Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Stillsense is right though, those red and white discs are always full versions. It doesn't state press or early version or anything, it's even got the day one banner on the front cover too. I can't see DS going to the trouble of making two version for preview purposes. The whole thing is weird. My only thought is that the final PS4 code has been compressed and unpacks during install. The demo code was an earlier build therefore the bigger file size shows a lack of final optimisation. I can't think of any other way.

Regardless, it really doesn't matter. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice was only 12. Good optimisation.

It could be that this is simply the extended trial area being played by previewers recently. I can't remember the Shenmue III PC demo size so not sure how close they are.
Backer trial is just north of 10GB.

This guy likely doesn't have the full game, but I'd be interested if it's either the demo showcased at EGX + PGW, or the two hour preview code (which is 1.02 so...?)

EDIT: If it genuinely is the full game... what the fuck. Looks like blackout time is coming faster than anticipated.

Let’s not forget that PS4 and PC file sizes could easily differ. PC final size could be 20-25 gbs due to potentially higher quality assets and/or audio.
That's true. But still. the difference is so small.
I also don't think he has the full game.
But ofc I'm not sure.
My guess is that that is the demo they are using to showcase the game at preview events, like I was saying ans spaghetti said now.

Guess we will find out soon enough

I don't discard the possibility of that being the full game of course. It just doesn't seem like it.

Backer trial is just north of 10GB.

This guy likely doesn't have the full game, but I'd be interested if it's either the demo showcased at EGX + PGW, or the two hour preview code (which is 1.02 so...?)
I agree with everyone else, it's probably the full game. Isn't 11.9GB the size of the game on disc, but when installed it ends up decompressed & larger? The backer trial is under 7GB if you compress it, decompressed it's around 11GB.

PS4 isn't going to have the highest quality textures and assets due to only having 8GB of RAM. And over 800MB of the backer trial is taken up by the prophecy trailer, which is not going to be there since they'll have the assets to do those scenes in engine.

PS4 is smaller than expected, but this should mean nothing for the quality of the game since we already know what we're getting here.

Someone told me that it could just be a partial install (the 11.9gb) and allows you to start the game but then installs more data whilst you are playing. Another game, Sniper Elite 3 does the same thing.
Quite a few do that these days so that's definitely a possibility.

Lets assume it's legit, there's no reason not to. Spoilers could be coming thick and fast so if anyone was thinking of going dark they may want to very soon. All it takes is one person to break an embargo and then boom all hell breaks loose!

Also pc version could likely have 4k textures so that takes up more room. The game is still estimated to have 100gb storage on pc every update they put out, suprisingly

Nice find Stillsense!

This is actually mad lol I think it's just a bit strange for the dude to be flashing it around on twitch and on his instagram. If I had a mate from Koch/Deep Silver, who gave me a early promo copy, the last thing I'd do is stream the installation and put pictures on social media... Surely he could get his mate in trouble for something like that this early on!

Any way, I believe it to be the full version as white/red label discs always are the full promo copies of the game and I've never heard of one to just be a demo. He streams on Wed/Fri at 7PM/8PM GMT, so I wonder if he will stream any of the actual game lol I doubt it though as he would be the only one to do so, and that would raise a red flag.

Kinda sucks that we know the game is out there now, as we will have to be much more aware of spoilers. I will be treading lightly now and will go full blackout this coming week I think.

Last edited:
Youtube videos that spoil through thumbnail and title are by far the worst because of how unpredictable they are. Imagine watching a completely unrelated video then seeing "Shenmue III -- Niao Sun is Shenhua from the future" pop out of nowhere under recommended.

These three are particularly notorious for spoiling games: Shirrako, Zanar Aesthetics, and Boss Fight Database.

Hmm, the PC demo version was 10.7 GB so fuck knows what's going on?

Maybe only the 2hr trial is available then the rest is unlocked after a certain date? But I really can't see Deep Silver going to that effort if i'm honest and I've not heard anything like that happen for any other game.

The important thing here is there are copies out in the wild so we

A) Know that reviewers already have it and

B) We've got to be really, really careful about spoilers !!!!!

After Magic Kyoto I'm taking a break , I'll share some launch day joy but that's it !

Much love to all you guys lol
Now the PC demo is 6,67 GB

Back