Random Shenmue III Thoughts

While they might have already broken even on the PC version thanks to the Epic deal, it's worth pointing out that if the game sells five copies on PC, neither Epic nor any other company will be rushing to invest in Shenmue IV.

If they wanted to convince people that the game is selling, partnering with Epic was a bad idea.

If they wanted to convince people that the game is selling, partnering with Epic was a bad idea.
The good thing I can see out of the epic deal is that the store has a limited selection of games so it won't get buried by the thousands of games that release on steam. More visibility for Shenmue 3. If this game can get 100k-200k on the epic store then that will be a success when you add PS4 worldwide, China, and future steam release. This game probably will be considered a success at 800k+ given the budget.

The good thing I can see out of the epic deal is that the store has a limited selection of games so it won't get buried by the thousands of games that release on steam. More visibility for Shenmue 3. If this game can get 100k-200k on the epic store then that will be a success when you add PS4 worldwide, China, and future steam release. This game probably will be considered a success at 800k+ given the budget.

Shenmue 3 wouldn't have been buried though.

And no, they wont get 100k to 200k sales for Shenmue 3 on the Epic Store.

Shenmue 3 wouldn't have been buried though.

And no, they wont get 100k to 200k sales for Shenmue 3 on the Epic Store.
The amount of games on steam I reckon it would get buried. They would have to pay for decent coverage on steam.

Epic sales... I tend to agree with you but could be wrong. The increased front page exposure might generate more sales and it will be there longer than steam. Of course theres less of an install base on epic but we cant legislate for the ones who haven't expressed an issue either way with epic. They will be the ones who drive the initial PC sales. Theres plenty out there who dont know about the epic history as a store.

Last edited:
The amount of games on steam I reckon it would get buried. They would have to pay for decent coverage on steam.

Epic sales... I tend to agree with you but could be wrong.

Small games gets buried by small games. AA games dont. And Steam doesnt give you coverage based on money paid but based on popularity. It happens that Shenmue III was wishlisted a lot. Which means at release, it had high chances to get a custom add for the entire storefront when it'd release.

You dont get buried when you're sitting high enough in the top wishlist. And Shenmue 3, considering the number of wishlisting and the AA status wouldn't have been buried.

That crystal ball you have must make life a lot easier

Well a crystal ball and knowledge about sales on the platform + how steamworks api/Steam is working.

Small games gets buried by small games. AA games dont. And Steam doesnt give you coverage based on money paid but based on popularity. It happens that Shenmue III was wishlisted a lot. Which means at release, it had high chances to get a custom add for the entire storefront when it'd release.

You dont get buried when you're sitting high enough in the top wishlist. And Shenmue 3, considering the number of wishlisting and the AA status wouldn't have been buried.

Well a crystal ball and knowledge about sales on the platform + how steamworks api/Steam is working.
Have we got a way of quantifiying the Shenmue III wishlist additions. I know the Devs can access it (and all analytics) through the Steamworks Portal but I mean in a public domain.

I was looking for an image last night with no luck, wondering if anyone here might have it.

It was a map/outline of China that had various locations starred and named. If you remember the old Shenmue.com, I believe the image was that color of yellow. However, I am fairly certain it was part of Shenmue Online's promotion.

Despite that, the various locations were thought to possibly be clues for later destinations for Ryo. I believe Hong Kong and Guilin were on the map, and perhaps also Meng Cun and Luoyang, though I could be mistaken.

Anyone remember this?

I was looking for an image last night with no luck, wondering if anyone here might have it.

It was a map/outline of China that had various locations starred and named. If you remember the old Shenmue.com, I believe the image was that color of yellow. However, I am fairly certain it was part of Shenmue Online's promotion.

Despite that, the various locations were thought to possibly be clues for later destinations for Ryo. I believe Hong Kong and Guilin were on the map, and perhaps also Meng Cun and Luoyang, though I could be mistaken.

Anyone remember this?

You thinking of the map shown in the Shenmue Online concept video?

You thinking of the map shown in the Shenmue Online concept video?

View attachment 4025

No, that's not it.

I found this image on Shenmue.com (the "Way Back Machine" is an amazing tool) - it was this same map image, but zoomed out and showed many more locations than these! I still associate the image with Shenmue Online, but I could be mistaken. I remember discussing it on the old forums way back when.

Anyone remember this?

The one this is based on?

If so, I'll have a rummage on my PC later, unless someone else posts it first.

Anyone remember this?
This is the nearest thing I have

Attachments

• mortem9b.jpg
    mortem9b.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 0
This is the nearest thing I have

View attachment 4028

Sorry for the double post, but I had 2 Chinese (well, one's Singaporean) colleagues just go over this map; has it been confirmed for sure that Chapter 5 is the Cave? Because that picture is nowhere near Guilin (well, kinda not near) and Bailu is nowhere near that picture (but is closer to HK).

My mind is spinning over all this lol so sorry if I'm over-thinking it!

Back