Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Sorry guys, I just spent a good 45 minutes looking on the old boards and couldn't find it, not to mention the search function isn't working anymore :(.

I know EXACTLY what @Lan Di-sama is talking about, but can't find it! lol :'(

Thanks for trying! I too remember Korea was also a location, which threw us off a bit casting some doubt as to whether the locations were important or not. A Korean company was involved in SO's development I think.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to this whole Korea thing. Shenmue Online was heavily marketed towards the Korean and Chinese markets, which is probably the reason Korea was shoehorned into SO as a location. Keep in mind that there was never supposed to be a Japanese, let alone a Western version of SO.

SO was co-developed by a Korean company at the beginning but that Korean company severely underperformed and kept missing milestones and deadlines. Sega then kicked them out of the project and gave the development to a Taiwanese company which went bancrupt during the development of SO. The project was in shambles and Sega understandably pulled the plug instead of moving it to yet another developer.

Also keep in mind that SO was never going to be canon story wise.

On a tangent, but Peter is 110% right mentioning in his preview that Shenmue III's combat shouldn't come under too harsh criticism given budgetary restrictions, and what the game had to achieve elsewhere.

I've seen some other posters scoff at that, but he's right. Even apart from the megabudget the originals had, combat in those games had the very rare benefit of being built off the work established in a cutting edge fighting game series. Ys Net started from scratch this time around, and I think all things considered they've done really well to deliver something serviceable that addresses many of the main complaints with combat in the originals.

And honestly? I would be very interested to see what happens with the post-launch support for Shenmue III. Don't forget, this will be the first new game developed by Yu Suzuki - who famously has extended development on his games with tweaking, creating, and changing - where the ability to push patches to the software is completely commonplace.

Who can say what ships on the 19th of November will be exactly the same in a year's time? Ys Net are supposedly on the hook to develop post-launch content for the season pass, so y'know... it's not like they don't have a reason to keep going or the financial backing to do so.

I don't think they'll do anything drastic like adding throw moves, but additional fine-tuning? They just might.

Both are fine, im just saying I would not complain.
Nah I get it.

On another note in retrospect, how things have panned out feels sort of funny considering some ill-judged panic whenever Yu called Shenmue a thinking game, or that there were puzzle game elements to the combat. Some goofs actually thought they were turning Shenmue into a puzzle fighter.

The problem with Shenmue's original fighting engine is that we were spoiled massively. We had a full fighting game engine mixed into a rpg/open world game.

Imagine a new rpg comes out and it just happens to have the street fighter or tekken engine embedded into it. That would be insane. We got that with Shenmue and virtua fighter.

Shenmue 3s fighting system won't be any worse than the current action/rpg games on the market. Yakuza, sleeping dogs, batman, judgement, assassins creed etc etc included.

i dont really care about the VF combat in Shenmue or the brawler combat in Yakuza.
sure it can be fun and there are cool scenes, no doubt, but other combat styles or systems can be fun too,
the fighting part is just like 1/4 for me, even if its bad or boring or whatever
there is still the world and the story and the characters. i see all the fighting stuff just as a bridge to get to the next story part
and i'm more of a story and atmosphere guy. i can forgive them for a clunky fighting system as long as its not super bugged
and there is a great story and world to explore. the game Deadly Premonition is one of my favourite games of all time
because the story is awesome and super unique, but the combat in that game is absolutely terrible. (i'm just ignoring that part)

I actually think the combat is the one thing they could get away with changing completely, without losing the essence of Shenmue. That's already been proven to some degree by the previews that claim the game is 100% Shenmue, despite the combat being different. If they'd have changed anything else: the investigative gameplay, exploration, atmosphere, the focus on making money and playing mini-games, I'm not sure the previews would be saying that so readily.

I think when most people think of Shenmue, they think of those things before the combat -- collecting capsule toys, asking around for X or Y, QTEs, forklifting, lucky hit, the quirky characters etc. etc.

Shenmue's appeal to me was being an open-world realistic RPG with real-time combat. Shenmue III looks to continue that, so I'm happy. Regarding the Yakuza series, I've only completed 0 and am currently slowly going through Kiwami, with Kiwami 2 in my Steam backlog. I'd be happy to just play through the series 0-6 and leave it there, so I doubt I'd be playing 7 even if it had real-time combat. Will be interesting to see how it's received by fans.

The problem with Shenmue's original fighting engine is that we were spoiled massively. We had a full fighting game engine mixed into a rpg/open world game.

Imagine a new rpg comes out and it just happens to have the street fighter or tekken engine embedded into it. That would be insane. We got that with Shenmue and virtua fighter.

Harada liked it so much he have tried to incorporate it into Tekken 6's "campaign" mode. And a few other mini-story modes in the tekken universe. Yu truly broke ground with story-telling, especially in the fighters genre with Shenmue.

Back