entitled whiny little bitches who bitch and moan the first time something doesn’t go their way?

I know not all of us are like this, but I do look at where we are and think “boy, this sub culture really does play host to some absolute whiny entitled little ass wipes”

Was gonna buy Bloodstained but I’m so back logged as is. Will eventually get around to it. But yeah, god help us if Shenmue III is in any way buggy. I’m sure it will be another way that Yu is trying to “steal our money”

While I don’t advocate for the “Release First; Patch Later” policy modern games lean towards at least they have that option. Imagine today’s gamers growing up playing video games in the 80s before Nintendo came into the picture. You had no idea if the game you spent a lot of money on was actually playable let alone bug free. Also a game having bugs doesn’t automatically make that said game bad. If they don’t completely make the game unplayable then a few bugs is fine. In fact some bugs can be exploited for fun like the W-Item glitch in Final Fantasy VII. Or a bug now can later ascend to a new gameplay mechanic like buffering in Street Fighter. So the bugs in question have to be taken into context before they’re decided that they’re bad.

Video Games are a human creation and humans no matter how talented are flawed. Expecting a video game to be high quality is fine but expecting a video game to be perfect is naive. And honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if any bugs Shenmue 3 has (even if they are eventually ironed out) will be used as ammo against the game.

Last edited:
At least Bloodstained had the foresight to come forward and admit the mistakes and they are working on it.

Gamers tend to be a little nasty, with little to no regard to the hard work people put in, even if it is buggy.

Kingdom Come was a riddled mess when it came out, but they really turned on the heat to listen to criticism and address it. In the end, it ended up being a refreshing entry into open RPGs.

Patches are a blessing and curse. Some use them for laziness, but I don't see that case here. I simply seen another small team who really put a love into their product, sees it needs more TLC and is willing to get to it. It deserves respect, but aside from logical folks, they won't find it amidst some of their "doting backers".

I spent years playing the shit out of, and loving, my copy of WWF No Mercy that would randomly erase all data without warning. That and my bugged to fuck copy of Metropolis Street Racer.
strange. allways thought MSR was a super good game (forgeting the stupid rubber band mechanic).
I think I never had any bugs on that game.

Back